SaltCritters.com

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

I named him Jonas. :wub:

He seems to be happy and cruising around. Picking pods off the rocks like a good little guy. Definitely not interested in frozen, so I'll just make sure I buy extra pods every once in a while.

Don't give up on frozen and pellets though. He's new, he may even have been eating frozen but has chosen to forget as he is stressed. Anything is possible. Alo live BBs or live brine, live black worms.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't give up on frozen and pellets though. He's new, he may even have been eating frozen but has chosen to forget as he is stressed. Anything is possible. Alo live BBs or live brine, live black worms.

He was super mellow at the store - the owner kept poking at him trying to see his dorsal fin so we could be sure if he was a he or a she. He had enough by the time I got home and started flipping out in the bag. I did a quicker acclimation because I could see he was very irritated.

Worst case scenario, I replenish pods for him. Best case scenario, he'll take to other prepared foods. I'll be on the lookout for other food sources for him. He's super adorbs! :wub:

I am really getting pissed off with my hermits.

The two chill, mellow ones that came with my tank are now dead. I haven't seen them in weeks so I'm pretty sure they are not just hiding and molting. All I have left are about 8 spastic blue-legged hermits that pull food out of all my corals mouths. This is why my RFA is gonna kick the bucket. I try to feed my tank and "distract" the hermits with food at the front while I try to get some food to my slowly shrinking RFA. Then a hermit pops up out of nowhere and has dinner out of my RFA's face.

When I need to beef up my CUC and get one for tank #2 I'll be going snail only.

I just hope my RFA can outlive these little food thieves. :angry:

Don't listen to the haters!! Hermit love power!!

The secret to keeping them off your corals/anemones is to do two feedings. First put some food for the hermits some place away from the corals. Then while the hermits are busy, feed the corals. Easy peasy.

The tank is looking awesome! Love the new fish. I saw one just like him at the LFS yesterday. The boys really wanted me to get him, but I'm still not certain I want to put fish in my tank, and certainly didn't know enough about this kind to make and impulse buy. So, instead I got new snails and mushrooms! The kids weren't too excited, but so it goes. What I really want now are some sexy shrimp. Just have to find somewhere to buy them in town.

The tank is looking awesome! Love the new fish. I saw one just like him at the LFS yesterday. The boys really wanted me to get him, but I'm still not certain I want to put fish in my tank, and certainly didn't know enough about this kind to make and impulse buy. So, instead I got new snails and mushrooms! The kids weren't too excited, but so it goes. What I really want now are some sexy shrimp. Just have to find somewhere to buy them in town.

I know the feeling.

Went to the LFS for snails, and my daughter first begged for a foxface. Then for a flame angel. I finally caved 3 fish later when she picked out pajama cards. I wanted to wait for sand and get a goby, but it wasn't meant to be.

Congrats on the new addition :happydance:. My Bogart is a pretty picky mandarin but so far he's survived with nutramar ova

when it was available, and now frozen cyclops. The cyclops can still be found, so if you want to, give that a try :).

Congrats on the new addition :happydance:. My Bogart is a pretty picky mandarin but so far he's survived with nutramar ova

when it was available, and now frozen cyclops. The cyclops can still be found, so if you want to, give that a try :).

Where do you get it? Online or at a store? I think I'll give it a try.

You can usually find the San Francisco Bay brand of Cyclops at any pet store. I think it's less crude protein than the trademarked Cyclopeeze, though I'm not sure fish foods are held to strict standards on determining nutrient breakdowns.

Sk8n Reefer

Awesome addition! Let em eat pods...? - sorry just had to say that! My Ruby Red was a strict pod eater but I think he noticed the multiple daily feedings and took a liking to small pellets. I started feeding in the same area and he started to notice. Now I feed him from my ORA purple plate- it collects the pellets - it's his dinner plate ?I would just say keep your feeding habits the same and eventually it will be noticed. I've tried to spot feed em but he would always swim away. I've been adding a fairly large amount of pods every few weeks also but I've watched him take pellets and even a flake now and again. That's just my two cents worth and the "luck" I've had getting acceptance. Good luck?

Ehhhh, don't think so. Hoping it is just a molt? :unsure:

Lights were off and I was running late for work. Here's hoping... I wish I knew how "solid" a cleaner shrimp molt looked.

Sk8n Reefer

Lights were off and I was running late for work. Here's hoping... I wish I knew how "solid" a cleaner shrimp molt looked.

It a complete replica but transparent for the most part.

It a complete replica but transparent for the most part.

He's the blood red kind so very dark red normally, and what I saw today was very dark, too. He ate last night, acted normal, and I've not even had him two weeks.

Here's hoping I have a "special" guy that is a back sleeper.

Sk8n Reefer

He's the blood red kind so very dark red normally, and what I saw today was very dark, too. He ate last night, acted normal, and I've not even had him two weeks.

Here's hoping I have a "special" guy that is a back sleeper.

Ahh, I was thinking more cleaner shrimp. I can tell when he's about ready to molt- he won't eat that evening. Come morning there's a molt ?

Ahh, I was thinking more cleaner shrimp. I can tell when he's about ready to molt- he won't eat that evening. Come morning there's a molt

Since I've had him such a short time, he doesn't yet come out much. Everything else is doing really well, so hopefully it's a molt and he found a good hidey hole to heal up in.

Just not what I wanted to wake up to at 5:30 this morning!

I wouldn't be worried too much. Mine usually molts about every 2 weeks, so if you have had yours that long then it is possible it is just a molt. And sometimes mine's molt is not even very translucent. My wife has had a couple times where she thought it was the actual shrimp and freaked out because it was laying on its side or stuck to the side of my RW-4. I bet you will get home and find your shrimp happy and alive.

Do cleaner shrimps like to sleep on their backs? :unsure:

This made me laugh LOL. I bet it's just a molt though. I've been fooled sooooo many times :).

Well, when I got home the body/molt was pretty much gone. The hermits were going to town on what was left in a rock crevice I could barely see into. It looked kind of meaty to me, but who knows. No sign of Valentino hiding in any visible rock holes, and my tank really isn't that big. Fairly sure he's a goner.

I'm more mad about this loss than sad like I was for my blenny. I think it's cause I was at least able to find Alan as a whole body, so at least I see that he died, though in a mysterious way. With Valentino it's kind of like "WTF, dude, why'd you just die and disappear?!? WTF, hermits, why you gotta be so violent and eat a dead body?!?" (even though hermits are meant to clean up)

Water change tonight and I have my test kits now so I'm glad that I don't have to carry water samples around anymore!

Archived