SaltCritters.com

Adam's Nuvo 16 - Advice Welcome

adamci24

Hey everyone, I'm new here. This looks like a great site, I've been reading a lot the past weeks but just joined!

So I would consider myself still a semi-beginner in the saltwater hobby. I used to have a 75 gallon 2 years ago that was going great but I had to take it down because of my work schedule and not enough time to learn and maintain it.

But now i'm back with an IM Nuvo 16! I decided to go with the nuvo series because of the awesome look and size. I am putting this tank on a bar in the main living room so I didn't want anything huge, but large enough to have a couple nice fish and lots of coral!

This is the list of what I have so far after doing research on this site:

-IM Nuvo 16 Black

-Radion XR15w

-Vortech MP10w

-Cobalt MJ1200 (upgraded stock nuvo return pump)

-Eheim 50 watt heater

-Live sand

-Aqua-cultured live rock from LFS

On Order:

-inTank Media Baskets

-Chemi-pure elite

-Other random stuff thats not very important as of now (DIY ATO parts)

The tank has had water in it for 48 hours so far...

I am having a custom black acrylic canopy made to house the Radion XR15w as well as cover up light bleed and wires. (Radion was placed on glass top for a second to take pic for now)

Here are some pics:

post-85380-0-92075800-1407376068_thumb.jpg

post-85380-0-70396300-1407374869_thumb.jpg

post-85380-0-29332700-1407376035_thumb.jpg

NOW...Here are my first questions I have in this tanks journey. (I'm sure i'll have many) :P

-What should I do to cycle this tank properly? I used Live sand, aqua-cultured live rock, and RO-DI saltwater from my LFS...They recommended using "Nite-Out II" which I bought a smaller bottle of, but have not added anything as of yet. Should I use this stuff? Right now my tests show zero for nitrites and nitrates, no ammonia, 8.0-8.2 PH, alk good. Temp at 79 degrees.

-What would you recommend for the inTank media baskets? I would like to use Chemi-Pure Elite for sure, and I'm guessing filter floss for the top, but what should I put in the middle? Also should I wait until after the tank cycles to add the chemi-pure?

UPDATE AUG 19th:

Hey guys! Tank update:

I have been cycling for a couple weeks now, ammonia went up along with nitrites, and as of today I have very very little ammonia, zero nitrites and 10-20 nitrates.

I am not putting the radion xr15w on the glass! Lol I just did it for a second to take a pic. I am having a custom black acrylic canopy made to house the radion and get rid of some light overflow on the walls.

The canopy should be ready August 27th, so in just going to keep cycling until then.

I bought an Apex base unit! My wallet hurt after that one, but I like the features and wireless info/programming. I also got the WXM module for the radion and the vortech.
I plan on getting the breakout box for my ATO float switches. I am having trouble with a pump to use for the ATO as my aqualifter is maxed out at 30" and it just dribbles pretty slow.

Lastly, about the cobalt 1200 pump. Mine does make some noise but it's not really noticeable in the living room where this tank is. I have it mounted in the bottom of the center chamber. How did you guys get it to mount vertically on the wall? Back or dividing wall? The 3-suction base it came with doesn't fit in the nuvo. I have it sitting on a single suction cup right now?

More updates soon!

UPDATE AUG 25th:

The custom acrylic canopy is here! Check out the pics below. I am amazed at how it turned out. The radion fit perfectly!

I just did a 5 gal water change and am going to retest my levels...I added a couple snails and they are doing great...climbing the glass.

Canopy Pics:

Photo_Aug_25_4_27_53_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_28_06_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_30_19_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_31_41_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_35_56_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_37_30_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_38_02_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_40_38_PM.jpg

Hey everyone, I'm new here.

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com.

What should I do to cycle this tank properly? I used Live sand, aqua-cultured live rock, and RO-DI saltwater from my LFS.

Sounds like the rock has already been cured/cycled. This would mean that it shouldn't have die off that would spike ammonia. Therefore, chances are that the nitrogen cycle is already established (for your current bioload, which is very small). When you add livestock, you just have to go slow (so the bacteria populations have time to adjust to the new load).

