Pod Your Reef

Atoll in a M60 : New toy - Hybrid approach...

ManGups

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got a new fish today - 'Red Spotted Sandperch' ( parapercis schauinslandi). Was sold at Petco as a red scooter blenny but for reason I was suspicions but it did not like a scooter blenny. Anyways it seems i won't be nuking my tank with this addition:

More info here: http://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-red-spotted-sandperch

hawaitoragisu01.jpg

PS: Photo is not mine. Photocourtsey : http://kaisuinettaigyo.blog93.fc2.com/

The red spotted sand perch looks awesome! How you liking the IM reactor thus far? Does fit well in your rear chamber? You running GFO? I'm close to getting one.

The red spotted sand perch looks awesome! How you liking the IM reactor thus far? Does fit well in your rear chamber? You running GFO? I'm close to getting one.

Thanks....

The IM reactor was the 1st equipment I got, even before the skimmer. I use it diligently mix GFO and Carbon in a ration of 1:2 and I have great success with it i.e. phosphates never reaching more < 0.02 and NO3 < 0. I use it in the 3rd chamber (return) and it fits with lots of space left. I have the smallest version - i think it is called a desktop IM reactor.

PS: for some reason i cannot view your M60 thread. It is keeps says - too many re-directs or something.

I know. Something is wrong with the thread. I can't post anything. I'll reach out to the moderators. But thanks for the info on the minimax. I'm gonna get it for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

15931395496_a046997d77_o.jpg

Meteor Shower

15769774048_50eb88d604_o.jpg

Red People Eaters - still acclimating to new tank

15337547343_86f41d7c0b_o.jpg

Clown Fairy Wrasse

15771447717_4a972f68a9_o.jpg

Red Fin Fairy Wrasse & SaddleBack Clown

15337547413_317dbdf426_o.jpg

More Zoas (God of War and Bam Bam)

15769774108_3903f2f231_o.jpg

Scripp's Green Tip Acropora

Oh cool. I ordered some on amazon. I'm gonna end up with 3 sets now though. Thought I could fit 8mm clips so got 2 sets... No go, so now I have a 10mm on the way that'll hopefully fit lol.

Good luck !!

• 4 months later...

Some New Pics - April 13th 2015

17125385666_da1a063ba5_o.jpg

16965156269_21a608d1f4_o.jpg

Supposed to be a Orangish Brown hammer -

17150708231_739d365429_o.jpg

I just can't seem to remember this one what it is called?

16528912984_4816f10fbd_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

How are you liking the Fluval M-series so far? They're rather interesting looking tanks - even more so than the Fusions for me (partially due to an LFS having some on for a really good price, but also because they make a freshwater version)

Markburns43

I have the m90 and I can't wait any longer to fill it, so any time i see another fluval build its awsome! Not to answer for him but its a unique tank sturdy son of a b#$ ch, baffle system needs modification for optimum performance, the accessories that come with the aio kit are ok for starting out, if I were to buy it again I'd just get the tank and stand and make a build like I'm doing now ( lights , sumping, skimmer, etc) , all tanks have for the most part 4 sides the fluval has that and alittle added uniqueness. ManGups, I'm liking the rock work and that hammer, well isn't that a beautiful mis label! I'd love to have one.

I have the m90 and I can't wait any longer to fill it, so any time i see another fluval build its awsome! Not to answer for him but its a unique tank sturdy son of a b#$ ch, baffle system needs modification for optimum performance, the accessories that come with the aio kit are ok for starting out, if I were to buy it again I'd just get the tank and stand and make a build like I'm doing now ( lights , sumping, skimmer, etc) , all tanks have for the most part 4 sides the fluval has that and alittle added uniqueness. ManGups, I'm liking the rock work and that hammer, well isn't that a beautiful mis label! I'd love to have one.

Yeah, I've been reading up about the baffling not being all that optmized, and if I go for it I'll run the stock gear for a while and then potentially upgrade as time goes by (lighting being the main one, but the light I want is more than the entire M90 by itself :P ). Odds are I'll get it modified to have a media tray of some description, a better skimmer (eventually), and proper over-under baffling, a replacement circulation pump (been reading that the Eheim Compact+ 2000 is the more common one) and then later on replace the stock lighting with the NanoBox Hybrid (and keep the Fluval lighting as a backup, and/or additional lighting)... Arguably not the most effective method of going about things, but at the same time they're gorgeous tanks.

