Pod Your Reef

Toadstool coral issue? Dark spot? Not growing

2004jeeplaredo

2004jeeplaredo

The pic is of my toadstool i have had for close to 5 months or so. When I first bought him, he looked good, polyps extended nicly and looked bushy. He still extends polyps but not as long as use too. Also hasnt shed in a long time and doesnt seem to be growing at all. Also is there a infection or issue with him from the dark tissu or around the base? Thanks for any input. Treatments?

Water parameters are good. Nitrate was a little high but is going down. Other corals seem ok. All of them are growing.

PS still having a puffy frogspawn issue. He's in medium flow and i think medium light. Still scratching my head there. See photo...

Thanks guys!

More info heres my build thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341399-fluval-spec-v-build/

post-82813-0-09961400-1406695529_thumb.jpg

post-82813-0-40579300-1406695697_thumb.jpg

2004jeeplaredo

It's probably just sloughing. How long has it looked bad?

Its slowly looked worse and worse over months. the dark spot has me curious if i need to do a dip of some sort. in the picture in my footer he looked good but not as full now.

I dont get why he hasn't shed but once when i got him and hasn't grown a bit since.

thegambler26

Couple questions, I looked at your tank build and it said you have an beamsworks18" 3 watt led. How much light does it provide?

Do you ever feed it? It might not be absolutely necessary to feed it but it will help. It sounds like it's slowly starving. I keep mine 28" or so under a hydra 52 @ 65% and regularly give it a light dusting with coral food. It grows very well under these conditions. As long as your other key parameters are in check, I'd be willing to bet more light and feedings will help it recover

2004jeeplaredo

Couple questions, I looked at your tank build and it said you have an beamsworks18" 3 watt led. How much light does it provide? Do you ever feed it? It might not be absolutely necessary to feed it but it will help. It sounds like it's slowly starving. I keep mine 28" or so under a hydra 52 @ 65% and regularly give it a light dusting with coral food. It grows very well under these conditions. As long as your other key parameters are in check, I'd be willing to bet more light and feedings will help it recover

I did raise the light a while back because my frogspawn seemed like it was too intense but now it may be effecting my toad. I dont feed it directly but have feed filter feeder food to the whole tank. Thanks for the input.

That black spot is infected tissue.it happens with toad stool. Suck it out with a siphon and dip it in revive or a similar product. It's going to leave behind an absess, but if you dip it, it should recover. I've had it happen many a time through the years. Sometimes there is a parasitic snail (name escapes me) in there that literally bores into the tissue and lays eggs. Might not be what's going on, but that black area sure looks like infection to me.

Oh, I just zoomed in. It's getting stung.

2004jeeplaredo
That black spot is infected tissue.it happens with toad stool. Suck it out with a siphon and dip it in revive or a similar product. It's going to leave behind an absess, but if you dip it, it should recover. I've had it happen many a time through the years. Sometimes there is a parasitic snail (name escapes me) in there that literally bores into the tissue and lays eggs. Might not be what's going on, but that black area sure looks like infection to me.Oh, I just zoomed in. It's getting stung.

So you think its getting stung by the neighboring coral? Not infected?

It could be, but I mean, leathers are tough and they DO shed their outer layers from time to time. Just ignore it and I bet anything it comes around. That IS an anemone next to it though, so just keep that in mind.

Mr. Microscope

Oh, I just zoomed in. It's getting stung.

Hmm.. good catch.

jeep, what is that at on the lower left hand side of the image?

2004jeeplaredo
It could be, but I mean, leathers are tough and they DO shed their outer layers from time to time. Just ignore it and I bet anything it comes around. That IS an anemone next to it though, so just keep that in mind.
no its just a polyp frag I had growing for a while. I moved the toad to the center of the tank and got him to more flow.

Hmm.. good catch.jeep, what is that at on the lower left hand side of the image?
the coral by the sand? Purple?

Hmm.. good catch.jeep, what is that at on the lower left hand side of the image?
sorry you mean the pic of the toadstool. It's a polyp frag that's been growing bigger. I moved the toad away from it.

Archived