Top Shelf Aquatics

TigerLily's IM 30L - Happy Tankiversary!

TigerLily

Full Tank Shots:

August 15, 2015 - One Year Old!

20568813428_d9bbd4d95c_c.jpg

June 15, 2015

18709390269_2f5528a78a_c.jpg

April 20, 2015

17221662311_54750b0be0_c.jpg

March 23, 2015

16743355289_bcb156b131_z.jpg

February 22, 2015

16623163831_10fcddcefa_z.jpg

January 21, 2015

16310676056_87ecae99e1_z.jpg

2014 FTS Archives:

December 21, 2014:

15452402153_1767ccfd43_z.jpg

November 29, 2014:

15286636283_23b50da56a_z.jpg

October 18, 2014:

15380228139_8c39e94d47_z.jpg

September 21, 2014:

15122510367_ca89f3460c_z.jpg

August 19, 2014:

14971597412_75c3895459_z.jpg

The Details:

Equipment List:

• Innovative Marine Fusion 30L with stock pump, spin streams and upgraded media baskets
  • NanoBox QUAD with Moonlight and Storm Controller
  • MP10 with Battery Backup (this is hurricane country)
  • IM Ghost Skimmer - Medium
  • Hydor Smart ATO
  • Cobalt Neotherm Heater, 100W

Fish:

• Clarkii Clown
  • Talbot's Damsel
  • Chalk Bass (x 2)
  • Six-Line Wrasse
  • Randall's Goby

Inverts:

• Rose Bubble Tip Anemone x3
  • Maxima Clam
  • Ornamental Feather Duster
  • Spotted Anemone Shrimp
  • Peppermint Shrimp
  • Striped Pistol Shrimp
  • Assorted Hermits
  • Nerite Snails
  • Cerith Snails
  • Nassarius Snails
  • Too many damn Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • A bunch of Stomatella Snails (hitchhikers)
  • Atlantic Cowrie
  • White Urchin

Corals:

• Purple Sea Plume Gorgonian
  • Tracy Morgonian
  • Wellso Open Brain x 2
  • Hitchhiker Brown Button Polyp
  • Assorted Zs & Ps
  • Assorted Acans
  • Green Duncan
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Assorted Ricordia
  • Closed Brain
  • Hammer
  • Torch
  • Frogspawn
  • Katropora
  • Ponape Birdsnest
  • BoP Birdsnest
  • Montipora Cap
  • Montipora Confusa
  • Asst. Acros

More corals yet to be listed!

Background (original post):

After a long hiatus due to getting married, moving cross country, having 3 kids, etc, etc... We have finally settled down and I have my hubby's blessing to start up a reef tank again! I've been cruising the forums to get back up to speed (LEDs... Huh?) and am excited to announce that today I spoke to my LFS and ordered an IM Fusion 30L! I also just ordered a Nanobox quad from Dave to go over the tank, so I am feeling poor but happy tonight.

My kids are excited too and have picked out about 75 different fish, including lemon sharks, that they want in the tank! This will be a great learning experience and a lot of fun for us all. ;)

I will keep this thread posted with details and lots of poor quality pictures, once I have something to take pictures of. I look forward to sharing with you all and getting your feedback and advice!

• Like 14

welcome back!

IM Fusion and a Nanobox? sounds like you're starting on a pretty good path.. can't wait to see what you do..

any pics of your old setup(s)?

• Like 1

Im in the same boat back in from a long break and my how things have changed. Have 4 kids my self and they are loving the new slice of the ocean. Good luck

• Like 1

welcome back!

IM Fusion and a Nanobox? sounds like you're starting on a pretty good path.. can't wait to see what you do..

any pics of your old setup(s)?

Thank you! I am very excited! I am actually on vacation right now, so the old pics aren't handy. It was just a regular 10G with an HOB fugue and CF lighting. I thought I was so slick because I was able to hide my heater in the fuge. ;) That's nothin' these days with all the AIO tanks around. When I first logged on a while back I did find my old tank thread here, but the pics are all gone. No big surprise - it's been over 10 years. I did upgrade to a 20G at some point, but I don't think I made a thread for that. If I can find some pics I'll load a few while I wait for my tank and lights...

Excited to see your progress, welcome to the club - You will love the 30L

Thank you! I've seen your thread and all the other great Fusion 30Ls - they are all impressive and you all love the tank so much, I'm excited to get it!

Cool cool! Reefs and kids mix very well. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing it. :welcome: back!

Thank you! Glad to be back!

Im in the same boat back in from a long break and my how things have changed. Have 4 kids my self and they are loving the new slice of the ocean. Good luck

Thanks, good luck to you too! Things really have changed, haven't they? It's kind of fun and exciting!
  • Like 1

Yes tremendously. LEDs, vortechs, control from phone, DC pumps. All so new. I have to remind myself that the basics are the same though. Light, flow, and water quality/params. It is fun jumping back in to all the new though.

• Like 1
Yes tremendously. LEDs, vortechs, control from phone, DC pumps. All so new. I have to remind myself that the basics are the same though. Light, flow, and water quality/params. It is fun jumping back in to all the new though.

Yes the basics are all the same, but the new toys will be so much fun!

• Like 1
Welcome back! Sounds like you are starting out with some sweet equipment right from the start! I'll be following along. :)

Thank you!

sounds like a great build incoming! the Fusion 30L looks great and you have QUAD nanobox? that's like 4x better than the tide and 2x better than the duo. Excited to see the tank + light up.

