Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're thread has just convinced me to get a tailspot blenny, it is so cute!

Tank looks great :)

He is adorable. Great eater. Learned to dive for the food just like my clowns!

Mr. Microscope

The bad: My sinularia decided to flop over yesterday for what seems like no reason. He usually shrinks up and flops over at night when the lights are out, but has NEVER done so during the day. I reached in thinking that maybe it had gotten wedged between itself and the glass, but no. Felt normal, firm and slimy, so hopefully it just decided to take a mid-day nap. Herbie did molt within the past few days and has decided to keep hiding. He got himself wedged between two loose rocks for two days (that's what I get for not epoxying them together) so I nudged him free.

Leathers will do that on occasion. Probably not to worry.

How strongly was your crab wedged in there? Sometimes they will purposely wedge themselves in a rock to recover from a molt. They're pretty strong though, and can usually get themselves out.

Leathers will do that on occasion. Probably not to worry.

How strongly was your crab wedged in there? Sometimes they will purposely wedge themselves in a rock to recover from a molt. They're pretty strong though, and can usually get themselves out.

Strange that hermits would do that... he was under a very heavy 5lb+ rock. It's kind of U shaped, and it's upside down leaning on the back wall (if that makes any sense). I moved him over only a little, because I know for a fact he molted and figured he might be tired, or weak. I wanted to make sure the rock was still secure, and wouldn't tip and crush him somehow.

You should totally do a 40B! They are the perfect size, I swear. I've got an empty one in my basement that I've been waiting to setup. The girlfriend and I will be building it together. She isn't into marine aquariums at all, but she wants to help pick stuff out and design the rock work and such. Should be fun.

Also you can nab a 40B at Petco during the famous 1$ per gallon sale. You would then have lots of money to spend on nice equipment and inhabitants!

You should totally do a 40B! They are the perfect size, I swear. I've got an empty one in my basement that I've been waiting to setup. The girlfriend and I will be building it together. She isn't into marine aquariums at all, but she wants to help pick stuff out and design the rock work and such. Should be fun.

Also you can nab a 40B at Petco during the famous 1$ per gallon sale. You would then have lots of money to spend on nice equipment and inhabitants!

In another year or so, I'll upgrade my BioCube to something around 40-50 gallons.

Not quite ready for that!

Had a rough day.

I was given a project at work this morning to finish ASAP while trying to help with end of month stuff that I started but didn't finish yesterday. Meanwhile, I'm trying to make sure the new IT person doesn't fail miserably like the last contract guy did. And there's construction work on our floor that is NOT supposed to take place between 8-5 so the President of the company is NOT HAPPY!

Get home and forgot I had no fish food, so I had to run and get whatever from Petco. Then I picked up RO/DI from my BF for the water change that I NEED to do tomorrow... But I take a corner a little too fast on my way home and about 2 of the 5 gallons spilled out onto the passenger floor cause the jug got knocked on it's side. :tears:

Bad, bad mood right now.

On the bright side... My sinularia perked up, Herbie is finally out of hiding, and everything is looking happy, just a little dingy cause it's water change time.

I found it pretty amusing when I first saw my trochus' doing this. Had a wtf moment for a bit but then realized what was going on lol.

It was really neat to see. I have a video of my urchin spawning from a few weeks ago. Feels a little pervy watching my captive animals spawn...

Tanks looking great- sorry about the water spilling- always dreading that I really like the tail spot Blenny- does he pick at algae around the tank? What are you feeding him?

Tanks looking great- sorry about the water spilling- always dreading that I really like the tail spot Blenny- does he pick at algae around the tank? What are you feeding him?

Thanks!!

My blenny picks at the rocks every once in a while, but I really don't have much algae except what settles on the glass. He eats with my clownfish - frozen spirulina brine. I got frozen mysis when I ran out of food the other day, but it seems like it's too big for everyone. Luckily I also picked up some sort of meaty/green frozen thing that has mysis, brine, and spirulia, so I'll be trying that tonight!

I don't think I can get any more algae eaters. My hermits and crabs do too good of a job with algae... :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

My blenny picks at the rocks every once in a while, but I really don't have much algae except what settles on the glass. He eats with my clownfish - frozen spirulina brine. I got frozen mysis when I ran out of food the other day, but it seems like it's too big for everyone. Luckily I also picked up some sort of meaty/green frozen thing that has mysis, brine, and spirulia, so I'll be trying that tonight!

I don't think I can get any more algae eaters. My hermits and crabs do too good of a job with algae... :rolleyes:

I've been wanting a blenny for some time- good comic relief luv their personality. Good to know he'll eat some meaty foods- live aquaria list him as a herbivore - I too have very little algae so I am worried I'd have supply him with an algae diet separate from my clowns..........maybe their truly an omnivore??

I've been wanting a blenny for some time- good comic relief luv their personality. Good to know he'll eat some meaty foods- live aquaria list him as a herbivore - I too have very little algae so I am worried I'd have supply him with an algae diet separate from my clowns..........maybe their truly an omnivore??

Mine definitely doesn't mind eating meat! Might help that it's got spirulina in it. You should go for it! Though I did get mine from a LFS that fed him for me before I bought him.

Mine definitely doesn't mind eating meat! Might help that it's got spirulina in it. You should go for it! Though I did get mine from a LFS that fed him for me before I bought him.

Ya, I've just been reading some other threads that say they eat everything- sounds like my kinda fish☺️ I'll keep my eye out for one at my lfs.

I took some time the other night to clean up the clear cover (splash cover?) over my LEDs. Who know's when or if it was ever cleaned. I didn't have vinegar on hand when I got it set up.

You can see it's really spotty and gross:

15484882210_c2f9594cb6.jpg

IMG_5153 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I was worried about dropping screws in the tank, so I just left the cover on to clean it. I opened the lid, and put a piece of wood and some towels over the tank to protect from any spills (just in case). I dipped some paper towels in 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water and stuck it up against the cover:

15049713554_0788fc1387.jpg

IMG_5154 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I let it sit for about 10 minutes and them wiped off. I then wiped the cover off about 4 times with a damp cloth to make sure there was no vinegar residue. I think it looks MUCH better!

15646724956_34e9f3ee8f.jpg

IMG_5156 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I've priced out two tanks.

One is a second tank - IM Fusion 20. The other is an upgrade - IM Fusion 40.

In the end, they pretty much come out to be the same cost. Simply because I have a very old, extremely sturdy, solid desk that I could use for a stand if I get the 40.

But really, I should just get both ideas out of my head because it's very likely I will be moving in March or April...

The Good:

Everyone's happy, everything's growing. I noticed a pod population explosion over the past few days. They are all up on my glass at night, it's pretty cool to see.

The Meh:

Pinky (my nem) is on the move the past few days. She nestled up close between two rocks, and last night decided that behind some rocks was a better spot.

The Bad:

One of the departments at work has been outsourced. :scarry: While my job is safe, that was the department I helped out every month end for some sweet over time.

The Future:

Decided on a (pair??) firefish that I will get sometime later this month or in December. As long as the pods keep up I'll add a mandarin/dragonet around February.

Archived