Innovative Marine Aquariums

new guy 5.5g light ?

monkdaily

Well i am finally getting back into the hobby. I have been gone for quite a while something like 6 years. It seems like the last forum i was on swithed hands and isnt as active as it once was. Besides this seems more specific to my needs. So hello everyone. i am jumping back in with a simple 5.5g from petco. I want a mixed reef with everything from sps to rics. Im pretty knowledgeable drawing on my past tank with some refreshers from time to time. The thing is when i got out of the hobby there wasnt par30/38 bulbs so its new to me. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a par38 from ocreef, rapidled, or lightboxled. Then i read one post on the interwebs that made me pause. It said par38s in a 5.5g have been known to bleach sps and melt rics. Which now has me thinking maybe i should go par30. But i am also from the school of study do research and get it right the first time. Saves money and hassle. So would a par30 work for all corals in a 5.5g or stick with the plan and go par38?

Yeah 200 is out of my price range for a light (no matter how impressive they look). So a par30 with 80* can support acros, montis, and shrooms? I just dont want to have to turn around and purchase a par38 to support the life i want.

Great post. I am wondering the same thing. I've seen people do par38 but haven't seen the long term. I've got a 4 gal and I'm debating the Coral Compulsion par38 vs par30 (14k's)

Following. Hope you (now we lol) get some help!!

Anyone else? I mean if i can grow anything and not be limited on species i grow ill go par30. But if i am not going to be happy and just have to upgrade later ill do the 38. But i dont plan on upgrading tanks for a while.

Great post. I am wondering the same thing. I've seen people do par38 but haven't seen the long term. I've got a 4 gal and I'm debating the Coral Compulsion par38 vs par30 (14k's)

Following. Hope you (now we lol) get some help!!

Anyone else? I mean if i can grow anything and not be limited on species i grow ill go par30. But if i am not going to be happy and just have to upgrade later ill do the 38. But i dont plan on upgrading tanks for a while.

The Coral Compulsion Par30 is perfect for these tanks. I'd go with the 90 degree optics - they come stock with 60 degrees, but you can ask that they swap them out on the order form. They'll do it free if you ask when you order. Otherwise you'll have the buy the lenses from them for 3 bucks later and do it yourself.

I've never used the par 30 myself , but I did use the 38 over a standard 5.5g a few years ago. One thing I would strongly recommend is going with a wide angle lens . I think I had 90° optics and the center of the tank had a huge bright spot and made the tank look weird. I then paid the money and switched to nano box and the problem went away. I think something in the 120° range would help rid that issue, but I never tried it personally.

The Coral Compulsion Par30 is perfect for these tanks. I'd go with the 90 degree optics - they come stock with 60 degrees, but you can ask that they swap them out on the order form. They'll do it free if you ask when you order. Otherwise you'll have the buy the lenses from them for 3 bucks later and do it yourself.

Tibbsy i knew you'd come through ive been lurking for a while here and you got all the answers. Youre a big help thanks a lot

I've never used the par 30 myself , but I did use the 38 over a standard 5.5g a few years ago. One thing I would strongly recommend is going with a wide angle lens . I think I had 90° optics and the center of the tank had a huge bright spot and made the tank look weird. I then paid the money and switched to nano box and the problem went away. I think something in the 120° range would help rid that issue, but I never tried it personally.

What light did you use?

My budget is max 100 for a bulb. Of coure i would like to stay under that. Its not so much about being cheap as about not spending money for somethign i dont need (overkill)

I think a dimmable par30 is the way to go. I can acclimate and everything with it. The only trouble is finding a fixture to support it. I cant justify 50 bucks for a goseneck but if it does the job i guess

Sorry i meant par30. No need to pay for watts and bulbs that are only going to be halfway used

The Par30 bulbs are rarely dimmable - the Coral Compulsion Par30s are not. You don't need to dim them for this. Ninja and JBB are right, in that dimming is great and then you don't need to worry about bleaching. But with the Par30 bulbs and the 90 degree optics, you don't need to worry about it any ways. I have the 18k Par30 90 degree optics, Gena had the same (though I think hers was 60 degrees), and Sandeep has the 120 degree optics. None of us have/had bleaching problems.

Use this lamp http://www.staples.com/Tensor-Black-Swing-Arm-Incandescent-CFL-Clamp-Lamp/product_408203 and clamp it all down (make sure to use the upper hinge springs that come in the box, but are unattached) so that the light is ~9" off the surface of the water. With the 90 degree optics, your tanks will both be 100% set.

I wouldn't recommend the gooseneck from Coral Compulsion - it is a great gooseneck, but it is HEAVY and smaller tanks like the 5.5 have thin glass that could crack easily. Use the lamp I linked and it will work out better. I had the CC bulb and gooseneck and switched to the lamp above. I got mine on sale in store for 8 bucks.

Hehehe, sorry JBB, I accidentally posted the same but missed yours

Check out http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/328082-55g-reef-islands/page-2

He's using the par30 18k CC bulb and his tank looks fantastic - color and growth.

par30 is about $40 cheaper than the par38... if that matters

Yeah. Neither the 4g or the 5.5g need the par38. Get the Par30. Use 90 degree optics (like mine) or 120 degrees (like Sandeep in that thread). Either one will be great for these tanks.

Wow thanks a lot looks like the par30 wins out. See i have a AQ70 thats going to be hung also so the gooseneck really scared me but everyone was having trouble with the desk lamps colapsing at and motion

But if you are willing too, you can get a reef breeders nano lite... Which imo would be the best option. You can create how bright you want it and it has good enough spread to where it could cover a larger tank in the future if you want to upgrade.

http://reefbreeders.com/shop/nano-lite/

I have one over my 12g nano cube and I really like it, and actually I won't be able to take my 12g to college so I'm just going to leave it pretty bare and maybe move my nano lite over to my 5.5g

For the desk lamp, you have to clamp it TIGHT. And make sure all the springs are properly in place. I was worried about it, too, but it holds amazingly.

The gooseneck kept making my tank "creak" if it got touched. The tensor lamp allows you to swing the light out of the way for maintenance and such.

Par30 w/ 90 degrees, ~60

Staples lamp (depending on store) 25 tops

85 bucks for a great 5.5g and under lamp.

If you have the money, go Nanobox Tide or Eco Mini. If not, go with the CC/lamp.

Just ordered the par30 18k CC lamp. Hopefully it ships out tomorrow. The nanobox light is so slick thats the only other light i would save money for. The ol lady might have a thing or two to say about that though. Thanks everyone. Im gathering pieces little by little while i refresh on some information. I hope to maybe start a build log when i get all the supplies together

Archived