inTank Media Baskets

Increasing light intensity question

Neebles

Noob question,

I recently set up a 75 gallon tank with the reefbreeders photon 48 light. As recommended I have run it at 30% for a week. I would like to start ramping up the intensity a little, maybe 5% this week... Do I increase the intensity over the entire time the light is on? or just during the few "peak" hours in the afternoon and let it ramp up and down where it is set now?

Thanks!

Nano sapiens

You can do either, but consider that in nature the light intensity ramps up fairly quickly once the light starts penetrating at around a 15% angle. Whatever you do, just make sure it's gradual so that the corals can adapt. 5% increase/week is a good recommendation and what I've used with success.

Also consider the duration of your lighting as the sum of all the day's lighting hours is a factor as well as the intensity. Typically, the day's lighting should span 10-12 hours with the 'full high intensity' for around 4-6 hours (if your 'full high intensity' is not very strong, this period can be extended somewhat). Always safer to start a bit conservative and slowly work up from there.

Archived