Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

cindy's cadlights 8g: on writing deadlines! :O

cindyp

Nice pick up, love the colors these fish have. I had a red one for over a year, he passed about 2 months ago but he was an awesome addition to my tank. He would hide most of the day but was very active in the evening hours. Got along great with my tanaka's wrasse. Very cool fish imo. Nice addition!

I stopped by asd on Saturday, I was shocked to see the sps colony tank broke down and turned into a frag tank. Will said he needed more room and people don't want to buy colonys, they want frags :(. It was a bad ass tank. I will miss it.

But yeah, I was looking at alot of there pieces and most of the sps looked bleached out and almost looked as though they just went through a mini crash on most of the side tanks. The middle frag tubs looked awesome as usual and I seen a basket full of awesome rfa, your fav. I browsed the fish area but always seemed sketch to buy fish from there cause I never see treatment tanks and or quarintine tanks like aw, plus they are known for corals not fish. I'm not docking there store cause I love asd, just sharing my thoughts.

Latter that night I found myself browsing the livesale, :), I picked up 5 new pieces. 4 amazing Shrooms and a frag of doomsday. All will be going into the new tank! Pick up tomorrow evening.

So, when you getting a bigger tank?

hey drama! i never look at the sticks.

i don't think they are selling as much? that's a

real bummer. i'm actually preferring to buy fish from

ASD to AW for now. because AW was selling me

fish that weren't suitable to my 8g tank! (like dragonets

and stuff.) i've not had issue with any of the fish i've

bought from ASD. and fred was from there. he was a great

ycg, till he jumped. :(

wow on the pick ups! i love shrooms too. some of the

gorgeous ones are way too expensive for me, alas.

NO going bigger for some time. with my author travels

coming up, i've found i have less time for the hobby. so

i'm good as is for a while, i think!

Selling like hotcakes :lol: Wilma is gorgeous. She'll probably mellow out as she gets settled. My old helfrichi had a dedicated hidey hole and always went there when he got spooked--never up toward the surface. Did you keep the lid on your 8g? Can't even remember what the CAD 8g lids look like...just a plate of glass like the old IM Nuvo 8g?

mine has two glass lids. but there is about

an inch on the sides, and i lost my first green clown

goby from jumping. so i've put a net over the entire

thing, pinned down by the glass clips, so it's entirely

sealed. that's why i was so sad to lose my ycg, whom

i think jumped during a feeding.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a PSW in my 20g and red neon eviotas in qt--they're so cute! Can't go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned; all small(sih), peaceful, and good-looking :)

Selling like hotcakes :lol: Wilma is gorgeous. She'll probably mellow out as she gets settled. My old helfrichi had a dedicated hidey hole and always went there when he got spooked--never up toward the surface. Did you keep the lid on your 8g? Can't even remember what the CAD 8g lids look like...just a plate of glass like the old IM Nuvo 8g?

Thanks. I've been waiting patiently for a peaceful wrasse. Had a possum in the past and I loved that fish. Was looking for something similar that helps with pests. Would you say your PSW eats snails and pods? I have somewhat of a Colonista snail and Amphipod problem. They are irritating the heck out of my zoas and causing them to shrivel and die.

Also, I agree. My Helfrichis were skiddish at first, but mellowed out. Just have a nice sleep hole for them and they will be happy. One of mine hid for the first 2 weeks and eventually got comfortable.

Thanks. I've been waiting patiently for a peaceful wrasse. Had a possum in the past and I loved that fish. Was looking for something similar that helps with pests. Would you say your PSW eats snails and pods? I have somewhat of a Colonista snail and Amphipod problem. They are irritating the heck out of my zoas and causing them to shrivel and die.

Also, I agree. My Helfrichis were skiddish at first, but mellowed out. Just have a nice sleep hole for them and they will be happy. One of mine hid for the first 2 weeks and eventually got comfortable.

i've been having a burst of copepods

with nothing to eat them. (but much less gross

than amphipods, which were getting almost as big

as my sexy shrimps, yuck!)

my pff is eating the copepods!

and she is out ALL day! she sleeps under

the rock in the corner at night, so i see her

little face peeping out. so cute. :D

My PSW definitely eats pods, not sure on snails. Maybe then they're babies and around pod size, but he never picks at the trochus or ceriths. I'm tempted to try another one of the pygmy wrasses since they're so cute.

i've been having a burst of copepods

with nothing to eat them. (but much less gross

than amphipods, which were getting almost as big

as my sexy shrimps, yuck!)

my pff is eating the copepods!

and she is out ALL day! she sleeps under

the rock in the corner at night, so i see her

little face peeping out. so cute. :D

Yay, glad she's already settling in and has a "spot" all picked out.

hello friends! after looking at the fishies at two

places, i returned to ASD and chose the purple firefish.

please met WILMA, in loving memory of FRED. :)

she's eating and hides a little, but otherwise has been

out and about a lot!

she definitely is more JUMPY, like jaime mentioned.

not sure what i can do about that, other than to be

super vigilant. but even transferring her from acclimation

bowl (which i had fully covered) to the tank with a net,

she jumped out and landed on a reciept on the kitchen counter

and i plopped her in from there. :o

we'll see how it goes.

wilma1.jpg

wilma2.jpg

Awwww...how cute is that? Wilma (in loving memory of Fred) :wub:

She could have been an Ethel too LOL. I like Wilma better :).

