SaltCritters.com

40B Reefing While I Work!

NanoFever

Background: So my step dad works with me and saw my 16G and wanted to do something similar but less maintenance...which means I am going to do it all. Dont mind because hes paying for it! Everything but the Apex is ordered. This will be a late addition to handle the ATO and a bunch of other features I will tease until then! Anyways, the simple layout of this will be a 40 breeder on a custom built wall unit. Sump, RO/DI Mixing station, Apex, and all control will be on the other side of the wall in the offices warehouse.

Here is the starting point. Will be a slower build but getting there!

Tank:

40 Breeder

Sump:

20G DIY

Lighting:

DIY Rapid LED Lights

Let the gear collection begin!!!!

2ACD179B-1E71-429E-B2FD-CD1E9C4B9188.jpg

Please ignore the poor picture quality as its on my phone and the "amazing aquascape" HAHA!

18C3A456-F40C-4359-8FA5-ADDE14ECEDF2.jpg

0BB7CE01-CB18-4511-90B1-A4E665B31A3E.jpg

Mixing Station 35g storage containers!

5397CE9F-49F3-4268-BDE0-C6CEE422FBCD.jpg

where did you get those water containers??

Tractor Supply. You cant see in the pic but they have gallon marks on them too.

just curious, is that cabinet going to be strong enough to hold that tank? after rock/sand/equipment you're looking at 400+lbs just for the DT...

excited to see this come together, gotta be fun to build on someone else's dollar ;)

just curious, is that cabinet going to be strong enough to hold that tank? after rock/sand/equipment you're looking at 400+lbs just for the DT...

excited to see this come together, gotta be fun to build on someone else's dollar ;)

Ya its extremely sturdy build so that should not be an issue. The display tank is the only item it will be holding. Everything else will be in plumbed through the wall in the warehouse. Might add some support just to over engineer it since you put the worry in my head! HAHA!

Its a blast using someone else's dollar for sure but not moving as fast as if I was doing it with my own. If this were mine it would have been wet weeks ago! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Braced up the "stand" for my tank and now has no possible way of moving short of a tornado!

7734F427-4050-4BDD-90E0-9ACE731947CC.jpg

Plummer comes today to put in a waterline in the back room for my RO/DI unit!

I love so many things about this, first of all you're a Steelers fan! yes! secondly 40 breeder with a 20 sump! sounds like my setup I started in January. You're going to love it!

I'm sorry to hear about the pens. I steer as far away from the pens as I can.... Go devils!!! Have been to a lot of pens games tho

Thanks! I can't wait to get this thing up and running!I like the pens too! I bleed black and gold! :)
I was at the Pirate game last night against the Tigers. It was a high scoring fun game! I only recently jumped back on the baseball bandwagon. Neal Walker went to school with our son and they played on the basketball team together.

I'm sorry to hear about the pens. I steer as far away from the pens as I can.... Go devils!!! Have been to a lot of pens games tho
Yes and this year was a rough one for us in Pittsburgh who love hockey. It felt like the Olympics did us in but maybe that's just an excuse.

Nanofever, your 40g breeder tank looks really nice. I will be following your build.

I was at the Pirate game last night against the Tigers. It was a high scoring fun game! I only recently jumped back on the baseball bandwagon. Neal Walker went to school with our son and they played on the basketball team together.

Yes and this year was a rough one for us in Pittsburgh who love hockey. It felt like the Olympics did us in but maybe that's just an excuse.

Nanofever, your 40g breeder tank looks really nice. I will be following your build.

Ya was a great game! I am back on the bandwagon too hopefully Cutch gets back soon but if we play like we did last night then let him rest up! LOL! My buddy played against Walker a few times, we went to NA.

EWWWW DEVILS? At least pick a team that is exciting to watch! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been really busy at work and has been slow moving to say the least. Its all plumbed and leak tested and is currently filled with freshwater. Rocks and bucket of salt comes tomorrow! So the cycle should be starting tomorrow!!!!! :) I will get some pics up tomorrow when the rocks arrive!

• 2 weeks later...

ITS WET! Yes, more rock will be going in. Got 50# of dry rock from BRS soaking in RODI as you can see in the spare 20gallon atm.

15756376416_32c551544b.jpg

15594647768_6c93e81f85.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally got this cycled and got some crabs and snails from john at reef cleaners! Looking great!

6820772F-3C15-420A-8A26-31694625F5EE.jpg

well don't be a tease, show us your rock structure!

well don't be a tease, show us your rock structure!

HAHA! Well here it is. Nothing special, but didnt have much say as its not in my office. I am just the "consultant"! HAHA!

16051142352_529d1c3c7f_q.jpg

I like that! any stocking plans figured out?

Not exactly sure yet. For now just hermits and snails. Seeded some pods and added come cheato to the fuge as well. :blink:

Archived