Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dorm's SPS XR15 powered IM Nuvo Fusion 20- Working on W/C System

dormreefer

Decided to go a new direction with this tank. The SPS I had has been relocated out of the system and I have chosen to attempt to create a small Bubble Tip Anemone Garden. Two weeks ago I added my first Rainbow BTA, lets see how it goes!

Current FTS:

IMG_4017_zps0f617f4a.jpg

IMG_2342_zps7d46634d.jpg

IM Nuvo Fusion 20 w/stand
Radion XR15w Pro
VorTech MP10wES
IM Ghost Skimmer (Desktop)
IM MiniMax Reactor (Carbon/GFO)
Apex JR w/ WXM,PM1,EB8
Neotherm 75W Heater

Avast ATO

Water: Red Sea Coral pro mixed with RODI

Barebottom- Starboard

Livestock:
2x Ocellaris Clowns
CUC-2x Turban Snail 1x Dwarf hermit

Previous Updates

After having my Biocube 14 setup for almost 2 years and experimenting with many things I was getting tired with the lack of options for hardware I had. I started to look around for tanks earlier this year but couldn't find any that fit the bill mean while my desire to work on my BC dwindled. When I saw the announcement for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 with all its versatility I was intrigued. Then Marine Depot tempted me with an advertisement for preorders...so naturally I had to pull the trigger.

Tank filled: 8/20/2014

Link to my old BC14 thread;
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/309218-dorm-reef-bc14/

After having my Biocube 14 setup for almost 2 years and experimenting with many things I was getting tired with the lack of options for hardware I had. I started to look around for tanks earlier this year but couldn't find any that fit the bill mean while my desire to work on my BC dwindled. When I saw the announcement for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 with all its versatility I was intrigued. Then Marine Depot tempted me with an advertisement for preorders...so naturally I had to pull the trigger.

I'm planning on running my BC14 while I slowly build the IM. This time I am really planning on being patient as I usually rush things. I also have found cutting corners hasn't made reefing easy for me in the past so I plan on splurging a tad this time around. Hopefully, I'll be able to sell my BC14 along with some of its hardware once I transfer tanks. If all goes well I intent to get the tank and stand assembled by the third weekend in August (fingers crossed MarineDepot gets them early August). The plan is to then start acquiring the necessary items and begin a cycle. I'm hoping to pull live rock from one of my existing tanks either at my apartment or my parents house. I'm also seriously considering going bare bottom for this build, a first for me, but it will also be my first tank with a skimmer! So with that said here's my initial ideas for the tank and I am very open to any advice regarding my hardware selections!

Tank-IM Nuvo Fusion 20 w/stand

Lighting- Radion XR15 (should the mount be available and fairly price) or Nanobox Duo, any other options?

Skimmer-IM Ghost Skimmer (desktop)

Flow-Radion MP10

Livestock:

2x Ocellaris Clowns (existing)

1x Shrimp either Skunk or Fire

CUC-Undecided

Link to my old BC14 thread;

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/309218-dorm-reef-bc14/

Nice

Ordered mine today as well. I will be following along.

• 3 weeks later...

Look at all that fun equipment. I'm getting my shipment within the week as well. I am starting a IM Fusion 30 with much of the same equipment. Can't wait to get started. Keep us posted with the build and how you like the IM 20. Good luck with your new aquarium and patience is the key.

Forgot to add that I am going bare bottom this time! Managed to find some Starboard may have to sand it down a tad but looking forward to trying it out.

IMG_2238_zps86168f10.jpg

Cured Rocks means move in!
IMG_2339_zps89cf9e22.jpg
Really liking the way my room looks with this fusion! Before;
IMG_2329_zpsc453b2d6.jpg
After;
IMG_2342_zps7d46634d.jpg
I think it really opens up my room. I also sprayed the screen top black. Two things that are currently bugging me tough...My Apex Fusion is down and my skimmer is pumping out micro bubbles like no tomorrow.

Fusion down and micro bubbles ...

I say that vodka in the background might make those issues seem a little less troubling.

Purely a decorative touch :P

Got some SPS as well a 5 gallon RO Reservoir, andddd it fit! I even drilled a hole right at the back of the shelf to run tubing to the reservoir and out through the top cables holes. Still, my aqualifter hates the head pressure

IMG_2370_zpsd971228a.jpg

IMG_2364_zpseb8c804e.jpgIMG_2363_zpsa0a808f8.jpg

This tank was filled 2 days ago and you have 2 clowns and sps in it? I have to know which magic potion that you have used!