They definitely have a unique look to them, and it's one I like. Local store has the M60 for pretty inexpensive cost, but the M90 seems to be that "elusive" size of tank I'm looking for that's large enough for some things, but doesn't dominate the living room. Oh, and also has a matching freshwater one (the F90).

How are you liking the Fluval M-series so far? They're rather interesting looking tanks - even more so than the Fusions for me (partially due to an LFS having some on for a really good price, but also because they make a freshwater version)

I really like the M60. I was contemplating buying the Fusion 20 but once I saw the M60 it was straight decision. The back chamber of the M60 is bigger than than the Fusion.

Yep, the baffle system seems a little weird and have seems some posts/videos of people inverting the middle baffle. I did not go that way. If you carefully, all baffles have a small triangular notch at the bottom which lets water move through and if you drain the water slow it removes most of the gunk.

I don't find the weird baffle design causing any problems ... I have Cheato in the middle chamber and it still seems to grow well.

New Pics 04/25:

Purple Firefish

16658400083_a8ef06a012_o.jpg

17092137720_52ef4bfc45_o.jpg

Tri Color Acro Valida

17092427219_002962e9f8_o.jpg

Green-Tip Orange Bird's nest

16659532323_b952812080_o.jpg

LUCKY Shot - Got all 5 fish together

17072239287_71016b3c46_o.jpg

Favorite Fish

16657226424_a7c8197316_o.jpg

I really like the M60. I was contemplating buying the Fusion 20 but once I saw the M60 it was straight decision. The back chamber of the M60 is bigger than than the Fusion.

Yep, the baffle system seems a little weird and have seems some posts/videos of people inverting the middle baffle. I did not go that way. If you carefully, all baffles have a small triangular notch at the bottom which lets water move through and if you drain the water slow it removes most of the gunk.

I don't find the weird baffle design causing any problems ... I have Cheato in the middle chamber and it still seems to grow well.

Oddly enough, that same contemplation has occurred for me - I do like the Fusion series, but the price difference between the 20 and 30 (especially in Canada where 50% more water doubles the cost) is rather noticeable, and I greatly prefer the slightly taller (2.5" or so) Fluval M-series, especially that nice frosting at the top of the tank's glass.

I'm seriously contemplating picking up the M60 an LFS here has (doubly so since he only wants $600 CAD as he's making space for the new Red Sea Reefers on his limited showfloor space) but I (and especially my spouse) really want to get a Ruby Red Dragonet and I feel the M90 would be a "safer" bet.

Out of curiosity, just how deep is the rear sump anyways?

Also, those fish are gorgeous!

Oddly enough, that same contemplation has occurred for me - I do like the Fusion series, but the price difference between the 20 and 30 (especially in Canada where 50% more water doubles the cost) is rather noticeable, and I greatly prefer the slightly taller (2.5" or so) Fluval M-series, especially that nice frosting at the top of the tank's glass.

I'm seriously contemplating picking up the M60 an LFS here has (doubly so since he only wants $600 CAD as he's making space for the new Red Sea Reefers on his limited showfloor space) but I (and especially my spouse) really want to get a Ruby Red Dragonet and I feel the M90 would be a "safer" bet.

Out of curiosity, just how deep is the rear sump anyways?

Also, those fish are gorgeous!

You will like that tanks for sure. I have never seen a M90 so cannot say. the back chamber hold ~6 gallon and is around ~4'' deep.

Thanks you for the fishes. I the both the fairy wrasse, clown and the sand perch one after the other. No disease nothing. The corals through that period did well.

I replaced them with these 5 over the last 3 months.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how you liking the Fluval tank so far? Thinking about getting the M90 since it's on sale for $650 right now.

U will like it ...water changes are so easy. The only thing people complain are abt the baffles -- search nano-reef for the modification ppl made. I did not make those modification and the thank is good so far.

You obviously need to replace the stock equipment. I got mine w/o the skimmer, light and powerhead. I only got the tank, stand and the return and the connectors etc.

Archived