Coral Vue Hydros

Peppermint Tea

Cove

I had a problem with an acan and hammer that died on me. Ive been thinking I had shitty water when my water was actually fine all along. Sure my levels arent 10000% stable but my tank is two months old, its the norm. Today I went to Fragbox (awesome place and dude!) and March was like here try this acan out again since you switched to reef crystals. I got the acan put it in my tank and 10 minutes later my peppermint shrimp attempted to rip it apart. I now believe that this little sh!t is responsible for the death of my acan, hammer, and has probably freaked my milky way palys out. Has anyone experienced this with their CUC?

Peppermints can do this ya, make sure it isn't a camel shrimp as they look similar.

Well fed peps should not really pick at or eat healthy corals. If the shrimp are starved they're going to eat whatever they can.

It's also not uncomon for LFSs to confuse these guys with camel shrimp. Camel shrimp WILL indiscriminately eat anything they can -- which often includes corals in aquariums. I think that's actually their diet in the wild: polyps.

Make sure your shrimp is not a camel shrimp.

peppermint:

peppermintShrimp1.jpg

camel:

10_bf790091f1b1cf6144814951b72d9271.jpg

I think the most telling difference is the eyes. Camel shrimp have bigger, brighter eyes that are more spread appart than peps. I think they're generally more colorful/pretty too lol

So if your'e on the coral forum here you would have come across a few threads where kept posting about an acan and hammer that died on me. I kept kicking my self in the face (im an acrobat training with cirque du soleil coaches so yah its possible) for thinking I had shitty water when my water was actually fine all along. Sure my levels arent 10000% stable but my tank is two months old, its the norm. Today I went to Fragbox (awesome place and dude!) and March was like here try this acan out again since you switched to reef crystals. I got the acan put it in my tank and 10 minutes later my peppermint shrimp attempted to rip it apart. I now believe that this little sh!t is responsible for the death of my acan, hammer, and has probably freaked my milky way palys out. Has anyone experienced this with their CUC?

I had 6 peppermint shrimp in my 12g and they developed a taste for Zoanthids!

Cheeky blighters probably destroyed $100 worth before I could catch them all® :o

Archived