ReefCleaners.org

Under The Boardwalk

mechishark7

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ya like sink a single beer can into it and get a goby or blenny if you have them to live in it.

Have you seen that pic before of the clown goby in the pop can.

Idk but if you want a fish try a flaming prawn goby it will need pods but nothing crazy like a mandarin. Oh also it depends your budget cheapest I've seen is 100$ for one but stunning fish super tiny.

Anyone have any idea what these are?

FDCFD7E6-7652-4DEA-A3CB-AECFB989F1A0_zps

5C0E1EF1-DC43-4A4B-8988-DD10E4263E81_zps

5789A96C-69E5-40C4-BB35-735EF245D172_zps

I'm not good with species that are from cooler waters... My best guess for the top fish would be a settled/settling pelagic species (Pilotfish, snapper, trevally, etc) or a small benthic fish, like a blenny, goby, etc

Idk but if you want a fish try a flaming prawn goby it will need pods but nothing crazy like a mandarin. Oh also it depends your budget cheapest I've seen is 100$ for one but stunning fish super tiny.

Those are really cool I've seen them for $50-$80. Other extremely small gobies will work as well.

Does anyone know how to get spray paint to dry faster? I painted this piling a week ago and its still soft to the touch. Like leaves fingerprints when you handle it soft, however they do settle out.

I tried using a hot hairdryer and it just made it softer.

Any suggestions?

Dr.Brain Coral

I don't know if this will be to helpful but before it dries you could take a log or piece of wood and roll it around the pillar to give it grain like a real piling

I don't know if this will be to helpful but before it dries you could take a log or piece of wood and roll it around the pillar to give it grain like a real piling

yeah but metal pilings usually don't have wood grain textures...and its not that soft, any impression I make on it settles out to flat again in minutes

Does anyone know how to get spray paint to dry faster? I painted this piling a week ago and its still soft to the touch. Like leaves fingerprints when you handle it soft, however they do settle out.

Any suggestions?

I don't have any specific advice, but google suggests to just keep it in a well-circulated room, perhaps with a fan on. This probably isn't relevant, but I have this problem with nail polish regularly, and one thing that does dry and harden nail polish is UV radiation at a certain wavelength (I believe it is 400). Maybe there is a similar trick to help your paint dry faster? The other thing that works for me is to (very gingerly) take a hot bath once the nail polish gets to the point where it should be bone-dry but is still... tacky. It will soften as it heats up, but once I get out of the tub and dry off for 5-10 minutes it has hardened fully- the way it should have to begin with. You may also try using a hairdryer on the cold setting instead of the hot one.

AquaticEngineer

Ya like sink a single beer can into it and get a goby or blenny if you have them to live in it.

Glass bottles are a pretty normal site under and around pilings and docks out here (PNW), usually already covered with barnacles and algae. I'd definitely grab one if you see it :)

A friend of mine and I brainstormed doing a very similar PVC piling in his coldwater tank and had planned to use pvc with an epoxy mixture and texture it. Then we were going to put one of these on top to make it extra authentic, and to keep the seagulls from pooping in the tank ;)

blackconepilingcapandlineholder.jpg

You can find those at http://www.pilingcaps.com/

Any suggestions?

What brand of spray paint did you use? That's odd... I used krylon fusion and it was dry enough to pick u p in half an hour.

What brand of spray paint did you use? That's odd... I used krylon fusion and it was dry enough to pick u p in half an hour.

It was rustoleum, I couldn't find Krylon. I did also use more than a whole can to try and get the look right, the thicker you put it on, the more the metal effect takes action. I did thin coats though as to not over do it and didn't like how it looked so I kept adding coats to try and make it look better :wacko:

I painted the piling with rustoleum forged hammered pewter spray paint, its supposed to give the appearance of textured metal but it didn't come out as well as the test did. Still looks alright though

up close

0B568438-DDF9-4E7C-B9B1-7C5620E0BB73_zps

I'm going to let it dry for two days and then put it in the tank to get it going!

I dunno color looks pretty cool to me

Dr.Brain Coral

I put the fish I collected and am planning on putting in this tank in a Spec II for the time being

707795BA-2B8A-43C5-B0F7-5FD089F7B168_zps

1126D813-6A41-41B9-9750-2649616C41E5_zps

314F35A8-DEFA-4E19-87CB-F29C7238889D_zps

Very cool. That fish in the bottom left is sweet looking

Hey everyone. Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while. Here's what I've been up to...

Found some mussel clusters and algae covered rocks in the bay one day and decided to put them in the Spec II that all of those little fish were in.

7D74A2BA-C3AF-473B-A202-ACE212389158_zps

It looked pretty cool, but the next day everything was dead :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

So I had to completely empty that tank and another that I placed this stuff in as well...not fun

I did however setup the main tank yesterday!! Heres some pics

C9E9EBB6-3D87-4968-966A-D9B2C101D32C_zps

Dry sand

76D0B737-5A22-4B60-84D7-F6421ADEE43E_zps

Filled! I know some of you have been wanting me to put a can or bottle in the tank and I just happened to find a cool little bottle while snorkeling yesterday that is encrusted in some kind of growth and I think it fits in pretty well

AB8CC672-AADE-4F61-8087-732D7F961CDA_zps

Little crab that hitchhiked on the eel grass that I found and planted

4D813075-6CA9-42ED-8159-EDB1F8A84C42_zps

More pics of the bottle

B8054D23-23D7-4B17-BCBF-F15B65030C58_zps

Archived