Pod Your Reef

Tony's Color Box - New FTS

tlombardo

Hi everyone, welcome to my tank thread! I started this tank around May which puts this tank around 3 months old at the start of the thread. General build info with past and current tank shots posted below.

The setup: (inspiration from Trueisb2's March ToTM - Basically a clone)

Landen 31P 3.5 Gallon Rimless Low Iron Aquarium Tank, 12" L × 7" W × 9.4" H

Eheim 2211 canister filter

Coral Compulsion - 14W PAR30 LED 18k Vibrance Reef Light and fancy desk lamp

Hydor ETH 200 In-Line External Heater 200w 1/2" hose

Glass intake and output from Aquaticmagic

AutoAqua Smart ATO

Reefkeeper with one PC4 and temp probe

Livestock:

Rock Flower Anemone - 3 of them

Ricordea Florida

Zoanthids - 3 types

Unknown branching acropora

Eunicia gorgonian

Actinia Bermudensis "Cherry actinia anemone"

Tyree sunset montipora (my guess from online pics)

a few snails and one hermit crab

Tank Shots:

Early December

DSC_0347.jpg

Early October

DSC_0309.jpg

Mid June - First livestock

IMAG0307.jpg

May - The tank is wet

IMAG0292.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

So things are chugging along. The green RFA that is now dime sized after The Incident decided to take a lap around the tank glass before moving to the sand at which point I snatched him up and placed him in a nice viewing spot on the rock where he will hopefully stay. I picked up some zoas that are sitting on frag plugs but one of them went from looking nice and fiery red to rusty reddish brown just moving from the lfs super blue lights to my sort of lighter blue light. Looking for something better but now I don't know what to do with these rusty zoas.

I really want one or two more small RFAs so that once they all grow the rock will just be covered. I just haven't found the right place with the right variety/prices. Optimally I would buy something to fill the vertical space from the same dealer but every RFA seller has pretty bad selection of everything else :closedeyes: .

Anyways these are problems that you all don't care about and will eventually be fixed. For now I'll leave this poorly taken picture from when I finally got out the real camera again.

DSC_0304.jpg

Tony

Edit: at some point I'm going to move the outflow to the left wall and bundle the tubes and cords together inside one not-messy looking tube.

I would love to add a little more life for sure but I don't know if a sexy shrimp is right for me. I like them a lot I just read about them munching on stuff all the time and I won't be around to feed them every single day to prevent that.

Maybe a Pederson shrimp - I haven't looked into them enough but they seem less munch-prone. Or any invert that doesn't need super regular feeding. I've had a super healthy pod population since dumping some in there a few months ago but I can't really count on those feeding anything decent sized for very long before they run out in a tiny tank like this.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Checking back in with some updates and pics. I tinkered around a bit more with the dslr and got some half decent pics. I wasn't really planning to take/post pics so things are slightly dirty and the cords/tubes in the back still haven't been wrangled but whatever.

The little green RFA eventually ended up where I had him originally and you can now see how small he is compared to the pics in my original post. Everything else has been running smoothly. I picked up some SPS and some zoas locally a few weeks ago that are all doing well. The SPS are mainly just to make sure I can keep them alive in this tank before I order something online or invest in a nicer/ larger piece. I'll likely sell/trade these for something else in the next few weeks.

I have some stuff coming soon from the Reefgen pre-sale through Pacific East Aquaculture. I typically avoid buying online due to shipping costs but this seemed like a unique opportunity to pick up some stuff that can't be found easily elsewhere. While I was already paying for shipping I threw in a couple small pieces from the PEA website as well. I'm holding off on another FTS until I get this shipment in. Once that happens I'll have some nice stuff to fill vertical space and I can glue down the zoas that are on frag plugs on the sand bed right now.

My invert hunt has been unsuccessful so far. I'm pretty settled on a pederson shrimp and I also really want an acro crab. Thus the need for an acro/pocillopora/birdsnest. Unfortunately I haven't found an LFS that can get me either of these and no online retailer has more than one of these. Waiting to hear back from an LFS about ordering these/ waiting for liveaquaria to have some pederson shrimp in stock currently.