They recommended using "Nite-Out II" which I bought a smaller bottle of, but have not added anything as of yet. Should I use this stuff?

While it shouldn't hurt anything, I don't see the need for it.

Right now my tests show zero for nitrites and nitrates, no ammonia, 8.0-8.2 PH, alk good. Temp at 79 degrees.

Sounds good. If ammonia is still undetectable after a week, then I'd add a small cleanup crew, wait another week, then add a small, hardy fish.

What would you recommend for the inTank media baskets? I would like to use Chemi-Pure Elite for sure, and I'm guessing filter floss for the top, but what should I put in the middle? Also should I wait until after the tank cycles to add the chemi-pure?

StevieT recommends Purigen. But, you don't have to use anything (or could use something else). Most people add their chemical filtration after the cycle has been established , so it's fine to add it now if you want.
lilmatty5dimes

hello and welcome to NR.

i'll agree with above. throw in a few flakes to give it a lil fake bioload and make sure you don't get ammonia. everything is looking good.

Is your light laying on the glass tank lid?

It could help to hang it or mont it to get better spread since it looks slightly shadowed but could just be your camera

Nice list of equipment. I'd watch out for that MJ1200 pump in the Nuvo 16 though. I recently tried that same configuration and got a lot of noise out of the rear chamber area. It seemed to reverberate out quite loudly. I went back to the stock pump for now. Mine is also in the living room so I'm a little sensitive to the extra noise.

Nice list of equipment. I'd watch out for that MJ1200 pump in the Nuvo 16 though. I recently tried that same configuration and got a lot of noise out of the rear chamber area. It seemed to reverberate out quite loudly. I went back to the stock pump for now. Mine is also in the living room so I'm a little sensitive to the extra noise.

That's odd! I'm using the mj1200 and it's amazingly quiet. I attached it to the back wall using the suction cups and mounting bracket that it came with. If I try to set it on the bottom of the middle chamber it makes a loud noise.

To the OP, I use filter floss (pillow stuffing from Walmart), Purigen, and carbon in that order. I cycled my tank using dry rock and allowed a table shrimp to disintegrate for a few weeks until my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I didn't use any filter media during the cycle.

That's odd! I'm using the mj1200 and it's amazingly quiet. I attached it to the back wall using the suction cups and mounting bracket that it came with. If I try to set it on the bottom of the middle chamber it makes a loud noise.

Yea, I was surprised too since everyone seems to have good luck with the MJs. Maybe I got a bad one? I didn't try attaching it to the back wall though.

Sweet tank and cool gear! Are you planning on buying the RMS mount for the Radion?

Yea, I was surprised too since everyone seems to have good luck with the MJs. Maybe I got a bad one? I didn't try attaching it to the back wall though.

What make did you buy? I've heard the Cobalt brand is the true "MJ" and quieter.

Hey there , I upgraded my Nuvo 16 pump with a Sicce 1.5 (358gph) with two spin streams- really like the pump - powerful and quiet. Tanks looking good!

Hey guys! Tank update:

I have been cycling for a couple weeks now, ammonia went up along with nitrites, and as of today I have very very little ammonia, zero nitrites and 10-20 nitrates.

I am not putting the radion xr15w on the glass! Lol I just did it for a second to take a pic. I am having a custom black acrylic canopy made to house the radion and get rid of some light overflow on the walls.

The canopy should be ready August 27th, so in just going to keep cycling until then.

I bought an Apex base unit! My wallet hurt after that one, but I like the features and wireless info/programming. I also got the WXM module for the radion and the vortech.

I plan on getting the breakout box for my ATO float switches. I am having trouble with a pump to use for the ATO as my aqualifter is maxed out at 30" and it just dribbles pretty slow.

Lastly, about the cobalt 1200 pump. Mine does make some noise but it's not really noticeable in the living room where this tank is. I have it mounted in the bottom of the center chamber. How did you guys get it to mount vertically on the wall? Back or dividing wall? The 3-suction base it came with doesn't fit in the nuvo. I have it sitting on a single suction cup right now?

More updates soon!

