Top Shelf Aquatics

Atoll in a M60 : New toy - Hybrid approach...

ManGups

charliethezero

Nice start. What shops have you been to or know of around town? I've only been to forest lake pets, atlas (Stillwater), and wetworld. I need a better variety.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like 'Saltwater Empire' in Bloomington and there is a Petco in Minnetonka ... I have not bought any corals or fishes yet. I would probably buy fish from the Petco store in Minnetonka but corals from Saltwater Empire. I have not looked at World of Fish or others ( can't remember names) but they do not seem to have good reviews.

The Petco store is one of the best I have seen and I have been to probably like 20 Petco stores. This one has a really good selection. They have 2 separate 180 gallon tanks ruining on a desperate system one got corals and one for larger fish beyond the regular setup seen at Petco.

I saw a blue spotted jewfish and a fairy wrasse for 89 and 35 respectively and these prices are cheapest you can find. The fish were in great condition too.

Finally .. cycle looks complete

Ph : 8.2

NH3 : 0 ppm

NO2: 0 ppm

NO3: 0 ppm

Will be waiting a few days and then add a CUC. Order placed to reefcleaners for a 23 gallon package.

Planned aquaria:

- Saddleback clown (Amphiprion polymnus) - ADDED DIED

- Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus) or Christmas Wrasse (Halichoeres claudia ) or Multicolor Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse Christmas Wrasse- ADDED

- Blue spotted Jawfish (Opistognathus rosenblatti) Jumped through 1/2 bird netting. Best left for later maybe

- Yellow Coris Wrasse - ADDED

- Yellowtail Reef Basslet (Liopropoma mitratum) Cherub Pygmy Angel - ADDED

- Longnoose Hawkfish - ADDED

- Purple Firefish - ADDED

- bicolor or Tail spot Blenny : ADDED

SPS:

-Superman Montipora or Rainbow Montipora

- Orange Montipora

- Still deciding

LPS

- Branching Hammer - ADDED

- FLorida Ricordia - ADDED

- still planning on others

ZOA

- god of war zoa - ADDED

- captain american zoa

- lunar eclipse zoa

Others

- Rose bubble tip anemone

post-81712-0-00765200-1410231429_thumb.jpg

Tank cycled a few days back and I added my first fishon Sunday - Blue spotted jawfish (approx 3 inches long)

Well 2 days in and it decided to jump and landed in the rear chamber. Found him after some time and got him back in the main display.

Today he manged to slip through again and landed behind the tank. I just happened to check him out when I got up at 6 am and i could not find him. Could not find him so looked behind the tank and there he was... mouth open and still. Immediately picked him up (he was kind of wet) and put him back -- was not sure if he was alive and was thinking - man I just put a dead fish back and Vola... in about 2~4 seconds he was moving, obviously stressed. God knows how long he was out but I thank the stars for being able to find him and put him back in the tank in time.

Well his movements picked and he is going to make it i hope... but man that was a major scare first thing in the morning ...

I have already ordered 1/2 inch netting and should be in on Tuesday. I guess I need to try an find it sooner and maybe added 2-3 layer of 1/2 netting on the screen to compensate for now..

PiC : Just after I added him back..

12 hrs later - it seems he is not going to make. Found him stuck to toward the wet side of the Mp10. I stopped the pumps and safely got him to sand bed. He is upside down and was trying his best to make it up. Finally when he did he seems to not moving (no fin or mouth movement).. This sucks so bad !! will let him be for a few hrs and see

Is there is anything else that I can do?

post-81712-0-14114300-1410463492_thumb.jpg

Not much, but, blue spots don't live long in tropical water temperatures we keep our reefs at anyway. They are a temperate species, native to the Sea of Cortez, and do best at temps around 68-70 degrees. Sorry for your loss...I lost 3 of them to jumping, even with screen tops (made it through 1/4" mesh). A beauty of a fish, but, probably best left in the ocean.

Not much, but, blue spots don't live long in tropical water temperatures we keep our reefs at anyway. They are a temperate species, native to the Sea of Cortez, and do best at temps around 68-70 degrees. Sorry for your loss...I lost 3 of them to jumping, even with screen tops (made it through 1/4" mesh). A beauty of a fish, but, probably best left in the ocean.

I guess you are right. I left him in the tanks for some time just to make sure and he did not make. This is such a bummer ... :(

Just happened to see this thread and saw that you're in the twin cities. Talking about fish stores, you should take a look at New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth - they are great!

Just happened to see this thread and saw that you're in the twin cities. Talking about fish stores, you should take a look at New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth - they are great!

Thanks 'hinnenkm' - I did hear about New Wave Aquaria in Plymouth. It is quite a drive for me so have to plan it out one of these days.

Couple of new additions to the tank-

Lubbok's Fairy Wrasse & a Yellow Coris Wrasse

LPS

- Orange Florida Ricordia - already splitting withing days in the tanks

- Green Hammer Coral

New-

Hot Pink Bubble tip anemone (no bubbles yet)

PS: Pardon the cell phone pics. Hopefully I can get better pics sooner.

post-81712-0-25061000-1410913005_thumb.jpg

post-81712-0-86834200-1410913023_thumb.jpg

post-81712-0-56814100-1410913058_thumb.jpg

post-81712-0-04910200-1410913116_thumb.jpg

Glad to see someone else giving Fluval tanks some love... I've had mine a week or so now, and am really liking it. I think I even like it more than my 120 and my 90, probably since it still has that clean, new look to it.

