Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tips on my new Nuvo IM 16 G white

thomas8man

post-84600-0-68315100-1406929900_thumb.jpg

Hey guys I want all peoples tips on what i should watch out for and help out.

I am a Food Scientist so the science aspect is much easier for me to understand making it easier for me to start the tank. I know what all the food does and the biology with the plants and new lighting. I know how the cycle of food to waste is and the form that is usable and not. I am coming to Nano-Reef to find more tips and things to learn along the way.

Tank:

IM nuvo 16 White

Hydor Smart level (works very well for me)

Lighting:

Standard Initiative marine lighting

current USA 18" - 24" LED ramp lighting (I do 7 hours when I add coral and fish and then run on a 10 hour cycle)

Corals:

Blastos

GSP

Acans
I call it daisy coral :P

Ricordia

Brain

Fish:

Yellow watchman goby

Inverts:

2 Peppermint shrimp

2 Scarlet shrimp

2 Mexican Turbo snails

1-2 Turban snails

1 Emerald crab

Filter:

1.Biological sponge

-Polishing pad(Works on amazing on picking up detritus)

-Bioballs/ phosphor guard

2. Biological sponge

-polish pad (two work like little monsters on detritus)

-Chemi pure elite or normal(usually elite but normal goes on sale sometimes so load up)

IM Protein skimmer

post-84600-0-53726700-1406929888_thumb.jpg

post-84600-0-62203400-1406929894_thumb.jpg

post-84600-0-68315100-1406929900_thumb.jpg

Do lots of research. This hobby is not extremely difficult but it does take time and patience and dedication. It's not like freshwater aquariums where you just top off evaporated water and do weekly water changes and your good. It's a little more then that specially if you have corals. From the looks of your tank you are either not keeping up with water changes, not using RO/DI water, feeding too much food etc. Cloudy water and algae outbreaks are mainly due to poor water change schedule, not using RO/DI water and over feeding causing nitrate and phosphate spikes.

whats your water change schedule?

I change every two weeks 20% RO/DI is used every water change

Do lots of research. This hobby is not extremely difficult but it does take time and patience and dedication. It's not like freshwater aquariums where you just top off evaporated water and do weekly water changes and your good. It's a little more then that specially if you have corals. From the looks of your tank you are either not keeping up with water changes, not using RO/DI water, feeding too much food etc. Cloudy water and algae outbreaks are mainly due to poor water change schedule, not using RO/DI water and over feeding causing nitrate and phosphate spikes.

I think that i am over feeding might be hurting me

I would say to try to make your water changes a little closer maybe 20% every week until the algae resides

Yeah i am going to do that i was good for a bit then it went nuts :P

If u think overfeeding may be part of the issue then cut back. Fish always seem hungry but they really don't eat much. If you don't have corals yet then cut back on lighting. Maybe purchase a cheap UV light filter to help clear out the cloudiness. It helped me. Takes a few days. Definitely purchase an RO/DI filter. Its a must if you don't have one. Bulk reef supply has the best deals on them.

If u think overfeeding may be part of the issue then cut back. Fish always seem hungry but they really don't eat much. If you don't have corals yet then cut back on lighting. Maybe purchase a cheap UV light filter to help clear out the cloudiness. It helped me. Takes a few days. Definitely purchase an RO/DI filter. Its a must if you don't have one. Bulk reef supply has the best deals on them.

I just replaced the phospho guard and changed the carbon filter just did a good water change

IMO, u need to cut your photo period and feeding as well, u have some nasty algae issues for a tank that was set up over 2 months ago

IMO, u need to cut your photo period and feeding as well, u have some nasty algae issues for a tank that was set up over 2 months ago

I just added the new current USA LED light and the alge is leaving very fast now

• 3 weeks later...

I cut back and kept it going the tank is much better coral are getting brighter now algae came with the new lights and adding sea chem trace and plus and there is a huge difference in growth of the corals.

These people are bang on, reduce feeding and light. Siphon out any you can, and keep good filtration. I have a question about the first post, you said your keeping plants? Please elaborate, is this macro algae

MisturrTinnie

Has no one asked the real obvious question also? Does he need more of a clean up crew? Haha. Do what the others said, and get a clean up crew. Maybe a couple more turbos and it'll be clean in a couple of days. Those things are algae beasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Has no one asked the real obvious question also? Does he need more of a clean up crew? Haha. Do what the others said, and get a clean up crew. Maybe a couple more turbos and it'll be clean in a couple of days. Those things are algae beasts.

yeah i have two right now i will update with a picture some time this week it is doing better blastos is better looked like it was dying/ or really long growth spurt. and looks really good now and the other corals are doing well. I had a bunch of naus snails and they started dying.

It is stabilizing with red a purple algae is grow like crazy now.

I really like the IM mini reactor for my Nuvo 16. I use mine for carbon( changed every two weeks) and GFO ( use sparingly). You get much water/ media contact with a reactor. I just use floss in my media holders and let the reactor work. Stir your sand bed and blow off your rock-every time you do a water change . Invest in test kits and ck your phosphate levels- that will dictate how much phosphate remover you will need to run. Try to keep levels below around .02-.05- that seems to keep my SPS and other coral happy. Ck out my build thread in my signature.

I personally do 5 gallon RODI water changes a week and run filter floss, purigen and chemi-pure elite in both of my media baskets and have crystal clear water.

Good luck with your tank!

yeah i have two right now i will update with a picture some time this week it is doing better blastos is better looked like it was dying/ or really long growth spurt. and looks really good now and the other corals are doing well. I had a bunch of naus snails and they started dying.

It is stabilizing with red a purple algae is grow like crazy now.

Check out www.reefcleaners.org for snails. Naus snails do not eat algae, they are scavengers and eat mainly fish waste from what I have been told. Just thought I would pass along what I have learned over the past few months. :)

Check out www.reefcleaners.org for snails. Naus snails do not eat algae, they are scavengers and eat mainly fish waste from what I have been told. Just thought I would pass along what I have learned over the past few months. :)

Yea and i have an emerald crab too on top of the list of things

Did test on my water with API reef test kit

Nitrate- 5.0ppm - 10.0ppm

Phosphate - below 0.25ppm

KH - 125.3ppm

Calcium -360ppm

Nitrates are little high

• 1 month later...

I love the goby's! How are your nitrates doing? Ck out my Nuvo build thread below- I really like the IM tank- hope it holds together

I love the goby's! How are your nitrates doing? Ck out my Nuvo build thread below- I really like the IM tank- hope it holds together

My nitrates are doing amazing they are next to zero I will take a picture of the whole tank and i love your build i was scared to put in a SPS in that tank I have one in my 40g :P.

Archived