Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef Central.....

basser1

Hey Gang......

I'm on here practically every day reading and sometimes posting. But one of the other sites I also read is Reef Central. Now I know there are some N-R members that don't care for RC for different reasons, but they do offer an alternative source for other ideas and information.

Their Tanks of the Month are usually large mega-tanks. So it was with much surprise when I looked at their site this morning and I see a 50 gallon nano cube as their TOTM!! Have they changed their tune?? I like it!! It is a jaw dropping tank, BTW. Course I'm partial to SPS and it is an acro dominated tank.

50_gallon_cube.jpg

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/149-tank-of-the-month

Let's hear it for Nano Tanks!!!!!!!

RC is easily the most censored, profit driven site there is. Mention a vendor who does not sponsor them and you get booted.

Haven't been there for years and don't miss it either. There are 6 or 8 other reef forums that are just as good or better that welcome free speech.

50 gallons is considered a nano to them? Or maybe the question should be what is the maximum size for a nano? What constitutes a nano tank? 50 gallons, to me, seems outside the range for a nano.

Certainly a very beautiful aquarium. It's amazing what can be created in such small spaces and has given me a few more ideas for my new tank build. Thanks for posting.

50 gallons is considered a nano to them? Or maybe the question should be what is the maximum size for a nano? What constitutes a nano tank? 50 gallons, to me, seems outside the range for a nano.

It is compared to some of their other TOTMs.......

Also noticed that the link is to ReefKeeping and not ReefCentral. Are they the same or that just a link to the owner's build thread there?

nano typicall refers to 30 and under, but that's still a pretty small tank to win totm on rc.. and yeah, rc blows, but I do venture over there every once-in-a-while.. heavy handed moderation there and definitely censorship like az said..

anyway, enough about the site, that's a great looking tank! it's freakin packed with stonies and has tons of color!

Also noticed that the link is to ReefKeeping and not ReefCentral. Are they the same or that just a link to the owner's build thread there?

I think they're one in the same, but I've always been curious about it myself.. all the totms are there..

Needs more negative space for my tastes.

I was thinking the same. Even though it's better than anything that I've ever kept.

Dr.Brain Coral

that is a beautiful tank. I had signed up on reef central when I first started but they never got back to me so I found this site. I am glad I didnt get emailed back because this site is amazing

Needs more negative space for my tastes.

I was thinking the same. Even though it's better than anything that I've ever kept.

I think the amazing thing is how good the corals look considering how close they are to each other. This person must be diligent in trimming them back.

What's great about that tank is the way he goes about it. Less is more without going crazy on the equipment. Beautiful setup and he's only been at it 4 years.

What's great about that tank is the way he goes about it. Less is more without going crazy on the equipment. Beautiful setup and he's only been at it 4 years.

Some of the most spectacular tanks I have seen are berlins. He does mention a zeovit reactor but not as a 100% use type of thing which is a cool way to go about it.

Mr. Microscope

lol, that's why I love Nano-Reef. A post like this on RC promoting a N-R TOTM would have been instantly closed and the OP banned for life. Gotta hand it to Chris for being more open about this kinda stuff. Makes for a better, more educated community IMO.

lol, that's why I love Nano-Reef. A post like this on RC promoting a N-R TOTM would have been instantly closed and the OP banned for life. Gotta hand it to Chris for being more open about this kinda stuff. Makes for a better, more educated community IMO.

agreed.. this is the best-run forum I've ever been a member of imo.. the people here are alright too I guess :D

I've been a member on RC since 2008 and here only recently and this is by far my favorite. Were like the bad news bears. A bunch of rebels, outcasts, and general weirdos let us nanonites unite and bring smaller than (insert nano tank cut off size here as it seems to be a mystery) to the world stage.

I didn't intend for this thread to be a "US vs. Them" thing!

Just sayin' it was a nice change to see a small tank win TOTM over there......

Go Nano Tanks!!!!!

im on rc. i find a lot of 'noobs with tudes' over there. whenever they find out what i've shoved into four gallons, they get all bent out of shape... and i've been reefing since the eighties.... i much prefer this site,

RC's okay. I used to frequent it a lot more 7-8 years ago, but it's okay. I tend to be on N-R more, as I don't feel like many people on here are overly judgemental and prone to stereotypes as much as RC. The site can sometimes (not all the time or most of the time, just sometimes) make you feel like if you or your tank don't fit "the mold" then GTFO.

Also, as much as I like looking at the RK TOTMs, I think they've set at times unrealistic or unusual goals and expectations. That may be my biggest complaint about the site, honestly.

Archived