Innovative Marine Aquariums

30G Down And Dirty Rimless

smiz

So every store local is out of stock on the tank I want so this will hopefully give me some time to focus on starting this stand! On a positive note I managed to pick up a like new mp10wes for $100 so I'll now have two on my tank!!

Steal man on the Mp10 but hey make the the stand perfect.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the stand is taking a while but I really want it to be perfect. I'm going to use a Formica layer over basically every surface, as well as make the doors out of it.

• 3 months later...

So work and baby took up all my tank time.... Finally got an actual print to my dad so he can start building the stand! It will be slow but soon enough it will be done and the fun will begin!

Cool build. I like your attention to detail. Nice design on the stand. Cannot wait to see this one come to life.

Thanks man, yours has been on my radar for a while as well!

boy or girl? congrats!

Thanks! and its a little baby princess lol. came out with a crown and everything

Just ordered 40lbs of fiji pink, and filters for my RODI.

Do you guys think I will get a cycle using existing water and rock with new live sand?

Just set this tank up on its temp stand. My previous tank is being picked up in two weeks but my stand wont be ready in time, so ghetto garden furniture stand FTW! Hopefully the sand will get here this week so I can get the mini cycle over with before I need to transfer livestock.

• 2 weeks later...

So you'll all be excited to see the first pictures of the setup! It's just how I imagined....... Not. Maybe I should just print a big picture of my CAD model and hang it where tank will be HA. Hopefully my stand will be ready by the end of the month, until then this ghetto setup will have to do. Can start mass producing the hanging fixture if the demand is there!

Old tank is being sold Saturday so everything needs to be transferred today and tomorrow. I used about 50% old water and made the rest new with ESV. Bought 40lbs of Fuji pink sand and will use a cup full from old tank to seed. It has only been up a few days so hopefully it wont have a cycle.

drum roll please......

E5C232B4-7DB9-48CA-8263-25E70B0E8918_zps

• 3 weeks later...

So few quick phone pics. Broke out the good camera but didn't have enough time to get good shots. Scape has changed since these but I'm currently fighting new tank syndrome. Added a few new awesome pieces that i'll try to snap some pics of when my cyano clears up.

BBEBAE77-BD69-4B5F-B8E5-B95B675CB930_zps

55B219B8-0F6D-483D-9EDD-632C75100C4F_zps

• 3 months later...

boy oh boy do i have some serious updates lol. My stand is done and absolutely gorgeous!!! However we remodeled my house recently and moved old furniture into the tank room. Now the tank does not fit where it was going due to furniture and is going to become a shallow in wall mounted tank. Hopefully the small viewing port and large depth area will be a cool addition when looking at the tank. So yeah i refuse to put that gorgeous stand under my stairs to never be seen again lol. Will try to post pics soon!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Stand is being delivered around Halloween, I was going to do the in wall tank, but after getting to see the stand in person I have to use it. Once my stand comes I will actually clean my tank and take some proper pictures!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah a family member builds these! He actually is offering them really cheap considering all the features I asked for like bambo frame with formica shell I thought that was an awesome deal! It is coming down this weekend so will update soon!

STAND IS IN! Now coming to the upsetting realization that I will need to redo all the plumbing for the new tank :(...I hate plumbing!!!!

Busy night tonight with tops but will try to get some pics of the stand because it truly is amazing!

Not exactly, it does have a slide out draw on the top and the electronics section that allow some air flow. Will need to add a vent or something though. Good point kat!

Ok finally got some crappy cell phone pics of the stand. I have to say I really love this thing!

I unfortunatly lost the battle of where the tank is going. So rather then go in our brand new hard wood floored living room it is going in the basement :( well be remodeling that as well so hopefully it will look better down there!

Here she blows. I had all sides be able to open so I can get to anything.
ECE0377F-FBBE-42BD-85BF-206AA3B27196_zps
Looking front on you can see the electronics section on the left.
69D9A7E5-693F-431B-B42F-FAF8DE98AE1B_zps
So purrrrty
B992A35B-FD13-4402-9ADC-6304B1AF212F_zps
Right side looking in
DC43FFE2-DD97-4A3F-9000-B33AA15CFA05_zps
Left side electronic section
E85E9BF2-B624-4059-8913-D5E504A2E1F2_zps
Now for one of my favorite features. A slide able shelf that comes out so I can do all my fragging and water tests right here and not on a bunch of buckets! Very excited about this!
AFD30012-F272-45F0-99E8-FAB736038948_zps
  • 2 weeks later...

The great bryopsis battle is now in full swing!

So I can't post pictures of my tank until you can actually see things other then bryopsis lol. Here are all the battle reports from the attempt to eradicate the bastards!

Battle of The Sea Hare:

I introduced a large sea monster to try to control the population. It wreaked havoc on the bryopsis for two weeks leaving only a few spots left. Suddenly after a three week siege the beast was to be seen no more. It seems the bryopsis took this battle as the hare was found dead on the battle field. After a week the broypsis re took full control of the tank.

