Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Boo's LPS lagoon. Now with video!

ReeferBoo

that leathers PE is insane, I don't think either of my leathers have extended to that extent. Is there a secret to this or a specific type of leather I need to find?

Honestly, I have no idea lol. People here just call it devil's finger leather and I don't dose anything special on my tank. I do have it in a high flow and high light area if that helps.

I got this in the mail a few days ago,

P1015827_zps7f732aad.jpg

P1015826_zpsacde177d.jpg

still debating on whether or not I should put it in the tank. I tested it on a 10G on the lowest possible settings and it still seems too powerful. Granted that the 10G was empty while I've got a ton of rock and coral to displace flow in my 15G, I'm still hesitant to put it in the tank. :closedeyes: Might wait until I get back from my short holiday :)

• Like 1

Honestly, I have no idea lol. People here just call it devil's finger leather and I don't dose anything special on my tank. I do have it in a high flow and high light area if that helps.

I got this in the mail a few days ago,

P1015827_zps7f732aad.jpg

P1015826_zpsacde177d.jpg

still debating on whether or not I should put it in the tank. I tested it on a 10G on the lowest possible settings and it still seems too powerful. Granted that the 10G was empty while I've got a ton of rock and coral to displace flow in my 15G, I'm still hesitant to put it in the tank. :closedeyes: Might wait until I get back from my short holiday :)

One of my leathers spends the bulk of its time shedding, but when polyps extend it just looks like your average polyp extension nothing special. Other is a toadstool leather so obv unless its the long polyp variety its not ganna be that spectacular either.

As far as the powerhead my rule for tank equipment changes is only if I am going to be home to monitor them. When I go out of town I even turn off my ato and tell tank sitter to turn on #5 switch until it stops then to turn it off lol.

• Like 1

One of my leathers spends the bulk of its time shedding, but when polyps extend it just looks like your average polyp extension nothing special. Other is a toadstool leather so obv unless its the long polyp variety its not ganna be that spectacular either.

As far as the powerhead my rule for tank equipment changes is only if I am going to be home to monitor them. When I go out of town I even turn off my ato and tell tank sitter to turn on #5 switch until it stops then to turn it off lol.

We probably have closely related but different species of leathers, they all look very much alike (specially when closed up) that it's really hard to tell. I think mine is also called a colt coral (long polyp type perhaps? again, no idea ). What's weird though is that I've only seen this leather shed 2-3 times in the last 9 months and always back to it's normal appearance within 48 hours. :blink:

Lol yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Better leave it till I can closely monitor the tank for days before I swap out the wavemakers. Haha I actually purchased the auto-aqua smart ATO because of this holiday. I wasn't sure if I can trust the tank sitter to top-off the tank daily while I'm gone. I'm even gonna leave carefully measured fish pellets in clearly labelled canisters to prevent over feeding. talk about being paranoid :lol:

I want one... Does it have a specific name? Thanks

It's a rainbow BTA :)

• Like 1

OMG! Your tank is just amazing. I especially love the trachyphyllia (if I'm not mistaken). That thing just oozes so many colors!

I had one a couple of years back when I first started and it looked almost exactly like yours. Sadly I didn't know what I was doing at the time, so it didn't survive :( but I'm hoping soon that I'll be able to get something hopefully as nice as yours in the next couple of months. Keep it up!

OMG! Your tank is just amazing. I especially love the trachyphyllia (if I'm not mistaken). That thing just oozes so many colors! I had one a couple of years back when I first started and it looked almost exactly like yours. Sadly I didn't know what I was doing at the time, so it didn't survive :( but I'm hoping soon that I'll be able to get something hopefully as nice as yours in the next couple of months. Keep it up!

Thanks you for the kind words :). Yup that trachy is one of my favorites too. I'm sure you'll be able to find one that you'll love, goodluck!.

if I may ask, how much was that trachy and where did you get it from? I've been looking for a colorful one like that for a while. People ask at least 200+

It's around that price range. I don't usually buy expensive "designer" corals but I just couldn't pass this one up. It's from an importer here in Auckland, New Zealand.

I just got back from a short holiday at the breathtaking Milford Sound and Fiordland National Park where we got to see the rare black coral. Underwater pics to follow but I'll start off with some above-water pics :D

10604076_10203963486141998_3987348387037

Home for 2 days

P9206016_zpseedda6d0.jpg

P9205988_zps67b89e10.jpg

P9205977_zpsc8071ba6.jpg

• Like 4

first lot of underwater pics

7d0ed1bc-575a-4fd3-b1ca-03c778be3e15_zps

3fd4d383-e0e9-49ca-bd8a-2da455c7c4b1_zps

68408ef4-7281-408a-9424-fc2661f7fd46_zps

The rare black coral, there are about 7 million colonies of these in Milford Sound, with most colonies thriving under just 10 meters of saltwater, whereas in other areas of the world they can only be found at a depth of at least 75 meters.

6b328d85-772d-466e-8509-8ac8068b8edd_zps

0e16eaaf-04af-4441-b096-6a6cd5dc591b_zps

c390f335-4ee7-41b5-8cd9-0cfcb7acbeff_zps

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

This tank is gorgeous! The black coral are awesome, too! I'm intrigued to know your maintenance routine.

Also your fuge light - is it just red LEDs?

Thank you very much! :D the black corals were really stunning! , especially with backdrop as breathtaking as the Fiordland national park.

I do weekly 5-10% water changes with red sea coral pro, feed dry food daily and frozen every other day, trim the macro in the fuge monthly, a bit of algae trimming in the display prior to water changes (my astreas only eat film algae, halloween hermits/all the other small reef hermits aren't allowed in nz and the only types of hermits here BIG frag-wrecking monsters)

The fuge is lit with a combination of red, magenta, and true violet LEDs

• Like 1

Yeah, I've had success in the past with halloween hermits though, now I'm thinking I might try putting a molly in there to trim the algae for me. You should definitely try the AC110/70 if you're looking to add a fuge.

For the surface skimmer mod, I used a 90 degree angle PVC, and 3/4" tee and connected it to the AC's intake using some of the left over tubing that came with the filter (check out page 1, 1st FTS pic)

Yeah, I've had success in the past with halloween hermits though, now I'm thinking I might try putting a molly in there to trim the algae for me. You should definitely try the AC110/70 if you're looking to add a fuge.

For the surface skimmer mod, I used a 90 degree angle PVC, and 3/4" tee and connected it to the AC's intake using some of the left over tubing that came with the filter (check out page 1, 1st FTS pic)

I have an ac70 on my pico, but the chaeto just died... Not sure if it was a light thing or a lack of nutrients thing.

For the PVC skimmer it looks great. How is it actually attached to the main intake, though? In the picture it looks like it connects to the middle of the intake tube, but there are no holes there?

Chaeto does that sometimes, I have the fuge light on for 20 hours/day if that helps.

I actually cut the main intake tube near the top, inserted the pvc tee, shortened the main intake tube that was cut off and then attached it to the bottom of the tee. So the filter essentially pulls water from the surface and the mid-bottom of the tank

• Like 1

Chaeto does that sometimes, I have the fuge light on for 20 hours/day if that helps.

I actually cut the main intake tube near the top, inserted the pvc tee, shortened the main intake tube that was cut off and then attached it to the bottom of the tee. So the filter essentially pulls water from the surface and the mid-bottom of the tank

That makes sense. I was wondering if you did something like that ;)

I think I'm going to do this for my pico mantis if I end up getting a mantis.