ReefCleaners.org

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anything for bacteria wise,try the Nutrafin Cycle and or throwing a piece of small live rock in the false wall somewhere.

How's the RW-4 for flow ?! I want to get one so damn bad. I can't wait to see how this things starts to look once it gets some stock in there. What fish are you thinking about ?

I just refuse to put live rock in this tank. I am dealing with digitate hydroids on my nuvo now, and have dealt with other not so nice pests in the past. Even though there are a lot of benefits to going with live rock, I wanted to give the dry rock a shot this time.

As far as fish, I am leaning towards:

1&2) My current ocellaris in the Nuvo plus a second one that will hopefully pair up

3) Either a yellow fin fairy wrasse or a scarlet pin stripped wrasse

4) Tail spot blenny

5) possibly a mandarin down the line, but only if I feel that the tank can handle the addition of a 5th fish and if I can find on that eats prepared foods.

the scape is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice

Thank you!

i concurr. nice scape.

Thanks Tron! I definitely took some inspiration from your tank!

Also, I think I have nailed down a list of SPS that I want to eventually add. This is what I am thinking:

WWC Toxic Acro(already have)

Orange Passion

ORA Pearlberry

Red Dragon

Some kind of interesting rainbow Milli

lilmatty5dimes

This is what I am thinking:

WWC Toxic Acro(already have)

Orange Passion

ORA Pearlberry

Red Dragon

Some kind of interesting rainbow Milli

thats a sexy list.

Oh I also forgot to mention, I am experimenting with dosing multiple strands of bottled bacteria. Last night, to start things off, I added the recommended 5ml/25G of BrightWell Aquatics MB7, and will continue to do so for the next 2 weeks. To add diversity, I also added 2ml of ZeoBak. Tonight, I think I may add some sponge power as it is supposed to aid in shortening the cycling period, although I am unsure whether it will make much of a different with a tank that has nothing but dry rock.

One question for everyone, should I feed the tank to provide something for the bacteria to feed off of? I think I may add a pinch of LRS Reef Frenzy.

Thanks. I was a little bit aggravated with myself that I didn't htink about the return and RW-4 being on the right side. Therefore, my larger rock structure is on the same side and was a bit crowded at first. I even tried flip flopping the left and right structures, but it just didn't look right as I created the structures to each be on their particular side. In the end, I found something that would work by removing some of the locline and playing with the RW-4 until it all fit nicely.

You may want to try out Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride for cycling the tank. Food would probably do the trick, but you need it to break down and meanwhile there are phosphates and all that fun stuff in the food. You can probably pick up ammonia at any hardware store, but a lot of products contain surfactants and other things that shouldn't be going into aquariums, so Dr Tims is generally recommended. You'll be able to dose the aquarium to whatever level of ammonia you like (3ppm?), and with the bacteria supplements you've got it'll be processed out in 24 hours before you know it.

You may want to try out Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride for cycling the tank. Food would probably do the trick, but you need it to break down and meanwhile there are phosphates and all that fun stuff in the food. You can probably pick up ammonia at any hardware store, but a lot of products contain surfactants and other things that shouldn't be going into aquariums, so Dr Tims is generally recommended. You'll be able to dose the aquarium to whatever level of ammonia you like (3ppm?), and with the bacteria supplements you've got it'll be processed out in 24 hours before you know it.

Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can find that anywhere local as I do not have anything left to order for the tank for now. Until then, I will just go with some fish food. Phosphates shouldn't big that big of an issue.

2ml? :|

If I were doing the "14 day Zeo Cycle" it would call for 5 ml, as crazy as that sounds. I figured since I was just using the zeobak as a secondary bacteria source in addition to the MB7, that 2 ml should be sufficient. You thinking that was too much? I don't think it would really cause much of a problem at this point. What do you think?

