Cultivated Reef

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some things to note:

Saw what I'm pretty sure was a bristle worm last night. Very skinny, and sticking out about an inch from the rocks. Gross.

I've also noticed what seems to be an "underwater millipede" looking thing. Comes out of the rock about 1/4 inch. Looks segmented and reddish/brown with tan stripes (that's what makes it look segmented). I usually see it at night, but once I hit it with the flashlight, it goes back into the rock.

One of my hermit crabs decided to try out a mansion sometime today. Then he was stuck and couldn't move. Luckily I came to the rescue and put a smaller shell in the doorway for him. A few seconds later and he was scurrying off with a more appropriate sized home.

My clowns are getting bigger and I can DEFINITELY tell who is the female now. They swam around a bunch this evening while I was eating dinner in front of the tank.

May I ask what type of Camera you are using? The picture is so clear and wonderful.

Flo

Thanks!!

Most are taken with a Cannon T4i, kit (18-55mm) or macro (100mm) lenses.

Some are with my Nokia Lumia 1020 (the one with a 40mp camera).

I do absolutely no editing of my pics. Too lazy...

I've been kinda hating on my poor tank the past few weeks. I know I'm being hard on myself, and it's decent for a noob/first reef. I still feel like I could do better. I still keep thinking of that "next" thing I can do, even when I have to wait for the tank to settle or to replenish my tank fund.

My desk job does not require much thinking power, so I spend a lot of time thinking and planning. It really has become a new obsession. BF has been very helpful, but he's just not into the planning and looking ahead part. Most of the time he's telling me to calm down and take it slow... but I want to talk about what's next, what can I change, improve, try even if it doesn't happen for months, and even if those plans change 50 times between now and then.

Just feeling bummed I guess. If only I had unlimited space, time, and money...

Mr. Microscope

I've been kinda hating on my poor tank the past few weeks. I know I'm being hard on myself, and it's decent for a noob/first reef. I still feel like I could do better. I still keep thinking of that "next" thing I can do, even when I have to wait for the tank to settle or to replenish my tank fund.

My desk job does not require much thinking power, so I spend a lot of time thinking and planning. It really has become a new obsession. BF has been very helpful, but he's just not into the planning and looking ahead part. Most of the time he's telling me to calm down and take it slow... but I want to talk about what's next, what can I change, improve, try even if it doesn't happen for months, and even if those plans change 50 times between now and then.

I feel your pain Kimber. I spend a good portion of my days dreaming up new ideas for upgrads, poking around some vendor's website, reading reefbuilders/advanceaquarist, or checking out new threads here on N-R. Google Sketchup is another one I've used a lot for hammering out tank and LED designs.

There's so many aspects in this hobby to explore from biology to water chemistry to photography to every DIY project. It's an endless journey. The ultimate hobby really. It's easy to look at what you don't have and get ennui about your tank.

I've been kinda hating on my poor tank the past few weeks.

I have many of the same feelings but for me I can pinpoint it to the BioCube. It made so much sense to buy the tank. It met all the basic parameters but then I read others thread's with custom tanks or retrofit tanks with sumps and it left me wanting more. So I took a leap and ordered a custom tank after only 10 weeks. I am essentially throwing away $200 for the BC and $300 for the LED retrofit but I couldn't get a bigger, brighter tank out of my mind. Pushing buy on the custom took that away and now I have a passion for making the larger tank something that I really want.

what dont you like about the tank? it looks great with all the new addictions!

and you can always talk about plans here =P. i daydream about my next tank too...haha.

Did you say "addictions" instead of "additions" on purpose?? ;)

I feel your pain Kimber. I spend a good portion of my days dreaming up new ideas for upgrads, poking around some vendor's website, reading reefbuilders/advanceaquarist, or checking out new threads here on N-R. Google Sketchup is another one I've used a lot for hammering out tank and LED designs.

There's so many aspects in this hobby to explore from biology to water chemistry to photography to every DIY project. It's an endless journey. The ultimate hobby really. It's easy to look at what you don't have and get ennui about your tank.

I've sorted out tank plans for 3 different ideas I have. Picked every little thing out. Created a budget/cost sheet in Excel. Linked to websites for every item. I love lists. It's what I do.

