ReefCleaners.org

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Crappy day today. My larger clown died for no reason I can figure. I did my water testing in anticipation of my water change and all parameters were normal. Ammonia: 0, nitrites: 0, nitrates: 5-10. Same as it's been. Then I realized I hadn't seen my larger Clarkii for a while so I went to look behind the rocks and there it was. I had my husband help me scoop it out while I moved equipment out of the way. He said its head was pretty much off. I'm attributing that to my clean up crew, but who knows. There was no sign of injury or disease in the days leading up. My other fish look and act fine (except for the blenny that had the run in with the mp10). I'm at a loss. Yesterday it was eating out of my hand. Like a pig.

I'm also worried about my striped blenny. It eats and swims normally, but just looks so skinny, lumpy and faded. It had its run in with the mp10 on October 1, so it's been a while... I'm still expecting the worst.

On the bright side, everything else looks good in my tank. Corals are doing great. During my water change I followed Nano Sapiens' lead and vacuumed my sand bed. I will be doing this from now on. Literally the dirtiest water change I've done. Getting all that crap out must be good for the longevity of my tank.

Now if my fish will just stop the shenanigans.

Sorry to hear about your fishes. :(

Ugh, DISlike about the clown. It's so annoying when something bad happens but your water tests out fine <_<

Thank you. I just wish I knew what was going on so that I could fix it. The only "dangerous" thing in my tank is the mp10, and the mp10 is on the opposite side of the tank from the anemones. That clown never ventured that far from its anemone. It's possible that my white blenny that died mysteriously had a run-in with the mp10, but not this fish. Maybe I have some mystery disease in my tank that has no symptoms? My goby and wrasse have been in there much longer than the clown and they are active and healthy. The other smaller clown looks great. Who knows. :wacko: If I had a hidden killer like a mantis, I would think my little bottom dwelling goby would have been the first victim - not a clown that keeps to and sleeps in its anemone.

The dwarf ceriths just clutter up my tank and end up everywhere they don't belong. I never see them doing anything but sitting around either. And… reefcleaners sent me 5000 of them so they are EVERYWHERE. I feel like the stomatellas are more industrious for some reason.

The cerith that most likely put the eggs there would be the one in that frogspawn photo that is to the right of the froggie. I have a bunch of the dwarfs too and they don't seem to do anything. I'm sure they do, but it's not noticeable. Sorry to hear about your clownfish :(. I always say....fish are a PITA.
  • Like 1

I think a new FTS with the light is needed :D

-Dave

Soon... :) I'll try to get one tomorrow night before lights out when the glare dies down.

The cerith that most likely put the eggs there would be the one in that frogspawn photo that is to the right of the froggie. I have a bunch of the dwarfs too and they don't seem to do anything. I'm sure they do, but it's not noticeable. Sorry to hear about your clownfish :(. I always say....fish are a PITA.

Well that would make more sense. Seemed like mighty big eggs for the dwarves. And fish are a PITA! My husband is already complaining that we have no fish. We have 4! I'm going to hold off as long as possible to get more so that I feel more confident that nothing bad is going on here.

Wow- sorry to hear about your clown- how long did you have em?

That one I had only for a month. Maybe it came in with a disease but it showed no sign of anything wrong. It's the mystery that bothers me more than anything.

A few days ago I was saying that I hoped my Duncan sprouted some new heads... Lookie here!

15459252048_af2741cf0e_z.jpg

We have a bud! Either that or a pimple, but hopefully a bud! I really love this coral. Just a sentimental favorite. :wub:

• Like 4

Well that would make more sense. Seemed like mighty big eggs for the dwarves. And fish are a PITA! My husband is already complaining that we have no fish. We have 4! I'm going to hold off as long as possible to get more so that I feel more confident that nothing bad is going on here.

We have a bud! Either that or a pimple, but hopefully a bud! I really love this coral. Just a sentimental favorite. :wub:

I hate it when you get a new fish and an old one dies. Why, why, why???? Maybe that's only my bad luck :lol:. That's why I'm always leery of adding any new fish.

Congrats on the bud...looks like a bud to me :).

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the clown :( That would break my heart.

The tank looks lovely and you will be surprised how fast the duncans will grow, mine are huge by now.

~ Hester

• Like 1

I think a new FTS with the light is needed :D

-Dave

15468392938_c1d21b4952_z.jpg

15468390988_25472b9f66_z.jpg

Sorry to hear about the clown :( That would break my heart.The tank looks lovely and you will be surprised how fast the duncans will grow, mine are huge by now. ~ Hester
Thank you!!! I have high hopes for the Duncan. I'd love for it to be really big. Fingers crossed!
  • Like 5

ER MUR GERG. Looks great!

