Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Atoll in a M60 : New toy - Hybrid approach...

ManGups

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

They all look so gorgeous! Only one I took a second glance at is the last one- I believe a Digitata? Is it bleaching or Necrosing from the tips?

They all look so gorgeous! Only one I took a second glance at is the last one- I believe a Digitata? Is it bleaching or Necrosing from the tips?

Harry - these are sample pics not the actual one. I still need to get the corals so will watch out for the Digi.

HarryPotter

Harry - these are sample pics not the actual one. I still need to get the corals so will watch out for the Digi.

OH- whoops! Thought these were WYSIWYG :)

OH- whoops! Thought these were WYSIWYG :)

:)

Aqua SD puts up these sales on reef2reef every Saturday. I have been watching them for some time and they really have nice pieces. This is the 2nd time I am getting corals from any online retailer. Keeping fingers crossed :)

growth tips are usually white? looks pretty healthy to me...

HarryPotter

growth tips are usually white? looks pretty healthy to me...

Oh the digitata you can see brown and green growing on the extended white area. Look on the left branch

Doesn't matter though, they're not WYSIWYG. Sorry for the confusion/diversion OP!

Coral are here: Had ordered 8 corals and got like 5 freebies. Now i need to make space for them :)

Some Iphone pics ...

19701568313_64077e0561_k.jpg

20296306586_d18e5ba2c5_k.jpg

20296306586_d18e5ba2c5_k.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 10/08: Rradion/T5 retrofit finally assembled and hung. Using 2 T5 special blue. Need to find tweak the hanging. Will be running the T5 for 4 hrs from 2pm to 6 pm. Radion intensity reduced to 35% with 2 week acclimation.

PS: Pardon the red t-shirt and checked night flannels. Was doing this late night after my 2 yr went to bed.

22049457091_554546cbb9_k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 10/18/2015:

I came home to a big disaster ..The issue is a siphon on the doser which dumped ALK (around 75 ml) into the tank.

Of the 6 fish - 3 were dead and unfortunately I cannot find the other 2 so I presume 5 died.

All Acro's have STNed completely so not sure how may will boune back, Acans, lepto, Zoa, hammer, green monti will make it I think. I have some corals which grew into the rocks so preety much they will not make it. I have taken all corals which I could and put in my 6 gallon tank.

I have the doser and the containers above the tank so that may have caused it. I end of the dosing pipe is atleast 1 inch above water when the return is turned off and the back chambers fill in. I am not sure how it could siphon.

I don't suspect it is a doser issue - since I tested it 10 times before i set it up. I just tested now and it still works fine.

ACTION:

NOT Giving up yet : I will be pretty much starting from scratch so I have siphoned the back chambers, cleaned equipment etc.

I have changed 10 gallon of water and will using Secham salinity for stability while it goes through these chnages. Not sure if it gong to be a new cycle but will watch.

More details of issue when I was away from home : http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/366334-one-of-the-worst-days-and-away/

Dude! That's horrible, what a big hit man:( sorry to hear it hope you didn't end up losing most of the new corals

Just unfortunate... I think almost LPS will recover. SPS are all white now so cannot say

Update 10/25/2015 : New toy --

21824570433_564c5b651c_k.jpg

• 3 months later...

Update 02/21/2016:

After the Alk overodose disaster i have been taking it slow. Added a few more SPS. Can't remember the names of all of them..

- Pink Lemonade

25086391621_87d667ec12_c.jpg

Joe the Coral

25086331041_b720db8cd8_c.jpg

Pink Lemonade in background - Cliff's Acro in the foreground24811653199_8a4ebbd9c6_o.jpg

Forgot name: Nice light blue and purple

24883710150_386f97766b_o.jpg

Cliff's Acro

24552785043_8679967f03_c.jpg

Acan mini garden:

25153015116_271cf30c4f_c.jpg

Tank looks great! Love seeing your fish stocking options, definitely makes me think what I could all put in my tank!

How have u set up the back chambers? What is in the first and 2nd?

Update 2 02/12/2016:

New Toy - 4 X 24W ATI Dimmable sunpower - I will still need to figure out the bulbs, ramp, photo peroid etc. Growth has been great with the Radion/T5 Hyrbrid but the ATI deal was too good to leave for an opne box.

s-l1600.jpg

How have u set up the back chambers? What is in the first and 2nd?

Nothing yet, I'm waiting for my InTank media basket to come. But my plan is in the first chamber to run that with filter floss, a bag of carbon, and a bag of GFO. The middle chamber is currently holding my heater. I've debated doing a small fuge, but also putting in some liverock to just have more surface area for things. I have no idea. It's tough!

Nothing yet, I'm waiting for my InTank media basket to come. But my plan is in the first chamber to run that with filter floss, a bag of carbon, and a bag of GFO. The middle chamber is currently holding my heater. I've debated doing a small fuge, but also putting in some liverock to just have more surface area for things. I have no idea. It's tough!

