Top Shelf Aquatics

Digitate hydroids

skyscraper2290

skyscraper2290

So I have noticed I definitely have some digitate hydroids popping up so I have been digging around the internet looking for solutions and there doesn't seem to be too many. I have ready about people doing 20 minute freshwater dips and 20 minute revive dips to no avail. I have heard about using kalk paste but some people have seen an extreme rise of alk. Some people have been able to manually remove them with varied success. I was thinking I would try dipping one of my smallers rocks with them with H2O2, but was looking for someone that could give me advice on a H2O2 dip as I have not done one before and I have 4 rics on the rock I would like to dip. I have also heard that emerald crabs could possibly eat them so I might also try that out.

I believe the best thing you can do is just cover them with super glue. I would not risk a H2O2 dip with rics on the rock and if you have any kind of meaty corals, do not add an emerald crab. I tried it and lost a nice blasto due to the emerald eating a good chunk of it and it never recovered.

doppelganger

They should disappear after a while. I wouldn't really worry about them unless they're really causing havoc on coral. Otherwise cchsoracle is correct. Super glue would work well of you can zero in on it's position accurately.

skyscraper2290

Maybe I'll give superglue a try, some of them are in just hard to get to spaces. I have mostly zoas in my tank, 5 rics, a hammer, and one small birds nest. I have noticed that one of the zoa frags I have is being slightly affected as well as one of my rics looks like it is being affected by them as well.

I've recently read that a peppermint shrimp will, sometimes, eat hydrozoans. Do plenty of research first, because adding animals to combat a problem is a risky proposition. Sometimes they don't take care of the problem, and sometimes they have behavior that you don't like. Shrimp are cool, but just make sure it's what you want before you try.

Archived