Innovative Marine Aquariums

Best budget led for a cube?

spazizz

Are the reef breeders value the best budget lights right now? I was thinking about getting the nano-lite for my new 18x18x18 cube. The MH has to go, it's just to hot and use to much electricity. I wish the reef breeders had limes though.

If there are any other budget options to light the kind of foot print let me know, thanks. Trying to stay under $200 preferably around $150.

I wouldn't have any where to mount it. Not sure if it would be enough coverage either.

Someone has a MaxSpect Celestial for like 180

JavaJacketOC

I wouldn't have any where to mount it. Not sure if it would be enough coverage either.

Check out the reviews, it has a pretty small footprint (unless you absolutely have no room to mount) but a pretty wide coverage area.

Yeah I have zero room with my HOB skimmer and HOB filter.

Check out the reviews, it has a pretty small footprint (unless you absolutely have no room to mount) but a pretty wide coverage area.

Hmm, I think it's metal arm only, so you may not have room on your tank. It's basically the Tide with a black or white chassis, the arm, no dimming/controller but with the ability to upgrade to one later.

famousdan314
CatfishSoupFTW

54 watt par38 would do it nicely. Enough light from high I low so you can really play around with that depth. Been tempted on a cube that size for a while. Par38 would suffice and worst case get a gooseneck with double head and get another bulb later down the road if needed. Bulbs go for 150 or less. I have one 16-18k lighting but I blocked out 2 white diodes and made a DIY moonlight for under 5 bucks. Love it.

Whenever I see tibbsy's avatar, I think of him stuck in a basement lab, with petrie dishes laying around, him, mumbling about his Swingline stapler and missing out on cake.

Keep checking Craigslist- all types of aquarium products come up everyday. You'll probably be able to find a higher end light at a reasonable price.

• 2 weeks later...

Some very good 50w full spectrum LED units out there on the bay. I have 2 such units which come with 2 on/off/rotary dimming controls. at a cost of just $120 inc delivery to the USA. Size just 8.3/4" x 5,1/2" and yes you can grow acros under them with colour.

Nanobox Tide is $250 if I remember correctly. And should be good for an 18" cube. Not to mention a 2 yr warranty, made in USA, hand made, etc. :)

Having already gotten a cheap eBay light, my vote is get the best you can afford and don't try to cut corners or you'll just end up buying 2 lights.

Ive been in the hobby for awhile so I know cutting corners doesnt always work(been there done that). I'm still undecided on the light though, lots of choices. I look at my MH and feel like like Im not ready to give it up yet. It's so bright and that shimmer. Every inch of the tank is lit up.

Nanobox Tide is $250 if I remember correctly. And should be good for an 18" cube. Not to mention a 2 yr warranty, made in USA, hand made, etc. :)

Having already gotten a cheap eBay light, my vote is get the best you can afford and don't try to cut corners or you'll just end up buying 2 lights.

Just thought I would share my experience. :) if you love that shimmer maybe a Kessil A150W is a good option? They go for around $175 used or so and you can hang it or use a gooseneck.

Led has MH shimmer, if not more so.

And a fraction of the forward facing heat.

Whats your budget, the suggestions in this thread are all over the place?(Duh, 150-200).

There's a Kessil 350 for sale in Hardware, for example. I dont think you can go wrong with a NanoBox, either made or DIY, as another.

Archived