I have many of the same feelings but for me I can pinpoint it to the BioCube. It made so much sense to buy the tank. It met all the basic parameters but then I read others thread's with custom tanks or retrofit tanks with sumps and it left me wanting more. So I took a leap and ordered a custom tank after only 10 weeks. I am essentially throwing away $200 for the BC and $300 for the LED retrofit but I couldn't get a bigger, brighter tank out of my mind. Pushing buy on the custom took that away and now I have a passion for making the larger tank something that I really want.

That's exactly what I did. BioCube was easy and used so the price was right for a hobby I wasn't sure I would be into. I hate the scratches that it had from previous owners and I loathe the curved glass. Good new is that, yes, I am waaaaaay into it.

If I wasn't renting, I would have a second tank already. If I could process my tax return now, I would upgrade my BioCube ASAP. As it stands, my lease is up in 6 months, so I'll be making the decision to renew or move at the beginning of the year. I really have to wait until then before I can decide what I want to do new-tank-wise.

I have found that these feelings tend to come and go. At least, that is the way it was with me. When I had my Nuvo 8 running, I was constantly unhappy and wanting to change it to something different. I felt like I rushed into it and could have set things up much differently and better. Now, after upgrading to the 34, I look back at the nuvo and realize it was actually an awesome set up. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my 34 and am MUCH happier as I really took my time with it and made it 100% the way I wanted it. But, I sometimes look back at the pictures of my Nuvo and wish that I would have enjoyed and appreciated it more instead of always wanting something bigger and better. Just some food for thought...

FWIW - I think your tank is looking GREAT! Keep up the good work!

This is exactly how I feel about my own. It doesn't help when some of the member's tanks are absolutely perfect. We will get there one day!

Mr. Microscope

I've sorted out tank plans for 3 different ideas I have. Picked every little thing out. Created a budget/cost sheet in Excel. Linked to websites for every item. I love lists. It's what I do.

Haha! Awesome! I just did that earlier this week for my uncle. He wants to start a tank early next year.

What are your three plans?

Haha! Awesome! I just did that earlier this week for my uncle. He wants to start a tank early next year.

What are your three plans?

Oh man, lets start with least-likely and work our way to most-likely to happen:

"Budget" mantis tank that would just be a standard 10gal with an AC filter. Rocks, macro algae, and snails for the mantis to hunt and "play" with. Budget for this one was around $300.

I want to upgrade my BioCube to an AIO somewhere around 45 gallons. Mainly because I want a wrasse. I would have sections for different corals - SPS tower, euphyllia forest, mushroom wall, acan garden - something like that. Budget for this one (without stand or lights, I just didn't get that far) is around $1,000. I would get everything new and not reuse anything from my BioCube. BF has expressed interest that he wants the BC when I get tired of it. He has helped pay for a lot with his discount at work so I would just give it to him. Cause I'm a wonderful GF.

What I'm REALLY hoping to do with my tax return next spring (as well as a few Amazon gift cards I'm hoarding) is a custom PicO AIO that would be about 14x14x12. It would be baller - NanoBox light, PicO skimmer, nice cabinet stand. This would be mostly for RFA's, a ricordea garden, and gorgonians, trying to think of what else I can to do give it height/dimension - I don't want the RFA's and rics to make it look all flat. Haven't decided what kind of fish, since I don't want it to become a snack. Budget for this is about $850, and I should be able to get gift cards of at least $250.

Mr. Microscope

Oh man, lets start with least-likely and work our way to most-likely to happen:

"Budget" mantis tank that would just be a standard 10gal with an AC filter. Rocks, macro algae, and snails for the mantis to hunt and "play" with. Budget for this one was around $300.

I want to upgrade my BioCube to an AIO somewhere around 45 gallons. Mainly because I want a wrasse. I would have sections for different corals - SPS tower, euphyllia forest, mushroom wall, acan garden - something like that. Budget for this one (without stand or lights, I just didn't get that far) is around $1,000. I would get everything new and not reuse anything from my BioCube. BF has expressed interest that he wants the BC when I get tired of it. He has helped pay for a lot with his discount at work so I would just give it to him. Cause I'm a wonderful GF.

