Pod Your Reef

What's up w/ the lower salinity in the tanks at LFS?

Genie382

Hi, all, sorry for the kinda random/noob question...but I just started adding livestock to my tank (yay!) and noticed that at two different shops I visited the average salinity in their tanks were about 1.020. Based on what I've read at multiple forums, the typical recommended salinity is 1.025. Why the difference?

I think they don't want to pay for the extra salt. It must be expensive maintaining all of those tanks. Also, I believe there is less chance for disease if the salinity is lower.

my local acctully have signs all over stating they "keep their tanks between 1.019 and 1.020 to reduce disease" and "please ask our fish experts on how to properly acclumate" ... 1 hour drip and i've not had any issues.

Yes, it helps keep out diseases for fish as well as (slightly) hydrate them if they are ill. Fish aren't as picky as coral but obviously, you must acclimate slowly to lessen the fish's stress to the higher salinity in your tank. I've seen fish systems as 1.018 before too.

My local shop keeps their fish at 1.016. Never once have I had a problem with disease or parasites, and it's the only place I will buy fish. Yes you have to spend a bit more time acclimating to match your systems gravity but I think it's a very fair trade off.

Just expect to spend at least 1hr slow acclimation. You should be quarantining every addition anyways...so this shouldn't even be an issue. Match LFS water to QT water, then over a few days bring up salinity. Usually best just using saltwater as the top off.

yeh my choice lfs runs 1.017 in their fish tanks, inverts at 1.025. It doesn't negate their losses but it does keep it minimal. I have seen quite a few fish that don't sell fast stay there for over a year with tank mates that are regularly sold. Acclimation hasn't ever been an issue for the fish but I assume the inverts being 1.025 has to do with their overall sensitivity.

I typically drip acclimate everything for at least an hour anyho, but man am I glad I asked the shop staff about their water params...

Archived