ReefCleaners.org

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

Excellent tank! I had a Tailspot before he jumped out of my tank :( they're amazing! So smart quirky... May I ask what temperature you plan on keeping your tank at? I keep mine at 76*F. Just wondering!

Thanks!

I try to keep my tank at 79-80.

I've never had a tank before so there's been a lot of trial and error trying to keep everything stable. I start to get nervous when it rises above 80 or lower than 77. It seems like every time I figure something out, the weather changes! The next tank(s) I have I am thinking about a controller that would turn a fan on when too hot or a heater on when too cold.

Something like this, I think. Still looking around...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weather been crazy lately. I took the heater out of the spec beginning of summer and may have to put it back tonight. It's a crappy heater. I set it to 71 and it usually brings the tank to 82. If I set it to 70, it just never turns on. Stupid heaters...

The weather been crazy lately. I took the heater out of the spec beginning of summer and may have to put it back tonight. It's a crappy heater. I set it to 71 and it usually brings the tank to 82. If I set it to 70, it just never turns on. Stupid heaters...

Sooooo annoying!

Middle of last week I had my A/C set to 75 and the fan blowing over my tank on 2 hours/off 2 hours to keep it at 79.

By Friday I had my A/C off, fan off, all chambers closed up, still worried about it dropping below 75...

Nice tank!

No matter how many times i set up a salt water reef tank, there's always more to learn. The learning actually never ends with this hobby.

I had a bad experience with mushrooms in my first tank. They multiplied so fast i couldnt keep up with them!

I love growing the Hammers, i had one that started off as a 2 head frag, within 6 months it had over 30 heads! It looked awesome!

I'll look through the pics in my computer when i get a chance and i'll post a couple pics.

When your corals take off your tank is going to be amazing! Actually, looks pretty awesome now.

Great job! :D

Dear people of the internet, my boyfriend and I are breaking up. If I had anyone to talk to, I wouldn't be posting here. Feeling pretty devastated...

Hey! Breakups are awful. My most recent ex broke up with me the day I got back from my grandfather's funeral. I was in Florida, 1,000 miles away. She was out partying at my friend's house the night of the actual funeral while I was still down there. As soon as I got back home from the airport, she already had her stuff packed up, and she took my perfect little kitten to her dad's place. We dated for 11 months.

Hope you find company in my misery!

But you'll find someone better. I know I did... At least I hope you do!

Hey! Breakups are awful. My most recent ex broke up with me the day I got back from my grandfather's funeral. I was in Florida, 1,000 miles away. She was out partying at my friend's house the night of the actual funeral while I was still down there. As soon as I got back home from the airport, she already had her stuff packed up, and she took my perfect little kitten to her dad's place. We dated for 11 months.

Hope you find company in my misery!

But you'll find someone better. I know I did... At least I hope you do!

[]

Thanks for the cute video.

The hard part is feeling like I've done something wrong when I know I haven't. I told him I wanted to spend more time with him outside of his apartment doing fun things (how could I??), and was met with hostility, defensiveness, and "this is how I am, I stay home, deal."

Feeling a bit better after a good cry though...

So sorry about your breakup :flower:

Just enjoy some time to yourself and know that there's someone else out there. My friend married the same guy twice trying to make it work, but it just wasn't right. She's now with a guy that she really loves and treats her right and is devoted to both of their kids. Things work out the way they are supposed to. :grouphug:

Hostility and defensiveness come from his inner guilt... He didn't break up with you on a whim, he's been contemplating it/feeling differently for some time, I think.

Your happiness is most important, and you should find someone who wants to be out with you in the world! Life is too short to be hidden away in an apartment. Anyone who would rather stay home rather than socialize (unless you have a family!) is not a happy person, in my opinion.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

In tank related news, I've now lost my source for ro/di water as he had been making it for me every week. Not sure if I can swing a ro/di unit for myself in the next week for a water change. Is all distilled water created equally? And what's the best value ro/di unit for my money?

Also lost the use of his test kits... Ugh.

My torch has not been looking well since the heat wave a over the weekend. It's beautiful and not like any I've ever seen so I hope it bounces back. Tips on feeding/extra care on that guy? I feed my fishes, sun coral, and plate spirulina brine. And though I try to squirt some towards my hammer and torch they never seem to eat... Or they are just super slow and I dont give them enough time...

