inTank Media Baskets

Red Sea NO3: PO4-X as a prophylactic

jkaese

I am just wondering if it would be safe to use this product as a prophylactic treatment in my 75 reef tank, I am going to test my nitrates tonight, but my phosphates always read undetectable by salifert kit. My LFS uses this product in all there tanks even there coral tanks and have amazing results. I have also noticed that I get a brown hard algea on my substrate which is comprised of live sand and very course but small rubble rock, it's not diatoms seems like it is a hard brown algae which also has formed on some of my frags which I can scrape off, has not hurt anything in the tank but I am wondering if it's something that this product can get rid of.

NO3:PO4-X is just a carbon source which allow the present bacteria to consume nitrate and phosphate (bacteria need all three in a specific ratio, close to or at the Redfield Ratio, to reduce any nutrients). It is basically a super expensive version of dosing Vodka, Sugar, and/or Vinegar.

If you aren't farmiliar with dosing carbon or how it works, you need to seriously research it before you use NO3:PO4-X or any other form of carbon dosing.

Archived