Pod Your Reef

JBJ 28 Retro-fit with Chinese Evergrow D120

Randyp79

I currently run the Chinese Evergrow D120's over my 180 and I am very happy with the results. Tonight while thinking about upgrading my JBJ 28 to LED I started to think that I could just order another D120 and take the LED board out and retro-fit it into my hood. I could then run wires to the dimmers and drives which would be stored in the stand. I am wondering if anyone has tried to take apart a D120 and make the LED board fit in a JBJ 28 hood.

The reason I am asking is because you can get a brand new full spectrum D120 for about $90 shipped. That is significantly less that any of the other retro-fit kits I am seeing out there right now.

Thanks

Lets see for starters I suggest measureing the jbj's splash shield so you know exactly what space you have for an led retrofit.

Since you already have a D120 you should take one down when it's not running and look at how it's built. I'm not saying take the wiring apart or anything but if you can get the coverings off you can see what makes one of these tick and measure the parts to see if it will fit.

Your biggest opponent in this endeavor will likely be the heatsink and fans. Also if you do retro the board(s) into your hood just take off all the optics, if possible, as you wont need them with the light source that close to the water line.

It looks like the fixture is 15.75" by 8.35" by 2.37". There's clearly fluff dimensions there where the led board(s) is/are concerned but I cannot tell how much from pictures tbh.\

If you don't want to take one of your existing units appart for fear of damaging it then, as you said, they're like $94.50 on Ebay.

That tank already runs hot...

What are you going to do about the heatsink?

Big doubt it would fit, its like 6x10 inches(it was on my HQI).

Rapid sells the HSUSA 10.000x6x1 for their NC28 retros.

I dont think that chinese board would fit lxw, probably fit h dimension. But I dont know what the new NC28s look like in there. Niw that they put their own craptastic LED boards in there, the molding maybe completely different.

Ps, honestly, I love to save a ton in this hobby myself. But when one gets to this level of frugality(putting crappy cheap chinese leds into a crappy cheap chinese AIO), maybe a different hobby should be looked into.

Archived