Forgot to add that I am going bare bottom this time! Managed to find some Starboard may have to sand it down a tad but looking forward to trying it out.

IMG_2238_zps86168f10.jpg

What exactly is the starboard?? I'm curious! Might help me to start a bare bottom too! Thanks!

What exactly is the starboard?? I'm curious! Might help me to start a bare bottom too! Thanks!

Its a brand name for ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene or UHMWPE. Basically its a polyethylene sheet that is super resistant to scratching, doesn't leech and most brands are UV resistant. In fact, its commonly used for cutting boards and on board boats. I chose it because it protects your glass, prevents rocks from sliding as well as gives a really nice contrast to make colors pop. Oh and it also cuts easily with most tools.

This tank was filled 2 days ago and you have 2 clowns and sps in it? I have to know which magic potion that you have used!

Cured rock along with many water changes to come ;) I also feed very sparingly

Thinking about making this into a Zeovit system. As long as I can get the skimmer to skim and use the IM reactor for the media...Now time to read.

Strange happenings to report this week. Despite testing my water and finding everything was great I've been getting cloudy water with a lot of slime :/

Strange happenings to report this week. Despite testing my water and finding everything was great I've been getting cloudy water with a lot of slime :/

Nice tank man! so high tech!

Sucks you're having that cloudy water with slime. Maybe you rushed the bioload too quickly. Even with cured rock and lots of Water Changes there's still a mini cycle to go through.

Run some carbon in there.

Nice tank man! so high tech!

Sucks you're having that cloudy water with slime. Maybe you rushed the bioload too quickly. Even with cured rock and lots of Water Changes there's still a mini cycle to go through.

Run some carbon in there.

Certainly possible, luckily everyone seems happy and parameters are good. Hopefully daily water changes will be good. I've been running Rox Carbon although I am looking to switch doesn't seem great in the reactor

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work!

I've also purchased a Radion xr15w for my nuvo 16, was wondering if you could share your current settings for it? Are you running artificial or one of the preset options?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry its been such a long time getting back to my thread. Just finished up my final semester of undergrad and got swamped with course work shortly after setting up the tank. Managed to finish my Bachelors by 20 though so I'm proud about that! As for the tank, it also fell a little behind with being so busy at school and no job. I noticed my W/C and maintenance not the best so I relocated two pieces of SPS to a tank back at my house and decided to go a different route for the meantime and add a BTA. I managed to pick up a sweet rainbow BTA so hopefully it will adjust and grow nicely!

Just ordered a radion for my fusion 20, how do you like it?

Overall, I really, really love this tank. I enjoy the look and design much more than my old BC14. The AIO section is much easier to work with. Alto ugh, the included baskets still suck epically. I'm still having issues to this day with the IM Ghost Skimmer unfortunately...

What graph you plan to run for the xr15?

Nice work!

I've also purchased a Radion xr15w for my nuvo 16, was wondering if you could share your current settings for it? Are you running artificial or one of the preset options?

Thanks!

I tweaked my graph a little over the past few months and ended up with the one shown below. It seem's to do a perfect job, but I'm looking into getting a little more technical by making a new graph that actually has some meaning other than messing.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/ajsalternative/media/ScreenShot2014-12-14at92507PM_zpsebe258cc.png.html'>ScreenShot2014-12-14at92507PM_zpsebe258c

someone asked you how you like your radion for your fusion 20.

you quoted him but never really answered the question

I just ordered a fusion 20 for myself and I cant decide on which lights to go with, the radion xr15 with the RMS or the kessil a160. I have narrowed it down to those two..

Any input on how you like the light?

someone asked you how you like your radion for your fusion 20.

you quoted him but never really answered the question

I just ordered a fusion 20 for myself and I cant decide on which lights to go with, the radion xr15 with the RMS or the kessil a160. I have narrowed it down to those two..

Any input on how you like the light?

I just realized that, I definitely misread that question...I'll blame it on being tired when I replied :lol:

Personally I really like my XR15.The big selling point fro me was the ability to control 6 independent channels. I feel that it allows for a much more versatile light. In all honesty I have wanted a Radion for a very long time long before the XR15 came out. Most of my local LFS have been using them for years with great results. When I had SPS in the tank they did very well and the colors were great. However, I have switched my gameplan to making this tank a BTA garden so time will tell on how well BTA's like the light. The small potentially "gimmicky" things sold me too: cloud coverage, lightning and control through Apex.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm a little bit of an EcoTech fanboy. So this could influence my preferences but I really like the light.

With that said at almost half the price depending on what your are going for the Kessil seems like a really sweet light. The shimmer they produce can't be beat.

Archived