What I'm REALLY hoping to do with my tax return next spring (as well as a few Amazon gift cards I'm hoarding) is a custom PicO AIO that would be about 14x14x12. It would be baller - NanoBox light, PicO skimmer, nice cabinet stand. This would be mostly for RFA's, a ricordea garden, and gorgonians, trying to think of what else I can to do give it height/dimension - I don't want the RFA's and rics to make it look all flat. Haven't decided what kind of fish, since I don't want it to become a snack. Budget for this is about $850, and I should be able to get gift cards of at least $250.

Nice plans!

I've been thinking for a few years about building a huge drop-off style tank (about 120 gallons) with sump, built in frag tank, etc. and perhaps will do that in years to come. A more likely upgrade to happen next would be somewhere in the lines of 60 gallons (with sump) 24 x 36 x 15ish. Though, I've also put a lot of thought into a dedicated mandarin biotope set-up with tons of macros and maybe even pest nems.

With your PicO-AIO, a flat look with nems and ric would look awesome especially if they really carpet the rocks. Your idea of gorgs will give it plenty of vertical appeal. Though, keep in mind that you'll be dealing with less water and you might run out of room pretty fast as you're currently used to handling about 30 gallons.

I did a hermit check today.

Herbie was nowhere to be found.

Hopefully he's in a quiet place molting... :unsure:

This is most likely the case. It probably already molted and is healing up somewhere. When I had my hermits, sometimes one would go missing a several days and then pop back up again during its molt.

Nice plans!

I've been thinking for a few years about building a huge drop-off style tank (about 120 gallons) with sump, built in frag tank, etc. and perhaps will do that in years to come. A more likely upgrade to happen next would be somewhere in the lines of 60 gallons (with sump) 24 x 36 x 15ish. Though, I've also put a lot of thought into a dedicated mandarin biotope set-up with tons of macros and maybe even pest nems.

With your PicO-AIO, a flat look with nems and ric would look awesome especially if they really carpet the rocks. Your idea of gorgs will give it plenty of vertical appeal. Though, keep in mind that you'll be dealing with less water and you might run out of room pretty fast as you're currently used to handling about 30 gallons.This is most likely the case. It probably already molted and is healing up somewhere. When I had my hermits, sometimes one would go missing a several days and then pop back up again during its molt.

Oh! A drop off sounds cool, but way complicated for my tastes! I like my AIO!!

If you imagine The PicO as basically a square. I would make two rock islands - front right, back left - for the rics and RFA's. Gorgs behind the rock that's more forward, and maybe something like a plate, or brain in front of the rock that's to the back. I like symmetry... I also like making models, so probably sometime in the next few weeks I'll chop up a large cardboard box and draw it out. Probably even make cardboard "corals" to make sure my placement is right.

I'm pretty sure it will happen. it's just a matter of when depending on the timing of if/when I move.

Actually, I had pulled up my spreadsheet earlier at work and starting looking at a few more things. Well, I lost track of time at the end of the day, and had to rush out to make my train home!!

PICTURE STORY TIME!

I was really worried when I noticed these moving "styrofoam ball" looking things. Finally got a good macro pic and they are cute baby snails! Aww...

15612659686_0511fc0755.jpg

IMG_5054 by kimothy182, on Flickr

All three of my fishes in one pic! They spend about 80% of their time together. I think it's getting to be pretty obvious which clown is male/female. They are getting bigger!

15612680596_990754fdc6.jpg

IMG_5064 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Beautiful! But always looks grumpy... :angry:

15633727351_04d04baec6.jpg

IMG_5109 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I think I should re-name Timido to Alan. I feel like he's the odd one out and always imagine him happily singing, "We're the three best friends that anyone could have!" while hanging out with my clowns.

15449752879_002cdde911.jpg

IMG_5104 by kimothy182, on Flickr

He's kind of a dork, but a cutie!

