Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine Fusion 30L

AthenaAndApollo

AthenaAndApollo

So, I suppose it was time to give everyone an update. I finally have my new tank set up!

Basically, here's what happened:

I had bought a Nano 24 gal from Innovative marine and it ended up cracking exactly a week later. So, for the last month, we've been quarantining my fish and inverts at a different LFS while Innovative Marine shipped our new tank. Last week, we had it set up, and it's officially been one week since we've had it running. Let me just say, that I love, love, love this tank.

Since I am a beginner, I researched and listened to the owner of the LFS on what he had to say about setting up tanks. He set everything up for me, but I helped out with picking this and that. We ended up going with 20lbs of fiji live sand, and 20-24 lbs of live rock (I added around three pounds after we set everything up.) Then, we put in 25 gallons of bacteria-enriched (?) water to help boost the cycling process. After a few days, I re-arranged my live rock to the perfect setup, and I'm very happy to say that a week later I have detritus on the sand, and algae on the rocks! Now, I know that algae may not be a great thing, but I have introduced a clean-up crew to fix that. They're doing a great job.

The tank is beautiful. The design is sleek, and modern, and looks absolutely wonderful. It is absolutely silent for the most part, even with the built in "wave makers" going. My only concern now is that every once in a while for about 30 minutes I'll hear clicking or cracking noises, in no particular pattern. I don't know where it's coming from exactly, but it sounds like its coming from the back section of the tank. This worries me, due to my last encounter from innovative marine. There are no leaks, and everything is level. I'm sure this is just my anxiety acting up, but I remain cautious about what might happen.

I highly recommend this tank, however. Like I said before, beautiful design, virtually silent, and fairly easy to maintain!

AthenaAndApollo

No pumps against glass. Infact, nothing is touching the glass, nor acrylic in the back. The tank is on my desk, which has been levelled. It sounds like something is settling, and its a sound similar to a click, or a cracking noise. It doesn't sound like anything hitting glass, so I'm assuming its coming from the back of the tank, but what is it? I have some different things in filter media bags, such as carbon, some of those phosphate beads (The name has slipped me) and some sea-chem "de-nitrate" rocks. Maybe its the rocks settling against the beads? I'm not sure, but I sure hope my tank doesn't crack!

• 3 weeks later...

First off let me say how thrilled i am that you were able to establish a new tank. I was kind of hard on you the last time i posted about your cracked 24 but i'm certain that the 30L will be a good tank for you and i'm sure you wont have the cracking problem with this tank.

Now, about the clicking sound. It could be anything from the tank settling to media moving around, etc.

It also could be this slight possibility. The "Mantis Shrimp" is an occasional hitch hiker on live rock and they make a rather loud clicking sound when feeding. Sometimes they will hide in the rock and you may never see it but most of the time they will venture out at night.

They are omnivorous and are born predators but most folks consider them a good find in their tanks as long as you realize they will eat most all other life in the tank (except corals) when they get bigger.

They also can give you a nasty bite too.

I doubt if this is what you're hearing but it's a thought to watch out for. AVIATOR300

Archived