Pod Your Reef

D Z's garage frag tank(formerly CAD 34G Mini)

D Z

Hey DZ,

Awesome setup, I love emerald crabs for algae control, just a tip when they have the algae reduced leave just one so it will have enough algae to eat and will leave your corals alone. Regarding the dead crab are you sure it was dead? sometimes they molt when added to a new environment.

I also leave in Orlando,

Cheers

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey DZ,

Awesome setup, I love emerald crabs for algae control, just a tip when they have the algae reduced leave just one so it will have enough algae to eat and will leave your corals alone. Regarding the dead crab are you sure it was dead? sometimes they molt when added to a new environment.

I also leave in Orlando,

Cheers

Thanks! It was definitely dead. I thought the same about possibly molting, as they do this when stressed sometimes, but it was definitely a dead crab and not just the molt.

I just responded to your thread actually about living in Orlando too!

So, newest plan for this tank.(I know I have gone through many iterations)

Sometime in the beginning of the year, after I get through the rest of this crazy year, I will be rebooting this tank. The rock that I have just seems to be a constant algae pit, no matter what I do. I also really want to get this tank out of my bedroom. It deserves to be downstairs where people, including myself, can appreciate it more.

So, he is what I am thinking:

1) Get new good quality live rock, create scape, and let it cook in the garage for a couple weeks

2) Transfer all existing rock, coral, and fish to a brute container, which will sit under my current light on some form of temp stand

3) Clean out tank and equipment really well so it's like new again

4) Paint existing stand white

5) Set up tank downstairs in the foyer, on the newly painted stand, with a new light(shhhh, radion xr30W Pro)

6) Add new sand, scape, water

7) Transfer livestock back and enjoy

8) Sell old ATI and NanoBox Retro

So, that is just phase 1, hopefully. I really am thinking about an upgrade sometime later next year and that is just to get me into something that will work until then. More details on this later, but it may involve piping A/C into my garage and a deep blue 80 gallon Edge.... :ninja:

80 gallon deep blue ftw!

Im in love with that tank. My garage is a mess right now and I'm planning on trying to organize and redesign the layout in there next year, so I figured why not try to work into it AC and a tank. There is no good place in my house for a tank, let alone a good sized one, so I figured why not make space for it.

• 3 weeks later...
lilmatty5dimes

Dang someone just had a pretty good deal on a DB 80g rimless in Orlando for $450. Think the guy sold it on Tuesday.

Hopefully you were the one to buy it. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

So Alex shared a very cool picture with me yesterday. One of my frags that he has been holding on to for me for some time now is what we thought was a green granulosa that I had bought from Steven(ReefKid). Well, it has been throwing out some new coloration that is quite interesting. Yellow highlights have started on the tips and the polyps have started turning red :oB):lol:

21164392923_fe0b7276be_o.jpgIMG_1865 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Well, well, well - what have we here. :naughtydance:

Borat-VeryNice.gif

Well, well, well - what have we here. :naughtydance:

Borat-VeryNice.gif

It is! but sadly I havn't even seen this frag in a while. I have had some horrible issues with the tank, mostly algae issues. All of my SPS has been in a friends tank, as I had said, for quite some time now. I may not even take it back as I am planning on rebooting in the beginning of the year and am thinking I will just stick with softies and LPS for a while. I can probably trade most of the SPS in his take for some nice LPS though!

Most of it has doubled in size. I dont have any recentbpics unfortunately. My red planet is basically a mini colony at this point. I did loose a couple of your pieces, but the granulosa and red wine looked amazing last time I saw them.

That's crazy man,I'm sure they've grown big time !! I want frags before you let them go,so tell Alex lol.

Ill let you know. Shouldn't be too hard.

• 1 month later...

I'm pumped to see this new build you're talking about! Sounds awesome. I dream of the day I'm not paying rent on an apartment and have a house I could do some serious reef tank business in! lol. I'll definitely stay tuned for it :happy:

I'm pumped to see this new build you're talking about! Sounds awesome. I dream of the day I'm not paying rent on an apartment and have a house I could do some serious reef tank business in! lol. I'll definitely stay tuned for it :happy:

Unfortunately,I dont think it gonna happen. Im actually in the process of taking this tank down. I will be moving all coral to a frag tank that I just set up in the garage. Its nothing special, just a standard 10 gallon. I will keep my clowns and mandarin but will be selling the neon goby and kole tang. The goal will be to get all the fragd cleaned up with multiple h202 dips, spread out by 4 to 5 days to allow the coral to heal in between.

Once everything is cleaned up, I will decide whether to just sell everything off or potentially set up my old 8 gallon nuvo as a budget simple reef. I have already began selling a bunch of random equiptment that I know Im not going to need. The tank and Sunpower will follow after everything is relocated.

Aw I hate to hear that :unsure: But, I completely understand the feeling! Sometimes it's best to walk away...even if just for a while! I hope you decide to set up the 8G! Looks like you had some killer frags. Plus those tanks are super clean looking. If not, and you decide to sell everything I would definitely be interested! I live in AL so the shipping wouldn't be too bad. I have often thought about what it would be like to have a big tank, but then the thought of the cost of stocking it terrifies me :wacko:

I just realized I wasn't following your tank. Oops :blush:

Good luck with cleaning up the frags! I think moving them into the new frag tank where they algae hasn't established itself is definitely the way to go when it gets that out of control.

Following now :D

lilmatty5dimes

I sold my DBP80g Edge for $200 lol

dang i would almost make a road trip down south for that. lol

dang man sorry to hear about the bad algae issues. sucks when you can't fix the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized I wasn't following your tank. Oops :blush:

Good luck with cleaning up the frags! I think moving them into the new frag tank where they algae hasn't established itself is definitely the way to go when it gets that out of control.

Following now :D

Yeah thats my thought. So far so good...hopefully it continues to do well. Jutrients are elevated right now so Im starting water changes and rowaphos b4 the algae can get a hold.

dang i would almost make a road trip down south for that. lol

dang man sorry to hear about the bad algae issues. sucks when you can't fix the problem.

Yeah but this is my chance to do something new. I have an idea for a pretty badass downsize....well see if i can make it happen.

Heres some pics from the frag tank. Most of the coral has been moved...just my yuma and a couple rics left in the 34.25098322445_ec5ef52d60_k.jpg20160217_202928 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

25071980506_dcee54731a_k.jpg20160217_202754 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

24730640949_cfd5981da8_k.jpg20160217_202805 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

25071981066_05f81f9f4b_k.jpg20160217_202810 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

24980131982_8fa8c17fe4_k.jpg20160217_203010 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

25071987296_516d011c1e_k.jpg20160217_202946 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

25005017281_594df6f673_k.jpg20160217_203033 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

24802714090_697d03a741_k.jpg20160217_203053 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

I had a similar experience with my frag tank with bare bottom and no rock. All I had was a few small frags on plugs, which I fed lightly. I ran floss and carbon (no room for a skimmer), and phosphates went crazy and I had all kinds of hair algae. I battled it for months, and finally pulled everything out, scrubbed the algae off of every surface I could fine, and covered the bottom in sand and some small rocks. I added a snail bomb from reefcleaners, and it's pretty much been pristine ever since.

Archived