15016207323_d6753df52f.jpg

IMG_5106 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I was thinking of adding a mandarin for my tanks six-month-iversary so I went on a pod hunt and found these:

15450811380_3bb7d98a46.jpg

IMG_5070 by kimothy182, on Flickr

and these:

15450257418_9ca65b800a.jpg

IMG_5074 by kimothy182, on Flickr

My sun coral is growing a 4th head!! SO EXCITE!!

15450268428_bd73fe840a.jpg

IMG_5088 by kimothy182, on Flickr

These two are getting bigger/puffier. Hopefully they will snuggle and not start a war.

15449748109_f9143ba820.jpg

IMG_5107 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And my hydnophora just. won't. die. I felt really bad when it started shrinking, but now I want to use the piece of rock it's on for something else... I'm a bad coral mom...

15633713631_e7734aa846.jpg

IMG_5108 by kimothy182, on Flickr

The torch I picked up last weekend is doing AMAZING! It's always huge and wavy, and the flesh at the base has puffed up and grown out a lot! It even grabs food when I feed the tank!

15633719811_6b1f8ddfbd.jpg

IMG_5114 by kimothy182, on Flickr

This is my awkward hammer. It's on a really skinny stalk, that is carefully wedged into a pea-sized hole. I have no where else to put it, and it's not really happy where it is. I really need a piece of rubble, or I could just make one of my ugly epoxy plugs to stick it on.

15450801610_228e1148b2.jpg

IMG_5117 by kimothy182, on Flickr

This is awkward hammer's brother. He's much happier. I need to move them together somehow...

15449745399_6013fe940f.jpg

IMG_5119 by kimothy182, on Flickr

And just for fun... PIPEFISH!

15450261948_fd1d222241.jpg

IMG_5067 by kimothy182, on Flickr

Not pictured:

Two of my four xenia bits moved off of the frag plugs I made. I guess super glue isn't that super! but they have attached to the rocks near where I placed them, so it's all good!!

looking fantastic kimber!!

love your fishie fotos! i think my rainford

is continuning to not find enough to eat. :(

very frustrating. not sure if YCG is eating either.

i see him take food in and spit out alot.

aiiiiii

looking fantastic kimber!!

love your fishie fotos! i think my rainford

is continuning to not find enough to eat. :(

very frustrating. not sure if YCG is eating either.

i see him take food in and spit out alot.

aiiiiii

Ugh, that is frustrating. I hope he gets hungry and starts eating for you soon!!

Very nice cube, Kimber. Do you still run the Ecoxotics? How are you liking those? I've got a BC29 as well, but I just took it down to clean and retrofit (drilling it and adding a sump :D)

Yes, I do still have the panorama pros. I do like them, except that I have the smaller ones that can't be put on a ramp timer.

I only have white and blue LEDS. I'm doing some research into other light options for my next tank and see a lot of other colors available in LED fixtures. I wonder now, what these different colors do, what's the pros, cons, and if I'm missing anything by only having two colors...

The good: Last night my fish were swimming around the WHOLE tank when I got home. Probably just because they were hungry. But at least they were out!

The bad: My sinularia decided to flop over yesterday for what seems like no reason. He usually shrinks up and flops over at night when the lights are out, but has NEVER done so during the day. I reached in thinking that maybe it had gotten wedged between itself and the glass, but no. Felt normal, firm and slimy, so hopefully it just decided to take a mid-day nap. Herbie did molt within the past few days and has decided to keep hiding. He got himself wedged between two loose rocks for two days (that's what I get for not epoxying them together) so I nudged him free.

In other news, I spent the past few days researching LED lights and pricing out my next tank (for the third time). I've gone from a 5g PicO to a custom 10g PicO to an IM Fusion 20. Without going into too much detail, I priced every thing (tank, stand, lights, rocks, sand, power strips, custom caddy, upgraded pump, wavemaker, mag-float, thermometer, heater, skimmer, and ATO) and my current total is at about $1600. Even though literally half of that is for lights and a nice stand, it still seems high.

Decided that my tax return will fund a large portion of this project, which will give me incentive to do my taxes early this year. The planning and research phase will last until January 1. Then I'll work on gathering the funding. I'll make the decision to renew my current lease or move by January 30th. If I renew, I can start ordering my supplies and set up the tank right away. If I move, I'll wait until after April 1 to start.

Archived