Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Meanwell LDD Driver Input Voltage

ElmoC

Looking to wire up a small LED light using the Meanwell LDD drivers. I understand the basics of doing the wiring, but not sure about the input voltage. I know the drivers consume 3v and on one string I will have 2 LEDs that require 2.95v and a second string on a separate driver using 2.2v. So string one needs 8.9v and string 2 needs 7.4v if I understand correctly. My question is would it be okay to supply 9-12v to both drivers in this configuration or will the extra voltage cause problems?

bdevillier19

If I'm not mistaken you can put 48v to the ldd and still run one led and the driver will only put out what's needed (voltage wise)

If I'm not mistaken you can put 48v to the ldd and still run one led and the driver will only put out what's needed (voltage wise)

That is the feeling I am getting, but hoping to get a definite answer to know for sure. Thanks.

What power supplies are you looking at to power the drivers? Which LED's are you using exactly?

Sorry for all of the questions, but if I can't see all that you are working with, I can't be sure of my answers.

As long as the power supply voltage is higher than the required voltage (and under the upper limit), you will be fine. The drivers step the voltage down to what the LEDs need, regardless of whether the input voltage is way too high, or just a little over. There is a bit of an efficiency hit from having a large delta between the input and output voltages, but it's not enough to worry about.

Thanks Evil. From some other research and having someone explain the graphs on the data sheets, I found that a 12v 2a power supply will work fine. Now to find out how much heat will be generated and see what I have to do for a heat sink.

Archived