ReefCleaners.org

xr15 vs xr 30 for 24x24

blazerino

I am in the process of planning a 14x14x12 shallow reef and am torn between getting the new ecotech xr15 or going all out and getting the xr30. Reef will have a mixture of sps and soft corals.

I am planning to aquascape the tank to have a lot of negative space (aka just sand) in the center with most of the rockwork forming a semi-circle around the outside edge, so having enough light for sps growth on the edges is important for me.

Will the xr15 be sufficient for a 24x24 tank or will it be too dim around the edges?

I would just go with the xr30. This will ensure you have enough coverage and it is not really that much more, especially when you say you want negative space in the middle of the tank, this is where the light would be the strongest. Plus, if you ever upgrade in the future you can use the larger light again.

I don't think either would be a good choice. Either light would illuminate the center(sand) and yet the perimeter where you plan to place corals will be most dim. I reccomend strips inset from the edge by about 4" or so. Who's led strips is another question.

Two 30s over 24x24 would be what I would do. Not for intensity; for coverage.

Do a Google Image search on 'VESA' and 'RADION', for cool looking mounting idea.

XR30 or a pair of them. XR15 won't have the best spread unless you go wide angle and plan to do softies and maybe some LPS.

Archived