I have gone a complete different route:

1st Chamber: Tunze 9001 skimmer + Probes

2nd chamber : chaeto - acting a fuge (using a JBL Nano glow)

Filter floss clipped to the Acrylic piece b/w chamber 2 and 3 where the water flows from chamber two to there

3rd Chamber: IM Desktop reactor for Carbon & GFO, Tunze ATO level sensor and ATO fill + dosing tube output.

I have found this combination very efficient and never had issue with nutrient export. However, I have heard people using a media basket in chamber one and skimmer is two but cannot say how well it works.

There is an intank surface skimmer just out and inTank media basket but I have never needed it. The drain to chamber one already surface skims since it breaks the water before it enters the 1st chamber.

If I ever change anything i will flip the 2 acrylic over between chamber 2 and 3.

If you plan to put the skimmer in the first chamber be aware that any leftover food and gunk won't be caught since there is no filter floss to catch it. I would suspect that it would all find a spot to settle and cause problems down the line with nutrients. Unless you clean the rear chambers religiously.

I don't know how these rear chambers are set up exactly, but if it is anything like the IM Fusion tanks I would use floss in the first chamber.

You have a beautiful collection of corals already, the tank is looking sweet!

I have gone a complete different route:

1st Chamber: Tunze 9001 skimmer + Probes

2nd chamber : chaeto - acting a fuge (using a JBL Nano glow)

Filter floss clipped to the Acrylic piece b/w chamber 2 and 3 where the water flows from chamber two to there

3rd Chamber: IM Desktop reactor for Carbon & GFO, Tunze ATO level sensor and ATO fill + dosing tube output.

I have found this combination very efficient and never had issue with nutrient export. However, I have heard people using a media basket in chamber one and skimmer is two but cannot say how well it works.

There is an intank surface skimmer just out and inTank media basket but I have never needed it. The drain to chamber one already surface skims since it breaks the water before it enters the 1st chamber.

If I ever change anything i will flip the 2 acrylic over between chamber 2 and 3.

I'm trying to make this an energy efficient is possible, which I know is fairly impossible in this hobby, but it's worth a shot. That being said, I'm going to try not running a skimmer and just relying on water changes to be my largest nutrient export.

I don't plan to use the surface skimmer, but just the media rack to allow the water to flow through everything before exiting at the bottom of the baffle into the second chamber. I have possibly debated running a media reactor of some sort in that second chamber, maybe with biopellets, but who knows. I would love to be able to grow some sort of live food in a chamber, but I think that's a bit far-fetched.

Of course then the third chamber will contain the return pump and then the ATO when I get it. I'm curious to try the new micro ATO that just came out, but I also want something that is reliable...especially when I go on vacations in the future.

If you plan to put the skimmer in the first chamber be aware that any leftover food and gunk won't be caught since there is no filter floss to catch it. I would suspect that it would all find a spot to settle and cause problems down the line with nutrients. Unless you clean the rear chambers religiously.

I don't know how these rear chambers are set up exactly, but if it is anything like the IM Fusion tanks I would use floss in the first chamber.

You have a beautiful collection of corals already, the tank is looking sweet!

Thanks ..

I agree with the point of food can go get to the 1st chamber. Luckily it has not caused any adverse effect so far.

I presume the reason is 2 fold - I don't use flakes or floating food. I use food that sinks. Also, the return is off and powerhead is at 2% when feed mode is on and give it enough time so that all food is eater before the return kicks in.

I also clean the back chambers every month using this - : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011DDJW4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00- This thing is awesome !! I also use this to vaccum the sand bed.

Unfortunately, the Fluval has no place for a filter floss. If the surface shimmer from intank can be put in such a way that it is in chamber one - YES, then a filter floss can go before the skimmer.

I'm trying to make this an energy efficient is possible, which I know is fairly impossible in this hobby, but it's worth a shot. That being said, I'm going to try not running a skimmer and just relying on water changes to be my largest nutrient export.

I don't plan to use the surface skimmer, but just the media rack to allow the water to flow through everything before exiting at the bottom of the baffle into the second chamber. I have possibly debated running a media reactor of some sort in that second chamber, maybe with biopellets, but who knows. I would love to be able to grow some sort of live food in a chamber, but I think that's a bit far-fetched.

Of course then the third chamber will contain the return pump and then the ATO when I get it. I'm curious to try the new micro ATO that just came out, but I also want something that is reliable...especially when I go on vacations in the future.

Lot of people don't use a skimmer and have very healthy tanks too. I also think that either a reactor or media basket would work great.Again, depends on what works for you. There is no perfect way. Every tank is different and everyone has found different ways to keep their tank beautiful.

Archived