Top Shelf Aquatics

Need advise to catch a orchid dottyback

dottybackss

dottybackss

Tried the diy bottle and starve my tank for one day already but is not working my dottyback dont even try go into the bottle and eat the food.

Keep the bottle in there as well. Sometime it takes a long time before fish are comfortable with something new in the tank. In one of my previous tanks, it took me several weeks to get a fish out with a fish trap.

I caught my Springeri dottyback with the bottle trap baited with mysis. I placed the bottle in an "arch" in the rocks where the dottyback frequented. Caught him in less than 10 minutes.

Try placing the bottle in a secure area near the dottyback's hideouts. It might help to condition the fish to the trap as well by feeding near it but not in it for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

In small tanks I like to pump out the water into a holding tank (5 gallon bucket works for me) then grab the fish and pump the water back in. It usually takes 5 minutes and it's done with little stress to the tank or the fish.

Last resort: Drain water down as low as you are comfortable. Start pulling out rocks one by one and putting in water you drained.

I hate having to do that, but it may be your only option at this point… I had the exact same case with my royal gramma.

Because, in general they are a$$holes. ;)

Yes, very small evil a$$holes.

I caught my bicolor dottyback with a bottle trap 1 hour after introducing it to the tank. I put it in and it went on a crazy spree. Chased and attacked everything. I like my firefish more, so it came out. Maybe one day I'll do a small 3 gal devoted only to one dottyback.

My orchid dottyback is doing ok so far. It seems kind of young so maybe that's the reason why it isn't aggressive. Masterbuilder are you sure you didn't have a purple dottyback instead of an orchid one? The orchid dottyback has a horizontal stripe running across its eye and body.

Purples are known to be a lot more aggressive than orchids.

Here is my orchid, he doesn't bother anyone and is very inquisitive, discovering new caves within the rock and such:

post-83748-0-03475600-1409097074_thumb.jpg

Archived