That's odd! I'm using the mj1200 and it's amazingly quiet. I attached it to the back wall using the suction cups and mounting bracket that it came with. If I try to set it on the bottom of the middle chamber it makes a loud noise. To the OP, I use filter floss (pillow stuffing from Walmart), Purigen, and carbon in that order. I cycled my tank using dry rock and allowed a table shrimp to disintegrate for a few weeks until my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I didn't use any filter media during the cycle.

Mine does make some noise but it's not really noticeable in the living room where this tank is. I have it mounted in the bottom of the center chamber. How did you guys get it to mount vertically on the wall? Back or dividing wall? The 3-suction base it came with doesn't fit in the nuvo. I have it sitting on a single suction cup right now?

Well guys, only a few more days before I get to pick up the custom canopy for the Nuvo 16! I haven't had the Radion on at all the past 3 weeks because I don't want to set it on the glass.

I have zero algae right now. Maybe because of no light hooked up? Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and 10-20 Nitrates still. Had some baby snails and baby shrimp/pods on the live rock I bought. There were about 20 small tan specs about the size of pen tip on my glass that were definitely snails. Most died off during cycling however.

Still programming Apex...but it is hooked up as well.

Once i get the canopy and radion mounted i'll update with pics!

UPDATE AUG 25th:

The custom acrylic canopy is here! Check out the pics below. I am amazed at how it turned out. The radion fit perfectly!

I just did a 5 gal water change and am going to retest my levels...I added a couple snails and they are doing great...climbing the glass.

Canopy Pics:

Photo_Aug_25_4_27_53_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_28_06_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_30_19_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_31_41_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_37_30_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_38_02_PM.jpg

Photo_Aug_25_4_40_38_PM.jpg

Pretty cool canopy.

Ai first I wondered what the cones were. Then I realized that it was an automatic margarita glass salting station. :lol:

Pretty cool canopy.Ai first I wondered what the cones where. Then I realized it was an automatic margarita glass salting station. :lol:

Haha! The tank is on the end of the bar in the living room. There are 3 glass shelves going up the one wall and the tank is currently under the the lowest shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

That's odd! I'm using the mj1200 and it's amazingly quiet. I attached it to the back wall using the suction cups and mounting bracket that it came with. If I try to set it on the bottom of the middle chamber it makes a loud noise. To the OP, I use filter floss (pillow stuffing from Walmart), Purigen, and carbon in that order. I cycled my tank using dry rock and allowed a table shrimp to disintegrate for a few weeks until my ammonia and nitrite went to zero. I didn't use any filter media during the cycle.

I would like to see a picture of how this is mounted to the back wall. My cobalt mj1200 showed up last night abd now I can't decide how to put it in. The stick plumbing also looks larger then the discharge nossel on the 1200

I just went for it, out the one cup on the bottom, tightened the plumbing down onto the mj1200 discharge nossel and put it right back in, it is more quiet than the stock pump with lots more flow. I'm very satisfied with the cobalt. The stock pump was rather slimey. Is this normal for a new tank that just got diatoms yesterday? Or is that something I need to treat in itself...

• 7 months later...

Hey Adam-

That's an awesome canopy for your nuvo 16. Can you tell me where you got it? I was going to try to build my own, but that one looks perfect for what I'm looking for. I would much rather order one than build one. Hopefully they still have the specs from yours.

HarryPotter

Hey Adam-

That's an awesome canopy for your nuvo 16. Can you tell me where you got it? I was going to try to build my own, but that one looks perfect for what I'm looking for. I would much rather order one than build one. Hopefully they still have the specs from yours.

+1 LOVE THE CANOPY

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! I had the canopy custom made at a plastic company here in Buffalo. I designed it myself. I could post the files on here and you can see if a company around you can make it. I paid close to 150 to have it custom built. The only thing I would change is the lips on the side that rests on the glass. I would push them farther up because right now I can see the water line plus about 3/4 of an inch which doesn't looks as nice.

I haven't done an update on here in awhile but I will post soon I have had a lot happen with this tank but it's still pumping along now.

Hey Adam-

Archived