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

In tank related news, I've now lost my source for ro/di water as he had been making it for me every week. Not sure if I can swing a ro/di unit for myself in the next week for a water change. Is all distilled water created equally? And what's the best value ro/di unit for my money?

I only use distilled. To answer your question, distilled is identical to RO/DI! It's just more costly, which isn't a problem for me, because my WC's are only 1-2 gallons at a time in my Spec V... But your 29 is much larger. :lol:

What do you test for regularly? You don't ever really need to test for PH, Ammonia, or Nitrite once the tank is cycled. I would just pick up a Nitrate test if I were you. If you keep up on WC's you should be fine with trace elements and Cal/Alk, assuming you use some kind of salt with these ingredients. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Keep an eye on your corals. They will tell you if your parameters aren't in order!

sorry to hear about your breakup. my dad said something really wise to my wife the other day when they were discussing what will happen if i die (yes, they are weird that way). my dad said "learn from your lost so whatever you find next will be better." He said it in chinese so it sounded more wise.

as for the tank, are you feeding with pumps off?

I only use distilled. To answer your question, distilled is identical to RO/DI! It's just more costly, which isn't a problem for me, because my WC's are only 1-2 gallons at a time in my Spec V... But your 29 is much larger. :lol:

What do you test for regularly? You don't ever really need to test for PH, Ammonia, or Nitrite once the tank is cycled. I would just pick up a Nitrate test if I were you. If you keep up on WC's you should be fine with trace elements and Cal/Alk, assuming you use some kind of salt with these ingredients. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

Keep an eye on your corals. They will tell you if your parameters aren't in order!

Great! I usually do a 4 gallon water change every 1-2 weeks and know that my cal/alk has been spot on the last few tests. My nitrates were high a few weeks back but had been coming down due to weekly water changes. I dont know the exact number, but its definitely below 10ppm.

I'll try to pick up a test kit tomorrow from PetCo/PetSmart to make sure all is well.

I did just do 4 gallons Thursday, so maybe I can hold off till the weekend.

sorry to hear about your breakup. my dad said something really wise to my wife the other day when they were discussing what will happen if i die (yes, they are weird that way). my dad said "learn from your lost so whatever you find next will be better." He said it in chinese so it sounded more wise.

as for the tank, are you feeding with pumps off?

Yes, pumps off. The moment they go off, the fishes come to the surface. If I dont start feeding right away they become uninterested, so I spend about a minute giving them shrimps via turkey baster drip by drip.

When they slow down, I go to the sun coral, plate, Herbie the Hermit if he's out and about, then as carefully as I can I put a shrimp or two by the hammer and torch.

back to the fishes for a few more shrimps until they let too many float around. Then I close the lid and walk away for 5-10 minutes before turning the pumps back on.

Distilled at Walmart is $ .83 a gallon.

Not any sort of ordeal for a Nano owner.

A refurbed Specrapure is like $150. How long can you get by on 150 gallons of water with your tank?

Half a year or something with agressive water changes.

Internet stranger here!

:grouphug: Hugs to you. I had many painful breakups before finding the right one. He will come along! Usually when you least expect it. This may not make it feel any better right now, but you will feel better soon. Before you know it!

Oh, and I use only distilled water with no problems. I did with my last (smaller) tank as well. I'm asking for an RO/DI for Christmas but only because I'm sick of dealing with the bottles required for a 30 gallon tank. Not because of any problem with the tank or water.

Thanks again everyone.

I feel a bit better today.

We talked and I told him what I was missing and needed from him. It's really up to him to make the change and put forth more effort. Trying not to get my hopes up, but we all know how that can be. It hurts when someone you love makes it seem you aren't worth a little time and effort.

I'll head out to Wal-Mart today to grab some distilled water. I have about 1/2 gallon of RO/DI that I've been using for top offs left before I'm completely out of water. Good thing it's right next to PetSmart so I can pick up a couple test kits too!

i love your tank! great start for being

a newbie! i didn't see those plate corals

until i went to pick out my two flower nems

last friday. i loved them! i don't have enough

tank space in the sand in my 8g to have one,

i don't think. unless i lost a rock.

anyway, your tank is looking fantastic!

i was considering possibly stubby clowns,

or gobies and someone had recommended

blennies as well for my little tank. now i'm loving

the fotos and stories of your blenny! hope to add

a fishie or two in october.

and sorry about the break up. it's pretty essentail

to be up front about what is lacking or what you

need in the relationship. because from being married

17 years, people don't change much as far as

personality usually. good luck and sending good mojo!

