Cultivated Reef

Calling clam gurus...clam didn't make it :(

FishyFishy11

Thanks all for your advise and support but I'm sad to report that the clam didn't make it :( It took a turn for the worse last night and by morning it was shrived inside it's shell. Everything else in the tank seems to be doing fine.

sorry it happened to you, hope you dont get too discouraged

FishyFishy11

that sucks but it happens :( I lost a gorgeous maxima myself that was gaping shortly after I got it and it started to recover and was looking pretty good then just died one day out of nowhere.. don't let it scare you away from clams though.. I just prefer to pick mine out in person..

sorry it happened to you, hope you dont get too discouraged

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sad he didn't make it... but I won't let it get to me. I think they add so much to a tank and I'll definitely have another go at it :)

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sad he didn't make it... but I won't let it get to me. I think they add so much to a tank and I'll definitely have another go at it :)

Trust me, it's not your fault. Healthy wild clams are hard to find. Try a PEA farmed clam. They should do far better.

Trust me, it's not your fault. Healthy wild clams are hard to find. Try a PEA farmed clam. They should do far better.

I intend to try again with a clam from them.

FishyFishy11

Thanks Zeph! I've got my eye on one of their Tahitian cultured maximas...

Thanks Zeph! I've got my eye on one of their Tahitian cultured maximas...

If your near the north east cultivated reef has great maximas and cheap shipping

My very favorite clam food, and all experts will agree with me, is fish poop. Feeding clams is so near to useless, I don't know a single authority that does so. Except for Metrokat. I do feed mine though, because my tanks carry very low nutrients and I have problems keeping certain species, but my honest opinion is it doesn't help much at all. Look at Tetra, that raised a tiny 1 inch maxima without feeding. An accomplishment some would consider impossible.

Has the maxima attached to anything?

Think fishpoop is a better food than carbon dosing?

YEP!!!!

How so? I am just curious. It seems that clams can potentially uptake carbon directly from the water along with the carbon dosing increasing the amount of bacteria and other organisms that clams can directly ingest. Is there anything more from fish poop the clam consumes besides ammonia?

In our small systems, I just don't like dosing much of anything. It is just one more thing that can mess things up.

Just my 2 pennies......

Archived