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/awlomba/media/Pico%20Reef/05d777bd-e68c-4758-94ae-aa1ea1fc84aa.jpg.html'>05d777bd-e68c-4758-94ae-aa1ea1fc84aa.jpg

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/awlomba/media/Pico%20Reef/DSC_0312.jpg.html'>DSC_0312.jpg

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/awlomba/media/Pico%20Reef/DSC_0310.jpg.html'>DSC_0310.jpg

Tony

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone time for an update!

Everything has been going pretty well since my last post. I got rid of the "test sps" that I had and picked up a Hawkins Acropora Echinata frag, some zoa frags, and some gorgs from Reefgen. All of those have been in the tank for about a month or more and seem to be happy. Besides getting rid of the gorg on the sand I don't have any more plans for this tank besides letting everything grow out for a while. Here are some pics I took earlier:

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

Tony

Edit: forgot to mention I added a Pederson shrimp a few weeks ago as well. You can kinda barely see him hanging out on the back of the gorg on the sand about halfway down in the last two pics.

Nice tank! I really like the hawkins echinata. It's a great coral. Is that the only SPS you have?

Thanks! And yes it's the only SPS in there. I wanted a nice piece since there's only one and the Hawkins is one of the favorites.

Tony

Tank really looks great, and always great to see another Atlanta based reefer!

Thanks! There seems to only be a few of us here on Nano-Reef but I got the Hawkins from another local (through the ARC forums).

How can people only get one acro? I'll never understand it. :)

That Hawkins looks great and has held its color well!

Haha I would love some more but the way the tank is set up there's only high enough flow where the Hawkins is and to the right. I'd have to get rid of the Eunicia gorg or put it on a small rock on the sand where the other gorg is right now once I get rid of that one. The person I got the Hawkins from was going to frag an awesome looking pink lemonade so I've considered all of my options.

This is the closest I've ever come to having everything where I want it to be so that I can leave it alone while it grows for a while, but that just gives me more time to think about things I could add/change :lol:

Tony

Thanks!

Nice! I love the progress.

I really wish I could do something like mount a go pro on the edge of my stand and take a pic everyday for a time lapse of the growth. All I need is a go pro and a mount haha. Although I'm not sure how much I could adjust the go pro for white balance and such I just don't want to have to leave my dslr in the same spot for months

Cute gorgs!! :wub:

I wish I had space on the rocks for the other one!

nice color on that acro

It was all deep green when I got it but int he last week or so I noticed some blue tinges at the top so hopefully there will be some new growth soon!

Tony

I really like this tank, how do you like the coral compulsion par38? I'm thinking about picking up maybe 2 or 3 for my upcoming build but can't decide on which bulbs to go with. I really like the color of yours though, are the pictures pretty accurate? How high off the water is it mounted? My tank will be a 12g long, so the dimensions are pretty much the same, mine will just be 36" long.

Here's a pic with the lighting shown since it's relevant:

http://s1226.photobucket.com/user/awlomba/media/DSC_0361.jpg.html'>DSC_0361.jpg

I really like this tank, how do you like the coral compulsion par38? I'm thinking about picking up maybe 2 or 3 for my upcoming build but can't decide on which bulbs to go with. I really like the color of yours though, are the pictures pretty accurate? How high off the water is it mounted? My tank will be a 12g long, so the dimensions are pretty much the same, mine will just be 36" long.

It's been working out fine for me so far. As for color, the closest pics would be the first two of the four I posted in my update post. The second two have a bit more of a blue/teal tinge than in reality. It definitely isn't as deep blue as some people run their lights but is still blue enough to show some great colors(which is just how I like it). The disadvantages would be that these bulbs aren't dimmable and that I can't adjust the color temp if I want more or less blue. The lamp I'm using allows me to move it up and down about 9 inches so I use that to change light intensity - it's about 12 inches off the water which is where I've settled.

This needs a Nano Box. I love this!

-Dave

Thanks! Restoration Hardware already practically stole all of my money for this lamp but Nano Box is definitely on my list if I need some more coverage in future upgrades.

Tony

• 5 months later...

Is this tank still running?

Yep!

Unfortunately just about everything else has been pretty busy for me the last few months so the tank definitely took a back seat for a while. I'm trying to get back on top of this as some of the stuff that has kept me busy will be ending soon.

I did my first water change in a while last weekend and have some other stuff to get done(like tackling this flatworm problem) before things are in good shape again but most of the livestock weathered the neglect just fine. I'll put together a real update in the next few weeks hopefully.

Tony

Archived