Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Algea in Plague like proportions

Balkos

Hi Everyone.

I have a serious algea problem. Many different kinds. Culurpa, Hair, lots of bubble, bryopsis. I have been reefkeeping for a long time but never a tank this small (28gal nano led). I know everyone is going to say what are your nitrates and your phosphates. I just spent $30 on a salifert test kit and both my tank and source water are showing 0. Same with Nitrates, Nitrites and Amonia. Is it really possible that the algea is using it as fast as it is being produced? I have heard this theory before and am not sure if it is true. I'll be honest i have not been doing frequent water changes but with levels at 0 does it make a difference? I thought water changes were mostly for nutrient export? I am using water i buy at Meijer. I test it and it is less than 8ppm. No nitrates and no phosphates. I use Reef Crystals salt. I run my lights 10 hours a day. I feed every other day. Always frozen brine. I run the ceramic rings and chem pure elite no sponges.

Please give me some recommendations my corals are being chocked out and it is never ending manually removing the algea and clogging up my powerheads.

Thanks!

The ceramic rings tend to be a massive nutrient sink, especially in nano systems. I'd recommend removing them in favor of some filter floss. At a glance, that would be a good start, although it is likely a combination of factors such as to much food/unstrained food.

10 hours is a long time to run led's I ran 6 hours with my kessil. Also where was your rock sourced? It is possible it is leaching phosphates and they are being used almost immediately by your algae and not showing in the water column when you test for it.

With the various amounts of algae in plague like proportions you are describing to fix it is going to come close to starting over imo if you want the issue 100% eradicated. Vodka dosing with a skimmer is a possibility but the caulerpa is potentially going to go asexual. Bryopsis is a plague aswell from what I understand about it even h2o2 dips dont even eradicate it.

Archived