Coral Vue Hydros

Kimberbee's First Tank - RETIRED!

kimberbee

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These funky snails with the soft-ish flat shells are good right??

18081831852_0da22522a6.jpgWP_20150524_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I took my GSP rock to the LFS for trade. They took my rock and I got the equivalent weight in their live rock. This dude was in the bottom of my bucket when I got home. VERY fast and very cute. Hopefully he's a good guy!

These funky snails with the soft-ish flat shells are good right??

18081831852_0da22522a6.jpgWP_20150524_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I took my GSP rock to the LFS for trade. They took my rock and I got the equivalent weight in their live rock. This dude was in the bottom of my bucket when I got home. VERY fast and very cute. Hopefully he's a good guy!

Love those snails. Stomatella snails. Great additions!

Love those snails. Stomatella snails. Great additions!

It's super cute! I love his beady little eyes!!

One of my huge trochus snails bit the dust over the weekend. It was easily as big as a quarter. Good thing that ReefCleaners order came in!

Sorry about your trochus but you will love the reefcleaners package :)

Stomatellas are great. I had a nice big one in my 4g tank that inexplicably died about a month ago. All the was left was his little shell, which turned to have a beautiful pearl coating on the inside.

I agree with Kat - your coloration is probably due to nutrient problems, too much or too little or just not the right kind. As an example, I have a frag of my bright green monti cap in my frag tank now. After a month under plenty of light, it's turned into a very pale ugly green. I don't really feed my frag tank much and I keep the nutrients very low, and I'm pretty sure that's why.

I still have free Xenia for anyone who wants to come pickup in the Chicago area.

My plate has started receding on one edge and I'm not sure why.

17537772834_05486dd5bd.jpgWP_20150526_001 by kimothy182, on Flickr

This acan has been receding for weeks and after the water change tonight, i'll be moving it to my fusion so I can target feed it without hermits coming to steal it's food.

17974308209_1b5592e22b.jpgWP_20150526_002 by kimothy182, on Flickr

I'm wondering about a re-start to this tank at one year. Taking everything out, replacing the sand (who knows how old it is), rearranging the rocks, and putting it all back. Thoughts?

And I'm in the market for xenia too! Oh well :).

I've heard it doesn't ship well, otherwise it would be yours!!

I've heard it doesn't ship well, otherwise it would be yours!!

It doesn't. Luckily it's easy to find at the LFS :).

I spent 3 hours on my tanks today, and most of it was in the biocube.

I moved a receding acan, setosa, and xenia over to the fusion. Cut off more xenia so I'll have 3 bunches to give away. There's still enough for 2-3 more, but I didn't want to cut it all at once.

Two more of my mushrooms bailed from their rock. I'm not sure what's going on in this tank. So I've still got 3 frag cups hanging from the frame while the xenia and mushrooms attach back to rocks.

My plate is still receding. Maybe brown jelly...

Another reason I took so long on the tank was this:

17994538098_cbae364392.jpgWP_20150527_004 by kimothy182, on Flickr

REARRANGED!!

The idea is to make a mushroom/ricordea garden on the right side, and a euphyllia wall/forest on the left side.

Step 1: Get rid of the rest of the xenia. I'll have it all cut off next water change.

Step 2: Get rid of or move sps. Myagi/shortcake and sarmentosa are definitely going into the fusion. I'll likely get rid of the purpley colony. The undata might stay in here.

Good luck with the new shrimp! I wonder - is it possible that cutting the xenia is causing stress in your tank? I've never kept xenia, but I've heard others report that trimming their xenia released toxins in the tank. Carbon might help if you're not already using it.

The new arrangement looks beautiful :wub:

Good luck with the new shrimp! I wonder - is it possible that cutting the xenia is causing stress in your tank? I've never kept xenia, but I've heard others report that trimming their xenia released toxins in the tank. Carbon might help if you're not already using it.

The new arrangement looks beautiful :wub:

Yup, using carbon. I leave the pumps on when trimming the xenia, only trim a few pieces at a time (then wait at least a few days to a week before trimming more), and scrape very carefully as close as I can to the rocks.

I cant wait till my loose shrooms attach onto rubble rock and the rest of the xenia heals so I can take those holding cups out!! It's making my flow all wonky!!

So I know you have limited lighting in here, but the tank looks spotless, like low in nutrients spotless. Receding Acan, pale SPS, I wonder if you let the nutrients rise a little if the SPS would color up?

The tank looks really good, so no need to change anything, just wondering aloud. :) I can't handle nanos yet, my tinkering ways end up killing things where in my 150 I usually have enough room for error. I put a bag of carbon and GFO in my 29 and drove phosphates down to 0 in less than a week. Solved the algae problem! I put in one drop of Pohls and I have algae on the back glass now. Gah, small tanks! :D

So I know you have limited lighting in here, but the tank looks spotless, like low in nutrients spotless. Receding Acan, pale SPS, I wonder if you let the nutrients rise a little if the SPS would color up?

The tank looks really good, so no need to change anything, just wondering aloud. :) I can't handle nanos yet, my tinkering ways end up killing things where in my 150 I usually have enough room for error. I put a bag of carbon and GFO in my 29 and drove phosphates down to 0 in less than a week. Solved the algae problem! I put in one drop of Pohls and I have algae on the back glass now. Gah, small tanks! :D

I guess I'm confused then. I thought sps liked low nutrients and very clean water? Aiyaiyai!!

I guess I'm confused then. I thought sps liked low nutrients and very clean water? Aiyaiyai!!

SPS like to feed, so it's not that they like dirty water but they like super clean water with food in it.

Some Acros will do well even without the food bits if nitrates and to some extend phospates are allowed to rise a little. You might want to try broadcast feeding Reef Roids or other coral food during the day to see what, if anything, happens. Take care not to do too much, but a little might bring out some color. I have pale SPS in my 29 right now, except for my slimer which is always bright green. It's difficult to get nutrients and food levels correct in a small tank. Well, at least for me it is. :)

Say hello to my little friend!

18487929825_e5b7592287.jpg

He likes to hang out on my sinularia. He needs a name.

He also molted last night and I'm very happy he survived it. :happydance:

18300111668_723fc2d7f1.jpg

DurocShark

I love those shrimps. I get a kick out of watching mine snag flake food out of the water column when the fish miss it.

I also love those shrimp. He does need a name. How about Zadok, that's my grandson's name? Whatever you name him, he's a great addition.

I also love those shrimp. He does need a name. How about Zadok, that's my grandson's name? Whatever you name him, he's a great addition.

To follow my current "theme" he needs to be named after a fictional character... hmm...

Archived