My torch is really not doing well. I figure it's due to the temperature spike over the weekend. It hasn't opened up much the past two days -looks a little stringy, and closed up into it's skeleton which it normally did at night, but now even when lights on it's not open like usual.

However, every time I check on it, my stupid hermit crab is sitting right on top. I knock him over and he finds his way back. Doesn't give my torch a chance to open and heal. Does this mean that it's totally dying? I have tried feeding it some spirulina brine, but it does't seem to eat (yes, pumps are off for about 10 minutes).

Should I move it to the sand? Would a water bottle cover (sorta greenhouse style but with holes to allow flow but no hermits) help or hurt?

This thing is beautiful. I feel awful that this could be my fault.

It looks very similar to the torch in this super old thread. Closed up. Not happy. Luckily, this poster says it was just irritated and opened up later. But mine is going on 3 days like this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/299339-torch-coral-fading-fast/

My torch is really not doing well. I figure it's due to the temperature spike over the weekend. It hasn't opened up much the past two days -looks a little stringy, and closed up into it's skeleton which it normally did at night, but now even when lights on it's not open like usual.

However, every time I check on it, my stupid hermit crab is sitting right on top. I knock him over and he finds his way back. Doesn't give my torch a chance to open and heal. Does this mean that it's totally dying? I have tried feeding it some spirulina brine, but it does't seem to eat (yes, pumps are off for about 10 minutes).

Should I move it to the sand? Would a water bottle cover (sorta greenhouse style but with holes to allow flow but no hermits) help or hurt?

This thing is beautiful. I feel awful that this could be my fault.

It looks very similar to the torch in this super old thread. Closed up. Not happy. Luckily, this poster says it was just irritated and opened up later. But mine is going on 3 days like this:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/299339-torch-coral-fading-fast/

How many heads does yours have, I have had a frogspawn decide one head needed to die and closed it up never to reopen the other 3 heads were happy as can be.

Torches, hammers, frogspawns, etc all go through periods where polyps dont extend. Mine from time to time will deflate its crazy to think how much tissue out during the day can all but disappear. What I've learned with these corals over the years is don't freak out, don't move em, don't blast em with water flow. Mine will retract at night, when they are splitting, when a fish swims by. So my best advice is check the flow, make sure there aren't any fish trying to host, and keep an eye on polyp colorl. If you check my tank thread at bottom I've got a couple of torches that close up from time to time but always pop back out.

You should come scroll thru the last few pages of my Spec V thread. My hammer used to be several inches in size - it became to small that all I could really see was the skeleton. No idea how it "shrinks" so much and goes in... (heh) I was concered so I dipped my hammer and then fragged it ... (one of the heads even randomly popped off one day...)

Having absolutely no idea what caused this - some suggested my water might just be too clean. Apparantly the softies like the water to be just a tad dirty. So, what did I do? I became purposefully lazy and literally haven't done a WC in 2+ weeks now. My hammer? It's started coming back out, it's showing some very slow progress in recovering and becoming happy again!

Your tank looks really awesome so far, best of luck getting your hammer happy!!

How many heads does yours have, I have had a frogspawn decide one head needed to die and closed it up never to reopen the other 3 heads were happy as can be.

It's just the one. Probably about as round as a quarter.

Torches, hammers, frogspawns, etc all go through periods where polyps dont extend. Mine from time to time will deflate its crazy to think how much tissue out during the day can all but disappear. What I've learned with these corals over the years is don't freak out, don't move em, don't blast em with water flow. Mine will retract at night, when they are splitting, when a fish swims by. So my best advice is check the flow, make sure there aren't any fish trying to host, and keep an eye on polyp colorl. If you check my tank thread at bottom I've got a couple of torches that close up from time to time but always pop back out.

That's helpful!

Is there anything else I can look for to know if it's really headed downhill? I know brown jelly is bad, and I haven't seen any of that. Do I need to worry about the hermit crab sitting on it?

Archived