Pod Your Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

It's just the one. Probably about as round as a quarter.

That's helpful!

Is there anything else I can look for to know if it's really headed downhill? I know brown jelly is bad, and I haven't seen any of that. Do I need to worry about the hermit crab sitting on it?

The hermit crab will only be picking at dead stuff so hopefully its not the torch itself. OHHH what filter media do you use, phosguard is a big cause of lps issues as it is aluminum based and lps hates aluminum.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should come scroll thru the last few pages of my Spec V thread. My hammer used to be several inches in size - it became to small that all I could really see was the skeleton. No idea how it "shrinks" so much and goes in... (heh) I was concered so I dipped my hammer and then fragged it ... (one of the heads even randomly popped off one day...)

Having absolutely no idea what caused this - some suggested my water might just be too clean. Apparantly the softies like the water to be just a tad dirty. So, what did I do? I became purposefully lazy and literally haven't done a WC in 2+ weeks now. My hammer? It's started coming back out, it's showing some very slow progress in recovering and becoming happy again!

Your tank looks really awesome so far, best of luck getting your hammer happy!!

I did see that you were lax on water changes lately. I'm glad you're hammer is doing better! I was doing 4 gallon water changes every week, so I would do one today, but I'm waiting a few more days based you your results...

The hermit crab will only be picking at dead stuff so hopefully its not the torch itself. OHHH what filter media do you use, phosguard is a big cause of lps issues as it is aluminum based and lps hates aluminum.

I've got an ugly sponge wedged between chambers 1 and 2 that I rinse out really well every week and run a skimmer. Been wanting to change the sponge out for filter floss...

It's just the one. Probably about as round as a quarter.

That's helpful!

Is there anything else I can look for to know if it's really headed downhill? I know brown jelly is bad, and I haven't seen any of that. Do I need to worry about the hermit crab sitting on it?

Nah hermit's probably no big deal unless you see him tearing it apart and eating it .. you'd be able to tell though by looking to see if he's eating it. I doubt he'd eat a hammer though haha! (Usually just algae stuff)...

Brown jelly yup, I think that's the biggest thing.. looks pretty good like it can come back, still very much alive.

Anything that touched the polyp will cause it to retract. Hermits can easily pierce the soft polyp just walking on it causing damage that would cause the coral to defensively retreat. Although you can't be on hermit guard duty 24/7 I would gently redirect them when you can.

Looks worse... Waaaay worse. But it's a living thing and I feel like I'm responsible for it so I'm going to wait a few days just to be sure.

If it really is dead, do I throw it in the trash? That's so sad...

If you have a good enough clean up crew they will probably take care of it for you. And if the other heads look good it is probably fine, just give it some heal time. Remember temperature is something that can put living things into shock quickly so the drastic temperature changes up and down could have messed with it a little.

The Hermit Crab Gang has struck.

I saw a few of my hermits messing around with a snail shell in the middle of my tank last night. I was all upset about my torch, so even though it seemed strange, I didn't think much of it.

Sure enough, this morning, one of my hermit crabs has a new home, and the other two were quite obviously chowing down on some escargot. Circle of life and what not, right?

I guess this is why many people will not have hermit crabs. I counted 10 empty shells on my sand bed without trying (so I'm sure there's more), but the hermit crab wanted one already occupied so he got some help from his buddies.

Time to update my livestock list...

Awwww. Yes circle of life. My snails reproduce like bunnies I always have snail eggs. I love watching my hermits and they do clean up everything. I'm contemplating an emerald crab right now, not sure if I'll do it or not

augh! this is why i'm hesitant to get any

stock at all that are considered aggressive.

my 8g is simply too small for that risk.

so sorry you're going through.

Yesterday my tank turned 2 months old!!

My torch is totally definitely dead - hermit were going to town on it's flesh when I got home from work last night. Sad day.

The hermit that took the killed/dead snail shell was back in his old home yesterday too. I'm glad my remaining 3 snails are way bigger than my hermits...

I "celebrated" the two month mark by doing a water change and a thorough cleaning. Pictures later today since I want all the dust to settle.

Hoping to get a few more corals this weekend!

which LFS you hitting up this weekend??

Just stopped by Aquatica in Tinley, not sure what else I will hit today or tomorrow. They didn't have anything small enough for my tastes...

Maybe Reefwise (they have an amazing selection of small stuff) or I'll get up to Old Orchard. I need more corals!!

Two month photo dump!!

Tank at 2 months:

15302341265_577c7fa3b2.jpg

IMG_4747 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Feather duster growing out of my zooanthid rock:

15008124138_b9b8ed6238.jpg

IMG_4575 by kimothy182, on Flickr

My favorite adorable hermit crab:

15194323202_d3f47ee69d.jpg

IMG_4578 by kimothy182, on Flickr

The Three Amigos:

15302332965_9a6d888de3.jpg

IMG_4722 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Squiggy in front, Lenny in back:

15301963812_f74d364df6.jpg

IMG_4728 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Tailspot that still doesn't have a name :( :

15279287566_88481ba518.jpg

IMG_4731 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Finger leather is starting to get awesome color:

15299198591_8a2ee3fe31.jpg

IMG_4748 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Dark red hermit... He has moved homes at least 6 times in the last two days. Kind of feel bad that he can't find anywhere to be "comfortable":

15302345645_9299db3218.jpg

IMG_4755 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Came home with corals today!!

Spent more than I should have... but that's becoming normal.

Trumpet (3 head) $11

Ricordea (5 on a rock) $46

Frogspawn (1 head) $21

I really think I got a great deal though and everything looks really healthy! Pictures tomorrow when everything is (hopefully) open and happy!

New corals! Everything is open and seems happy so far... fingerscrossed My pictures just aren't coming out the best, color-wise. I need to learn how to take better pictures!!

Ricordea last night under blue lights just after acclimation... glows like crazy!

15140144637_32572ff52b.jpg

IMG_4792 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And today, much more open! Yess!

15303646466_a44e84d6f8.jpg

IMG_4802 by kimothy182, on Flickr

15140093328_e56369bf93.jpg

IMG_4801 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Trumpet glows tooooo!!

15139975300_b5ac2dc63d.jpg

IMG_4791 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Not pictured is the feather duster that's attached near the base, I love feather dusters!

15326369162_4d1f3723cd.jpg

IMG_4800 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Green with purple tips frogspawn :wub:

15326371982_13d5e796ef.jpg

IMG_4790 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I dunno why it looks so poo-brown in this picture. Boo.

15139938129_02a2844f85.jpg

IMG_4787 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Archived