SaltCritters.com

First Zoa. Not open

ackattackkk

So I got my first Zoa today, its been in the tank for about 4 hours and it wont open up all the way. Using ReefBreeders value Fixture. Any Suggestions on what settings my light should be on? 20140812_184037.jpgCant get a good pic using Samsung Note3

Give it a little more time. It doesn't look too bad for only being in the tank 4 hours.

Its a Radioactive Dragoneye. Color is way better in the tank than the pic lol

Give it a little more time. It doesn't look too bad for only being in the tank 4 hours.

This. It took mine awhile before they were happy again. Yours look like they will be fine.

This. It took mine awhile before they were happy again. Yours look like they will be fine.

Theres tiny little bugs on the frag. Are they harmfull?

I'll be following along with this thread. I have zoas that opened normally for 2 weeks after placing them in the tank and now they've decided to close. It's been worsening and spreading for 2 weeks now. I'm thinking it may be the fact that I regularly stir the sand so the water is usually cloudy and that could be irritating them.

If yours don't open up in a few days I'd start testing the water for Ca, Alk, Mag, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia. Then maybe test for stray voltage, bugs, or fish picking on them. You could try a freshwater RODI dip if you see bugs.

Theres tiny little bugs on the frag. Are they harmfull?

Can't say without a pic. But most likely copepods or amphipods which are benificial.

Amphipod for comparison:

Amphipod.jpg

first day they don't always open. When you first put them in though you should always turn your lights down low and let them acclimate for awhile and then slowly up your lighting. Usually the first day I only put my lights at 50% of what I normally run them. Give them a day or 2 they will probably look much better

Can't say without a pic. But most likely copepods or amphipods which are benificial.

Amphipod for comparison:

Amphipod.jpg

no way i can get a pic they are like the size of a flea. and liight colored almost clear liek the pic you posted

no way i can get a pic they are like the size of a flea. and liight colored almost clear liek the pic you posted

Probably just pods then, they just clean stuff up and are food for fish once you add them.

Probably just pods then, they just clean stuff up and are food for fish once you add them.

what do you think my lights should be on? like 40/60? or what

what do you think my lights should be on? like 40/60? or what

Whatever you like the look of is probably fine for a end point but you may want to dim them down for new corals to acclimate to. 40/60 is probably fine.

Hmmm personally, the terrible person I am, have never acclimated Zoas to light and they have always been fine, no problems. But again, I am a terrible person who should be cited for zoa abuse.

Took a break from work and went home to check on the tank. Zoas are closed. Not really sure why, checked everything and its the same as yesterday so Idk what the difference is. They are Radioactive Dragon Eyes. Do they need to be high or low and in direct light or what?

Some of my zoas didn't open for 2 weeks. Leave them alone and they will be fine. If you have them in medium light and lower in the tank they should be good to go.

Some of my zoas didn't open for 2 weeks. Leave them alone and they will be fine. If you have them in medium light and lower in the tank they should be good to go.

they were looking good yesterday when I brought them home. turned the lights off last night woke up and they never opened back up.

A fortnight homie! You follow? One night is more than common, and two. Mine were closed for 2 weeks.

yeah they look terrible now. Ill post a pic soon

it might take up to a week or two to get adjusted to your water and lighting. when i buy from my coral supplier they're usually open fully within a day, and that is only because we run the same salt mix and our lighting fixtures are exactly the same.

what are your water perimeters? also did you dip acclimate them before hand?

it might take up to a week or two to get adjusted to your water and lighting. when i buy from my coral supplier they're usually open fully within a day, and that is only because we run the same salt mix and our lighting fixtures are exactly the same.

what are your water perimeters? also did you dip acclimate them before hand?

We have the same light over his frag tank also (Reefbreeders) Now I went back up today to try zoas again but he gave me a free frag to try and make sure my water is good before I get more I forget what kind they are. My radioactive zoas are pretty dead. 20140817_202433.jpg

"IO/Reef crystals is good. You could start out slow just to be cautious(10% wc) and don't forget to mix it for 12-24 hours to let every thing equalize and not be causitic."Other people have reported using it sooner than 12-24 hours. I switched to IO and burned all of my coral because I only mixed for 30 mins. That's just my personal experience. So now I just mix my salt over night so when I wake up it's ready." -Spazizz- Could that be why my zoa got messed up? Did a water change with IO?

Archived