Pod Your Reef

Dwarf Angel Discoloration....Possible Reasons/Causes/Treatments?

rwalsh156

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in the forum, but basically my Dwarf Angel, which I have had for nearly a year now, is starting to show some signs of discoloration along her midsection and possibly some fin damage. She is still active, swimming, like a bat-out-of-hell around the various corals and live rocks, and seems to be grazing on the live live rock and algae left on the tank walls normally.

Typically I tend not to concern myself with these things unless the fish begins to show decreased activity, no interest, in food, or some outward sign of infection. However the dark spots seem unusual to me and i have never noticed them before. I am wondering if the could be a lesion from an injury or attack? Or if it is actually the start of an atypical infection.

Here are my tanks current parameters: 29 gal with 10 gal sump, 1.025 SG/34 ppt Na, NO3=0.2 ppm, PO4=0 ppm, Ca=420 ppm, dKh=9.9 (typically between 9.5-10 for the clam), pH=8.2

All testing is done with Salifert kits and checked periodically with ICP

Livestock in tank: 2 mated Black Oscellaris Clownfish, Pigmy Angel, Lawnmower Blenny, Dragon Goby, Spotted Mandarin, Royal Blue Damsel, Rose Bubble Anemone, Decorator Crab, Coral banded shrimp, snails (several of which seem to be laying eggs on live rock), a Gold Maxima Clam, and several corals.

if you can offer any advice please let me know.

My Pygmy Angel is about three years old. I've noticed dark brown spots on her body since day one. Not sure what they are but they disappear after a couple days. They seem to randomly appear every other month. She seems perfectly healthy though, eats like a pig, active, no heavy breathing.

My Pygmy Angel is about three years old. I've noticed dark brown spots on her body since day one. Not sure what they are but they disappear after a couple days. They seem to randomly appear every other month. She seems perfectly healthy though, eats like a pig, active, no heavy breathing.

Do you have any other fish in your tank with your Pigmy?

I was actually watching mine for a bit last night after coming home rom work and did notice that the Pigmy and the femal Clownfish seem to become a bit aggressive with sone another. Either may initiate it and will typically resolve with the Clownfish chasing the pgimy away from her territory, or possibly breeding ground.

Aside from removing the mated Clowns or the Pigmy, I dont think there is really a good option here. Maybe place some seaweed on a clip away from the Clown for her to graze on away from them instead of wondering the tank.

Archived