ReefCleaners.org

DIY PVC overflow question.

CurtBoswell

CurtBoswell

I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. So what type of check valve do I need? Can anyone point out a specific one for me? Thanks!

Like I said, for a siphon drain, use a gate valve to adjust the flow until a siphon is established.

When using a siphon drain, you must also have an emergency drain.

What make/size of tank is it? Often it is only the bottom that is tempered.

The Life Reef overflows get good reviews if drilling is really not an option.

Oh, sorry, my bad. I thought you were just setting up Herbie siphon overflow.

Here is a video the explains the DIY PVC overflow:

Most ten gallon tanks don't have tempered backs. However, they are so thin that they can crack easily. If you are up for drilling (and I feel that this would be the way to go) and basically still want a tank about this size, I would get a Mr. Aqua 11.4 frameless tank: http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_Rectangle_Frameless_Glass_Aquarium_Tank_Rectangular_Aquariums-Mr._Aqua-AZ1119-FIAQRA-vi.html

lambogriffin

Can use a PVC cap and saw cut it so that it is slotted. With a PVC over flow your sump design is very important since even well made PVC over flows will still occasionally/eventually either break siphon or get clogged for whatever reason. Make sure your sump can handle all the back flow from the display without flooding, and secondly make the last chamber with the return pump as small as possible. My PVC over flow has been up for a year. I haven't had a flood and won't, because if the overflow is blocked the pump runs dry before the display is anywhere near flooding. Also a couple things to keep in mind when building the overflow.. The tubing should be symmetrical inside and outside of the tank with the exception of the T on the outside. You should make the overflow as deep as the tank will allow, so that you can have the greatest difference in height possible between the inlet and outlet(T). The difference in height between inlet and outlet has as much impact on flow rate as pipe diameter. Post pics!

CurtBoswell

Thanks! I was planning on putting my return pump higher up so it would run dry before it could flood. Haha! I actually have it all put together now just need to cement it and instal check valve! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Archived