I'm sure it won't be an issue no. I never realised it was dosed in such big amounts. Just know that I use 2 drops a week so it sounded like a lot. :lol:

Never realised it was dosed in such big amounts. Just know that I use 2 drops a week so it sounded like a lot. :lol:

Yeah, I figured that's what you were thinking. It is only used in that high of a concentration for the initial dose. It does seem like a crazy amount when we are typically only adding a couple drops a week. Again, this is also just somewhat of an experiment. It is definitely not the standard "14 day zeovit cycle" since I am not running zeostones/reactor or zeostart. I have not found anyone that has documented doing it this way, not that it hasn't been done, so we will see how it turns out. I am hoping it will provide me with a strong, diverse beneficial bacterial colony for good stability from the start.

2 ml doesn't sound right

Actually he is correct. The initial dosage of zeobak in the 14 day cycle is 5ml per 25 gallons. After the initial 14 day cycle is complete, you start dosing the normal amount which is 1 drop per 25 gallons.

Looking great. I love the photos with both tanks.

-Dave

Thanks Dave!

Congrats on getting the tank wet

Thanks Dramad! I felt like it took forever.

Forgot to mention, I dosed about 2ml of sponge power last night, in addition to the daily 5ml dose of MB7. That's it with the ZeoVit stuff until the tank is cycled. I will continue to do the 5ml of MB7 for another 12 days as the bottle recommends and then see where the cycle goes from there. I also threw in some LRS reef frenzy and a bit of Oyster Delight just to get some food in the tank and spike the ammonia.

No new pics. I was hoping that it would be crystal clear, but it is still kinda foggy. I think it may be the bacteria causing it to stay foggy, but I am assuming that will clear up sometime in the next week. Once it is crystal clear, I will take some more pics.

So I was TSA today buying sh*t I don't need and was talking to them about your light build,I didn't know you were a engineer and how much effort and though was out in to your canopy !! That's crazy man.

Hahaha I also found out your shared my picture of the SPS's I had gotten from them with them lol we had a good laugh about that hahaha.

So I was TSA today buying sh*t I don't need and was talking to them about your light build,I didn't know you were a engineer and how much effort and though was out in to your canopy !! That's crazy man.

Hahaha I also found out your shared my picture of the SPS's I had gotten from them with them lol we had a good laugh about that hahaha.

Im confused. Thanks regarding the light and canopy but I havent been to topshelf in months so im not aure how any of them know about my canopy. And in regards to sharing the picture of sps you got from them, i honestly have no idea what ur talking about.

Now they've got me confused lol !!! That's really weird then lol I pulled up your thread and was like " this guy " and both of the dudes said yeah... Idk I'm just as confused hahaha. Anyways,sorry for the confusing my man lol. Supposedly it's someone named Dave ?! Idk.

How's the tank doing ? That water clear up yet ?!!

Hahaha,yeah sorry about that. Idk who "Dave" is lol. Kinda weirding me out hahaha.

Tank looks amazing though man,that scape is amazing. Top notch tank for sure.

Wait what light are you using. It seems really white. Love the scape btw very minimal and low

I am using a 6 bulb ATI sunpower. I will be honest, it is a little much for this tank as only the front 4-5 bulbs are over the display. The 6th bulb is pretty much lighting the rear chambers right now. I bought it, though, knowing that I may want it sometime in the distant future for my next tank build.

mad-jealous-meme.jpg

=P

LOL - thanks ninja! I have felt the same way about your tank for a while now!

Hahaha,yeah sorry about that. Idk who "Dave" is lol. Kinda weirding me out hahaha.

Tank looks amazing though man,that scape is amazing. Top notch tank for sure.

Lol i even tried searching for "Dave's CAD 34G Mini" to see if google would find any results, but came up empty.

Thanks, I am super happy with the way the scape came out. The first tank I set up I basically just threw my rockwork together in about 2 minutes, and was never happy with the result. This time I spent 4 days tweaking it until I was 100% happy!

Honestly,scapes and dosing regiments are the hardest to figure out I think lol.

I was actually able to throw the scape together for my 7 gallon within 5 minutes and face palmed myself because the scape is so sexy lol.

How's the plethora of bacteria dosing going for,cycle wise ?

Archived