Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chaeto shedding?

Gramarossa17

Gramarossa17

Hey guys, I recently picked up about a baseball sized piece of chaeto from the LFS to put in my Aquaclear 50 for my 20 gallon about 5 days ago. It had a little maroonish color on it, but now it is all gone and is green as could be. Problem is, is it seems to be giving off this whitish slime that is going all over my tank. Is this normal? I increased the flow to help to remove it all but it's everywhere.

Are you sure it was Chaetomorphy? I am not familiar with any subspecies of Chaeto that is not all green.

In any case, if it is oozing white slime, it has gone sexual. Use activated carbon and filter it out.

Patrick

Gramarossa17

It's chaeto all right. The maroon may have been a bit of cyano. The chaeto was in the display tank at the LFS. But it's all gone now. Also, if a few strands are sticking out if the water, is that a bad thing? The upwards current causes the ball of chaeto to stay suspended and the top portion rises above the water line.

Gramarossa17

Okay I think I have a hypothesis. About a month back, I had a bunch of Vermetide snails release their "junk" all over my tank, and this went on for a while. So what I'm thinking is maybe, since adding the chaeto, it sucked up the nutrients in the water thus causing all the Vermetide snails to release their netting to try and get food? My chaeto is really green with no white spots and seems to be growing, so I don't think it has to do with the chaeto itself.

Archived