I'd really like to get my hands on an M90.

Can you get the door to stick on the M40 stand. The sticky pads on mine for the don't just don't stick.

Beutiful tank

Thanks

post-81712-0-30197300-1411137291_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you are referring to as "sticky pads." The M40's stand has a magnetic spring/catch on the door that matches up with a metal plate on the door that keeps it closed. I bought mine used, so, the original owner might have added that himself.

Not sure what you are referring to as "sticky pads." The M40's stand has a magnetic spring/catch on the door that matches up with a metal plate on the door that keeps it closed. I bought mine used, so, the original owner might have added that himself.

The magentic spring/catch attaches to the door with a sticky pad on the metal plate. The plates remains stuck to the magnetic latch but the pads give way and the door just pops open .I will probably replace those sticky pad with something from home depot.

does this tank have low iron glass or regular glass?? looks pretty nice

Not sure .. either way the tank has an awesome look especially with those frosted rim.

Oh, my metal plate on the door is screwed on. As is the spring latch that is in the cabinet itself.

I didn't screw it on... Now not sure where the screw is now. I was just using the sticky's so will probably need to find or get some screws from homedepot.

• 2 weeks later...

Current Aquaria:

4 Fish

McCosker's Flasher Wrasse - Paracheilinus mccoskeri

Cherub Dwarg Angel

Saddleback Clownfish - Amphiprion polymnus

Yellow Wrasse - Halichoeres chrysus

Red Spotted Sandperch - Parapercis schauinslandi

12 Corals

Acropora Coral Acropora sp

Bam Bam Zoas

Cyphastrea Cyphastrea japonica

Florida Ricordea Mushroom Ricordea florida

God of War (Zoanthid)

Hammer / Anchor Coral, Branching Euphyllia parancora

Leaf Plate Montipora, Green Montipora capricornis

Leaf Plate Montipora, Orange Montipora capricornis

Leptoseris, Pin Stripe Mint Green Leptoseris

Lordhowensis Coral Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Red Eyes Cyphastrea Cyphastrea sp.

Sunset montipora

Red fox chalice

Yellow mouth Acan

Tangerine zoa

1 Invertebrate

Bulb Anemone Entacmaea quadricolor

Flower Anemone

couple of new pics..

15697443685_919f05c066_z.jpg

15699050402_72f9e3366e_z.jpg

15697443605_bb5619d39c_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice M60! Good to see another M60 owner. I really like your rock scape. Really nice to see negative space in the middle. How'd you liking the tank so far? I've had it for about a week and it's holding up pretty well. I really like the stand. It's one solid piece of furniture. I wish the door extend all the way to the bottom so we can get rid of that middle divider shelf and have all that real estate to store a larger ATO. I find it so odd they would design it this way.

Nice M60! Good to see another M60 owner. I really like your rock scape. Really nice to see negative space in the middle. How'd you liking the tank so far? I've had it for about a week and it's holding up pretty well. I really like the stand. It's one solid piece of furniture. I wish the door extend all the way to the bottom so we can get rid of that middle divider shelf and have all that real estate to store a larger ATO. I find it so odd they would design it this way.

Thanks... I also went through your build thread - and must say SWEET !!

I really like the tank. I just wish the water flow in the back chambers was thought through by Fluval however I have had no major issue with it.

I agree. I wish the door extended all the way down so that there was more space. The lower shelf just seems waste.

What have you decided to use the chambers for? I am using the setup as below.

1st Chamber: Tunze 9001 skimmer + RCL itemp probe

2nd chamber : IM Novi Media basket (have chaeto and filter floss) + thermometer

3rd Chamber: IM Desktop reactor for GFO, Tunze ATO level sensor and ATO fill

I found the above setup as most stable so far.

Thanks... I also went through your build thread - and must say SWEET !!

I really like the tank. I just wish the water flow in the back chambers was thought through by Fluval however I have had no major issue with it.

I agree. I wish the door extended all the way down so that there was more space. The lower shelf just seems waste.

What have you decided to use the chambers for? I am using the setup as below.

1st Chamber: Tunze 9001 skimmer + RCL itemp probe

2nd chamber : IM Novi Media basket (have chaeto and filter floss) + thermometer

3rd Chamber: IM Desktop reactor for GFO, Tunze ATO level sensor and ATO fill

I found the above setup as most stable so far.

'm doing it a little different.

1st Chamber: Media Basket (Filter Floss, Purigen & Chemi Pure.

2nd Chamber: Fluval Sea PS1 Skimmer and Heater.

3rd Chamber: Temp Probe, PH Probe, Tunze ATO

15521688577_1e91af50c0.jpg

I had the skimmer in the 1st chamber before and I notice the skimmer restricts the water from the overflow and sometimes pushes the dirty stuff back into the tank. So I put it in the 2nd chamber. And make the first chamber my media basket. I also added a thick sponge between chamber 1 & 2 to restrict the water flow so some water gets push down somehow.

Archived