Cultivated Reef

rock overhaul?

pgrVII

Ok guys so I haven't made the decision to do so yet but I'm considering swapping my current rock or most of it for some cured real reef rock from my lfs,about 20 lbs or so which is about what I'd be taking out minus a few premium pieces I'd leave in. The rock I'm taking out is not great looking and I'd prefer to change it. Anyone done this before? My tank is set up for about a year and some change with corals a GBTA and 3 fish. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this process.

The way to do it would be to add no more than a few pounds at a time otherwise you are going to have a mini-cycle (or not so mini cycle if you change it all at once). If you have a sump, you can get away with adding a little more at a time since you can move a big chunk of your existing rock to the sump and add some new rock in on top.

Your best bet is to buy your new rock and get a container big enough to hold it all comfortably from Walmart or Target for $10 or $15 (like a Sterilite container), fill it with ASW and put a couple powerheads in there. This way you can slowly swap out your rock over the course of a few months. LR won't need a heater or light, so you can put it somewhere out of the way. Plus, in the dark any nuisance algae will die off.

Archived