Awwww...how cute is that? Wilma (in loving memory of Fred) :wub:

She could have been an Ethel too LOL. I like Wilma better :).

thanks, gena! i like her a lot, and so does the

fam. she swims all day out and about pecking at the

copepods and looking for food to eat. she is not particular

(has had frozen and pellets) and seems to be a little piggy!

hope she does well in the tank. :)

i've noticed this deep red parasite, i assume,

that has been growing around the neck of one

of my RDE zoas. i assume it is bad. it can't be good?

should i chop it off? couldn't get great fotos, but

it has grown like a donut around the neck of one zoa.

ID / advice?

parasite1.jpg

parasite2.jpg

What does it look like exactly? What texture? I'd personally cut off the polyp if I were unsure about it.

it's hard to describe. i haven't touched it, but it

looks like it isn't spongey. it is harder than that. solid.

yeah, i should probably cut it off. i might try and cut off the

parasite first, before the zoa? wah! dunno.

it is a deep maroon color.

and hey, *waves* to fellow SD person.

That's not anything I've ever seen before. weird

i tried to google but no avail, man.

usually, i have luck. or here. augh! it started like

a horseshoe on this zoa's stalk, and now has turned

into a complete donut around its neck.

i don't think it's a critter but a growing thing, obviously.

who knows? my feeling is it can't be good?

I think I had something like that on my zoas awhile back. They were RDE's too, strangely enough. I cut it off but never found out what it was. That particular colony didn't do too well after that though but I'd still suggest you cut out the polyp it's attached to

I think I had something like that on my zoas awhile back. They were RDE's too, strangely enough. I cut it off but never found out what it was. That particular colony didn't do too well after that though but I'd still suggest you cut out the polyp it's attached to

so strange! i wish we could get an ID.

Its black sponge. I lost a bunch of Gorilla Nipples to it. It will eventually cover the zoa. I have found that unlike some of the other sponge the black sponge seem to be very invasive and seem to like light. Unlike the pineapple sponge that seems to do well in the dark spots. I still have one zoa that the base is still intact and the sponge has covered the head. Looks like a black pom pom

here is a pic of it in my tank the red arrow points to the zoa that has the head covered in the sponge.

IMG_0123_zps4kazu8xf.jpg

IMG_0124_zpsrqmm1a0q.jpg

Its black sponge. I lost a bunch of Gorilla Nipples to it. It will eventually cover the zoa. I have found that unlike some of the other sponge the black sponge seem to be very invasive and seem to like light. Unlike the pineapple sponge that seems to do well in the dark spots. I still have one zoa that the base is still intact and the sponge has covered the head. Looks like a black pom pom

thanks sancho. i'm gonna snip the facker off today.

i actually hate sponges.

Haha, I've been popping in and out of your thread lately and I saw that you were in SD as well. Really nice tank! I have a CAD mini 8 as well and I just got my Nanobox Tide yesterday so we have a similar setup.

very cool. do you have your own tank thread? i love my little

cadlights 8g. :D

Just a note, sponges tend to die when exposed to air. If there are other sponges around that you don't like, you can try that route?

It's like an alien invasion in this tank :lol:

I hate sponges too <_< have an ongoing battle with an ugly grey one that keeps creeping up in the tanks.

here is a pic of it in my tank the red arrow points to the zoa that has the head covered in the sponge.

IMG_0123_zps4kazu8xf.jpg

IMG_0124_zpsrqmm1a0q.jpg

It's like an alien invasion in this tank :lol:

I hate sponges too <_< have an ongoing battle with an ugly grey one that keeps creeping up in the tanks.

Beware the sponge :scarry:.

i cleaned the tank today and did a wc,

and was able to pop that donut sponge right off.

sancho, it's not black sponge. i googled the image

and mine doesn't look like that. it is a deep maroon color

though, and definitely a sponge. there is a splat of it

on the zoa frag with feather duster. i'll keep an eye on it.

wilma hid durint the cleaning, which is good. no leaping

fish. but i still need to be vigilant! she is out and about

cruising now, always searching for nosh.

love my pff piggy! :D

You need a lid for that tank? I have one you could have it.

you are a darling! :wub:

but i DO have a lid! or else the pff would be jerky

already, it is so jumpy.

i meant i really need to be careful during cleanings and

waterc changes. i try to keep the lid on, but when i'm scrubbing

and moving stuff, it's impossible.

hows your giant anemone in your 8g???

happy monday! wilma the pff is doing

fabulously. she's been nicknamed "piggy" for

eating very well and out in the middle of the

tank pretty much all day long. :D

sorry for the reflection in the foto.

you can see where i pasted the dendro's base to

prevent those buzzy hydros from coming back. seems

to have worked pretty well so far.

wilma3.jpg

jedimasterben

Just a note, sponges tend to die when exposed to air. If there are other sponges around that you don't like, you can try that route?

This is partially myth. When a sponge is removed from the water, air gets trapped inside some of the pores. Usually the air can make its way out without much trouble, though, so exposing it to air doesn't really ring the death knell. My live rock from the Keys was shipped dry and was covered in sponges, all of which are still with me today.

Archived