Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brad's Rimless. NanoBox Hybrid. MAME. Synergy. Aquarium

brad908

Great looking setup so far. I'm sure this will pan out to be as amazing as some of your past builds. Tagging along.

As far as that stand goes, it sounds to me like its pretty damn solid. I really am not sure why they would say not to put more than 60 lbs on it. That really doesn't make sense to me. I think it should be fine.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ps, get that Mame wet ASAFP.

I wanna see.

Post video, please por favor

Angle aluminum would be as strong as 2x4s, look nicer, take away not space real estate. Steel is good but rusts, I used that on a stand for a 140 I used to have.

Your tank water (only) weighs about 240 pounds.

Get up on the stand and bounce on it. If it holds you its good to go.

If it doesnt, have friend or relative call 911 because you just broke your neck. Dont use that stand for your tank if that happens.

haha, good plan

I'd say go for it, like Alex said you can make the call down the road if you think it needs extra bracing, I think it'll be fine though. Plus the glass doors will be sweet to show off that sexy sump!

Glass will be frosted. Even if I can make the cleanest looking sump area, I still won't be able to look at it haha

Are all those your tank pics, or inspiration tank pics?

They're all my old tanks.

haha, good plan

Glass will be frosted. Even if I can make the cleanest looking sump area, I still won't be able to look at it haha

They're all my old tanks.

Damn lol, oh well! I still say go for it.

I've seen people put 30+ gallon tanks on unsupported Ikea cabinets before, you guys think if I get that one from World Market, remove the center brace, then remake a frame inside out of 2x4's, I will be good?

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/E99E8711-DE33-47FF-8D31-33F0A8E222C3_zpsozqyaarz.jpg.html]

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/ObeyHK/media/2785524E-163C-4534-B631-5A9CF332CE12_zpsfdsqi7x3.jpg.html]

You can't really see it, but as a thin wood divider in the middle that I was planning not to put in if I go with this stand.

Honestly with out the center brace it would be pretty weak. I would reinforce it with 1/2" thick poplar boards, much stronger than 2x4 (hardwood vs pine).

Honestly with out the center brace it would be pretty weak. I would reinforce it with 1/2" thick poplar boards, much stronger than 2x4 (hardwood vs pine).

The inside of the stand is 40" with the divider at the 20" mark, my sump needs 22". I am thinking of making a 23" section and a 16" section, with a 1" divider, plus other support. So it will still have a center brace, just not directly in the middle.

Thanks. Can't wait to get the overflow.

1. Tank - Friday

2. Lights - Have

3. Sump - Have

4. Return Pump - Friday

5. MAME - Late this week, early next week?

6. Stand - Talking with the woodshop at work and gonna check out a few at stores this weekend

7. Protein Skimmer - will decide while tank cycles

Thing could be wet by next weekend!

It should arive today or tomorrow! B)

From where?

Exotic Reef Creations. I would say 90% of the 18" cube came from Richard. I used to be local to him, now that I moved (across the country) he has $25 shipping. Much easier now than driving the hour plus each way lol

It should arive today or tomorrow! B)

AH, UPS tricked me. They said I had a package coming from amazon, and my wife and I were thinking how we haven't ordered anything from Amazon.

IMG_9136_zpsf0218b83.jpg

IMG_9147_zps56cd277a.jpg

Just realized the return line is tiny! I think my new pump is 5/8"

Yeh I had to order some reducing barbs as I run an inline heater aswell. Also I found http://www.marinedepot.com/Hagen_Fluval_Flexible_Coil_Brush_Cleaning_Brushes_for_Saltwater_Aquarium_Pumps_Filters-Hagen-HG10682-FIMTMB-vi.html to clean it with, works wonderfully with just running hot water and pushing that through the pieces. Bristles could be stiffer but meh I can't complain I guess.

AH, UPS tricked me. They said I had a package coming from amazon, and my wife and I were thinking how we haven't ordered anything from Amazon.

IMG_9136_zpsf0218b83.jpg

IMG_9147_zps56cd277a.jpg

dat glass doe

you get the silence cap for it to?

Yeh I had to order some reducing barbs as I run an inline heater aswell. Also I found http://www.marinedepot.com/Hagen_Fluval_Flexible_Coil_Brush_Cleaning_Brushes_for_Saltwater_Aquarium_Pumps_Filters-Hagen-HG10682-FIMTMB-vi.html'>http://www.marinedepot.com/Hagen_Fluval_Flexible_Coil_Brush_Cleaning_Brushes_for_Saltwater_Aquarium_Pumps_Filters-Hagen-HG10682-FIMTMB-vi.html to clean it with, works wonderfully with just running hot water and pushing that through the pieces. Bristles could be stiffer but meh I can't complain I guess.

How do you keep your mame straight? I just put it on the planted tank quickly and it was tilting like crazy

Damn totally missed the silencer. How necessary is it?

It makes a world of difference. From gurgle to you have to listen to hear water movement. You can honestly put a plastic bottle cap over it and have the same effect but it wont look as sexy, or cut a circle of acrylic to lay on top of it.

Also I use the soft side of a sticky piece of velcro under where my mame rests and with the tubes on it, it sits nice and level.

Archived