Thank you! I don't know whether the quad is 4x better, but it is certainly loooonger.... ;)

Welcome back! That'll be one nice light setup!

Thanks! I am very excited about the light and to be back!

• Like 1

You can definitely come back to nano-reef.com! :)

After a long hiatus due to getting married, moving cross country, having 3 kids, etc, etc... We have finally settled down and I have my hubby's blessing to start up a reef tank again! I've been cruising the forums to get back up to speed (LEDs... Huh?) and am excited to announce that today I spoke to my LFS and ordered an IM Fusion 30L! I also just ordered a Nanobox quad from Dave to go over the tank, so I am feeling poor but happy tonight.

My kids are excited too and have picked out about 75 different fish, including lemon sharks, that they want in the tank! This will be a great learning experience and a lot of fun for us all. ;)

I will keep this thread posted with details and lots of poor quality pictures, once I have something to take pictures of. I look forward to sharing with you all and getting your feedback and advice!

This is very exciting!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the tank :). Following for sure :).
  • Like 1
This is very exciting!!!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the tank :). Following for sure :).

Thanks! I think it is pretty exciting too!

• Like 1

Went to the LFS today and picked up my tank! Of course there is nothing in it yet (but a couple of stuffed animals). I plan on cleaning it up tonight and filling it to check for leaks. My kids loved the trip to the LFS. They had some cool fish and the kids were entranced. They especially loved the goby/pistol shrimp pair they had there, and which may have to come home with us - and the big lion fish, which is definitely never coming home with us. ;) I guess I had better get busy and order all the accessories I'm going to need so that I can buy my rock next week and get this show on the road...

post-5169-0-92115000-1407616066_thumb.jpg

In other watery news, I just rescued this guy from our pool so that the kids could go swimming. My 5 year old was certain he was going to attack and eat me! The terror! ;)

post-5169-0-07659000-1407616209_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
Welcome back to NR! The 30L's are super nice, can't wait to see how things progress :)

Thank you! I'm excited to get started!

Ohh yeah looking nice!

Thanks! And just for nostalgia and fun, here's a little something from my old 20 gallon...

post-5169-0-12476900-1407620746_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So... I got my tank and for the most part I'm very happy. It is a pretty tank and I can't wait to fill it up. One thing I'm not happy with is the screen top. While the tank is sleek and clean, the top is cheap, ill-fitting and badly made. The white plastic net is weird looking and isn't tight - it's wavy. The border is wide and the corners are really sloppy.

Really disappointing. So I decided to make my own. I got a screen kit from Home Depot and some black nylon tulle from the fabric store. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures when it's done.

In other news, I have distilled water sitting in the tank right now, doing my leak test. I filled the various chambers with different levels of water to make sure there was no seeping under the baffles or from front to back. It looks pretty good, but I definitely have some seepage between my left skimmer chamber and the return chamber. After a few hours I checked the tank and the water levels were even in those chambers. I ordered some aquarium safe silicon from amazon (HD didn't have any) and should have it tomorrow. I'm planning to shore up the silicon seal between those two chambers. My question to you AIO owners is... Is it really necessary? I figure that once water is actually flowing, 99% of the water is going to flow the way it is supposed to. Who cares whether some of the water gets back to the return chamber under the baffle instead of over it? There are no other leaks or seepage. What say you all? Thanks!

Some pics of the ugly top...

post-5169-0-17033000-1407807102_thumb.jpgpost-5169-0-66459400-1407807156_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So... I got my tank and for the most part I'm very happy. It is a pretty tank and I can't wait to fill it up. One thing I'm not happy with is the screen top. While the tank is sleek and clean, the top is cheap, ill-fitting and badly made. The white plastic net is weird looking and isn't tight - it's wavy. The border is wide and the corners are really sloppy.

Really disappointing. So I decided to make my own. I got a screen kit from Home Depot and some black nylon tulle from the fabric store. Wish me luck! I'll post pictures when it's done.

hmmm, that sucks. i was leaning toward this tank because the top looked sleek in their promo videos. but it looks really cheap in ur photos.

• Like 2

I think once the tank is filled and running, that seepage between those 2 chambers wont make 2 cents worth of issues. My nuvo (38 gallon) had a similar issue when I got it and has not made any difference in its function. :-)

Excited to see your tank progress, those nanobox lights look absolutely incredible. One day (sigh)........one day.

• Like 1

hmmm, that sucks. i was leaning toward this tank because the top looked sleek in their promo videos. but it looks really cheap in ur photos.

Yeah, the lid is totally a cheapo. But the tank itself is really nice. If you can make one yourself, I would still go for the tank and then make your own.

Even the cheap lid could be dressed up though. If you don't mind the white plastic mesh, the frame could be greatly improved with a little black Krylon to hide the scratches and the mess at the corners.

Awesome! IM definitely makes some of the best AIO's out there! Can't wait to see it stocked!

Thanks! We are getting close… I'll be mixing salt water today and getting my rock tomorrow!!!

I think once the tank is filled and running, that seepage between those 2 chambers wont make 2 cents worth of issues. My nuvo (38 gallon) had a similar issue when I got it and has not made any difference in its function. :-) Excited to see your tank progress, those nanobox lights look absolutely incredible. One day (sigh)........one day.

Glad to hear that! My first reflex was - Oh no I have to fix that… but then I started thinking it won't really matter once the pump is pushing the water through the system way faster than it can seep under the baffle. I may just run a bead of silicon around the baffle just since i have it now. But I probably won't test it to see if the seeping stops.