SaltCritters.com

I am clueless as to why nothing in my system is growing!

evan127

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the phosphates other than "high"?

What test kit did you use to check it?

I still think you're experiencing the exact same thing I had with my tank -- over export of nutrients. Push back the water changes to every 2 weeks. My tank has progressed more in the last month for growth, color and now coraline algae than it has the last 6 months.

What are the phosphates other than "high"?

What test kit did you use to check it?

I still think you're experiencing the exact same thing I had with my tank -- over export of nutrients. Push back the water changes to every 2 weeks. My tank has progressed more in the last month for growth, color and now coraline algae than it has the last 6 months.

I think many reefers who keep lots of acros are running into this problem recently, myself included, since the equipment and methods now at our disposal for exporting nutrients have become so effective. I think many SPS reefers end up overdoing it on their tanks and slowly realize they wasted a lot of money and should have just bought a lot of really good food! The best nano sized SPS tank I ever saw had nothing but a CaRx, a big skimmer, lots of fish, and tons of HUGE colorful acros.

GFO is awesome, but if you use anywhere near what BRS suggests on an SPS tank - especially a nano-sized one, it'll suck the life out of your acros. And if you use it, you absolutely have to feed your tank - and feet it a lot.

I think water changes are still the best thing you can do so cutting back on them I disagree with, but cutting back on chemical filtration will be a much better solution.

I don't mean permanently just do it for a month and see what happens. After one month of me cutting out gfo carbon and water changes the difference was noticeable. You basically want to brown out the acros.

CatfishSoupFTW

i was getting slow growth as well in my tank, but then i started feeding my corals (not targetting though) rotifeast, and then changed to reefroids as those last me longer. my pink hippo has been growing insanely quick now. aka money makinn!!!!

Archived