Chemical Warefare:

After the sea hare failed to terminate the bryopsis I was forced to take drastic measures. This has worked in the past on a larger tank of mine so I figured it was a sure win. I drop a chemical bomb consisting of 16oz of kent tech m. On my previous tank I used double the dose but it was over 100g system compared to 30-40g. After two days there was absolutely no change.

Ok yes im very bored at work..... but now ive added a lot more CUC but nothing touches it. I really dont want to have to use peroxide and would love a natural solution but im running out of ideas here! I have even scrubbed rocks for it to just come back the next day.

The great bryopsis battle is now in full swing!

So I can't post pictures of my tank until you can actually see things other then bryopsis lol. Here are all the battle reports from the attempt to eradicate the bastards!

Battle of The Sea Hare:

I introduced a large sea monster to try to control the population. It wreaked havoc on the bryopsis for two weeks leaving only a few spots left. Suddenly after a three week siege the beast was to be seen no more. It seems the bryopsis took this battle as the hare was found dead on the battle field. After a week the broypsis re took full control of the tank.

Chemical Warefare:

After the sea hare failed to terminate the bryopsis I was forced to take drastic measures. This has worked in the past on a larger tank of mine so I figured it was a sure win. I drop a chemical bomb consisting of 16oz of kent tech m. On my previous tank I used double the dose but it was over 100g system compared to 30-40g. After two days there was absolutely no change.

Ok yes im very bored at work..... but now ive added a lot more CUC but nothing touches it. I really dont want to have to use peroxide and would love a natural solution but im running out of ideas here! I have even scrubbed rocks for it to just come back the next day.

Hate to say this, but I have been dealing with the same battle for somewhere around 8 months. I tried Tech M...twice. Did nothing but wreak havoc on salinity and alk, and the bryopsis could have cared less. I tried a lettuce nudi with a bunch of big turbos....didn't make much of a dent unfortunately. I tried small amounts of H2O2 dosing, which did somewhat work, but definitely upset certain inhabitants. I eventually got to a point where I was just completely fed up and....

The most drastic thing I tried was to remove as much by hand as I possibly could. I then took my scape apart and took out the most offending rocks and directly treated with H2O2. Then, I dumped about a cup or so of H2O2 straight into the tank, which cause all kinds of problems, but it did kill the bryopsis....for a couple weeks....smh. This stuff is RESILIENT. I am now planning on rebooting the tank with all new rock and sand sometime in January. There are definitely more than 1 type/strain of bryopsis/turf algae. If it is the same as what I have, I wish you LOTS of GOOD LUCK.

BTW. I started with dry rock from reef cleaners. Just out of curiosity, what was the source of your rock? I know that the bryopsis I had came in on a frag plug from WWC, but I really do believe that the reef cleaners dry rock I had has been leaching phosphates that seem to fuel the bryopsis(and now bubble algae unfortunately).

BTW. I started with dry rock from reef cleaners. Just out of curiosity, what was the source of your rock? I know that the bryopsis I had came in on a frag plug from WWC, but I really do believe that the reef cleaners dry rock I had has been leaching phosphates that seem to fuel the bryopsis(and now bubble algae unfortunately).

Man I hate this stuff! I had it in my 100G system and dumped two bottles of kent m in before bed and when I woke up there was absolutly nothing left! My whole tank now though is coated....at least my corals look great lol. I to started with dry rock. I got it from a local guy who had it left over. I think marco rocks maybe?Phosphates were never an issue though. I know mine came in on a frag, but I even plucked it off, scrubbed it, and dipped it! This is by far the worst pest I can think of to have. It just doesn't go away and nothing eats it!

Man I hate this stuff! I had it in my 100G system and dumped two bottles of kent m in before bed and when I woke up there was absolutly nothing left! My whole tank now though is coated....at least my corals look great lol. I to started with dry rock. I got it from a local guy who had it left over. I think marco rocks maybe?Phosphates were never an issue though. I know mine came in on a frag, but I even plucked it off, scrubbed it, and dipped it! This is by far the worst pest I can think of to have. It just doesn't go away and nothing eats it!

One thing that I didn't try was an urchin. It is possible that it would eat it, but still hit or miss. I feel for ya man, this stuff sucks.

Like I said, I am planning on starting over sometime in January. Unfortuntaely, I don't know what to do with the coral that I currently have. I too scrubbed the plug of the frag that brought it over and it still ended up invading this tank. I am afraid it will just take over again, but I don't want to have to trash all my existing coral.

One thing that I didn't try was an urchin. It is possible that it would eat it, but still hit or miss. I feel for ya man, this stuff sucks.

Like I said, I am planning on starting over sometime in January. Unfortuntaely, I don't know what to do with the coral that I currently have. I too scrubbed the plug of the frag that brought it over and it still ended up invading this tank. I am afraid it will just take over again, but I don't want to have to trash all my existing coral.

I've been reading into peroxide and I tihnk I am going to give that a shot. I have some really nice colonies and would hate to lose any but I'm getting really annoyed with this crap lol

Archived