-Dave

Thanks! :)

Nice shots- that purple cap is SWEEEET, hope mine colors up like that- how long have you had it. Do you feed it?

Thank you! My tank is pretty new. I've had that coral only for a month, but it's already growing. I feel like it was a lot browner when I first got it, so I'm attributing that change to my light. I've noticed a bunch of growth and changing of shape in the last week. I can't wait to see what it does. I do feed live plankton, marine snow and reef roids. I rotate and broadcast feed 3-4 times per week. I also dose acropower when I remember - 3-4 times per week. My fish are fed daily and I target feed my LPS twice a week with mysis or cyclops. My tank is so new, it remains to be seen if it will be successful! So far so good though.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So on Wednesday I found this guy cruising around on my glass...

15099038343_9d56c85bcc_q.jpg

Suddenly I understood why some of my zoas had seemed angry lately. I've been checking after lights out for more (found one more), and I treated once already with Flatworm Exit, which some have had good luck with. I am also the proud new owner of a cute little 6-line wrasse. Hopefully a few more treatments with the FWE will do the trick, with the wrasse for clean-up. Wish me luck!

Here are the affected colonies, looking much happier now but I've lost a few polyps. Hopefully they'll grow back and then some.

15558016710_9b1a18caa5_z.jpg

Here are some really happy Zs & Ps right next door. Gotta keep the nudis away from these. I especially like the orange and yellow colony on the left. They are on some kind of bivalve and it moves when I feed the tank. Kinda cool.

15123449313_d56f70f18a_z.jpg

• Like 4

Hey tiger, thats not a flat worm. that is a nudibranch. most likely a zoa eating nudibranch. They have the ability to change color of the coral they are eating. Best thing you can do is look at your zoas up close and use a baster to suck them up as you see them. or if you have the ability to pull those rocks out and give them a dip. also check the under side or the "Stock" of the zoa if you see a bunch of white marks those are eggs. use a small soft tooth brush and rub the zoa clean. do it out of the tank in a little jar or bowl of tank water.

• Like 1

Argh! I hate flatworms - hope you can eliminate them- it's good your getting in it early

Hey tiger, thats not a flat worm. that is a nudibranch. most likely a zoa eating nudibranch. They have the ability to change color of the coral they are eating. Best thing you can do is look at your zoas up close and use a baster to suck them up as you see them. or if you have the ability to pull those rocks out and give them a dip. also check the under side or the "Stock" of the zoa if you see a bunch of white marks those are eggs. use a small soft tooth brush and rub the zoa clean. do it out of the tank in a little jar or bowl of tank water.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - Yeah, they're zoa-eating nudis. Some have had good luck using FWE against them though. I'm hopeful it will work in my case because they are attached to my largest rock, which also has LPS and SPS attached, and it would be super hard to remove and dip. If multiple FWE treatments and the wrasse don't get them in check, I'll probably scrape the zoas off that rock to dip them.

Sorry about the nudis :(. I'm sure you'll get them under control though :).

Do you have a closeup of your Tracy Morgonian???? :D

Thanks! I sure hope I can. If they're resistant to FWE like ninjamyst's were, It will be an uphill battle for sure. What a pain to remove those zoas from the rocks!

I'll go take you a pic… ;)

Do you have a closeup of your Tracy Morgonian???? :D

My anemone shrimp is currently annoying the Tracy Morgonian, so here is a pic I took of it last week. If you look at my latest FTS, it is on the top of the large rock on the left (lots of light) and is getting absolutely blasted by my mp10. Seems really happy and is sprouting new branches, which are really hard to see when the polyps are extended because it's so fluffy. :happy:

15130684823_fd177d967a.jpg

• Like 5

My anemone shrimp is currently annoying the Tracy Morgonian, so here is a pic I took of it last week. If you look at my latest FTS, it is on the top of the large rock on the left (lots of light) and is getting absolutely blasted by my mp10. Seems really happy and is sprouting new branches, which are really hard to see when the polyps are extended because it's so fluffy. :happy:

OMG! It is sooper fluffy! I def need this...

• Like 2
Polarcollision

Finally, just for fun… here's Cinderella the flasher wrasse, looking beautiful.

15189126335_a09f3eed04.jpgi

:wub: What are you feeding him? He's got beautiful blue stripes.

Black cherry open brain. Yum...

15566598445_a41457b472_z.jpg

Holy snikes, this is gorgeous!

Today's full tank shot...

15380228139_8c39e94d47_z.jpg

Love the little arch in the middle. Everything is looking really good and this is going to keep getting better as it grows in!

• Like 1

It sure is fluffy :wub:. I may have to add one in the next UC order I make :). Thanks for posting the photo!
  • Like 1