Innovative Marine Aquariums

14G BioCube Steves LED

jgaepi

So this question is coming from a NOOB. While there is zillions of good info on this forum, most of it is scattered around so it is hard to put the pieces together. So I will pretend this is for the purposes of updating older info.

I ordered the 14G BioCube retrofit kit at 99% complete for my new Coralife. I ordered the basic lighting configuration (nothing special).

A) The email said that it is a snap to install the completed kit but I don't really believe that. I think I need to cut some holes, cut off some plastic and modify the clear cover. So did anyone retrofit a 14g BC and can give me easy instructions so I don't screw up my new tank?

B) I ordered the controller. What is a typical daytime setting using Steves controller? 8 hrs, 10hr, 12hrs, mixed?

C) What dim setting should I run it at? I haven't added fish or coral yet. Tank is still in the cycle process.

D) What are the moonlights for and when would I use them?

Thank you.

Hi jbaepi,

Congrats on going with a good light! I installed this kit a about a year ago and have been very happy with it. There is a little bit of work as far as modifying the hood. Here are the complete instructions from the StevesLED website site http://www.stevesleds.com/uploads/Biocube_14_LED_REtrofit_Installation_Guide_42914.pdf

As you will see, there are a few plastic posts that need to be cut off. I used an oscillating saw, but I think even a good side cutters would work. it will all be covered up buy the unit so neatness is not a factor.

As far as the settings, I turn my current pots up to 100% and then set my typhoon controller dim up from 0-70% over 2 hours in the morning and back down to 0% at night for a total of 10 hours.

I got mine before they were adding moon lights, but I would believe that they are low powered blue LEDs that can be run at night so that you can still see the tank but will not affect growth or upset nocturnal livestock.

Best of luck!

Archived