Cultivated Reef

Nic's CadLight 45 Gallon Shallow Reef - New Pictures!

Nic

Hey guys! I'm upgrading from my 14 gallon BioCube to a kinda sorta nano-ish 45 gallon shallow reef. As of now, I have completed the transfer of livestock from my 14 gallon BioCube into the new aquarium. Its been several days since I completed this and unfortunately, I had to do so before the tank was cycled through because I required some of the equipment from the 14 gallon in order to complete the setup of the new tank.

Luckily, I had good live rock to place into the tank, along with a refugium I was able to transfer into the sump. I had a few fluctuations in tank parameters over the first couple of days that I attribute to die off from transferring the live rock over to the new tank and stirring up the refugium live sand bed during the transfer.

The new tank is being run bare bottom with a minimalist style both in terms of live rock and in terms of equipment. I am having a tough time keeping detritus off the bottom of the tank. Any of you experienced BB'ers have any advice? The only pieces of equipment visible within the tank are the VorTech MP10w hanging from the right side of the aquarium and the two Aqua Illumination fixtures hanging above it. The rock structure is open and set up to provide as much appearance of depth as possible while also attempting to pique the interest of those viewing it.

Tank: CadLights 45 Gallon Shallow Reef 36"x24"x12"

Stand: CadLights Artisan II Stand - Piano Black Finish (P.O.S.)

Equipment:

• VorTech MP10w x 1
  • VorTech MP40w x 1
  • CadLights PLS Skimmer - Gen-3 PLS-100 Pipeless protein skimmer
  • CadLights El Cheapo Return Pump (Replacing with Reef Octopus Diablo DC 3500)
  • 50w Heater (Had a 150w shatter on me within the first three days of setting up)
Lighting:
  • Aqua Illumination (AI) Hydra 52
  • Aqua Illumination (AI) Vega
  • Aqua Illumination (AI) Director (Controller)
Lighting Schedule:

Cool White:

8:00 AM - 9:00 AM Ramp up to 25%

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 65%

12:00 PM - 7:00 PM 65%

7:00 PM - 10:00 PM Ramp down to 0%

Violet:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 90%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 90%

Deep Red:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 85%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 85 %

Green:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 75%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 75%

Blue:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 100%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 100%

Very Deep Blue:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 95%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 95%

Royal Blue:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 95%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 95%

UV:

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 65%

The two fixtures are attached utilizing the AI rail extension system. They are suspended from the ceiling by the AI fixture hanging system. The intention is to purchase the AI Vega upgrade pucks to upgrade it to a Hydra 52, however, that is a little further down the road, as what I currently have has plenty of oomph.

Filtration:

• 30 Gallon CadLights Sump
  • Refugium with Refugium LED light
  • Bio Ball Chamber

The tank is not fully complete as of yet. There are several upgrades I still intend to make before I consider it fully completed. A friend and I are developing a custom stand. The intention is to make it at 36"x36" in order to allow the sump to be placed sideways, freeing up an enormous amount of space for equipment. We are also planning to build it with a recessed top portion for a Bluefish controller, iPad Mini or iPad Touch and doser to be displayed. If you want a visual reference, refer to NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L stand.

Future Equipment:

• VorTech MP40w ES
  • Korallen-Zucht ZEOvit Starter Package with Vertex RX-Z 1.5L ZEOlite Reactor
  • DC Diablo 3500 Return Pump
  • Hydra FiftyTwo Upgrade Kit
  • BlueFish LED and Aquarium Controller
  • Kore 5th Doser (ATO & AWC)

Most of these upgrades will take place within the next two weeks.

Inhabitants:

Fish:

• Black Ice Clownfish
  • Picasso Clownfish
  • Pygmy Angelfish
  • Powder Blue Tang (Juvenile)

Coral:

• Oregon Blue Tort Acropora
  • Green Acropora x 2
  • Orange Cap Montipora
  • Seasons Greetings Encrusting Montipora
  • Galaxea Coral
  • Two-Toned Hammer Coral (Two heads)
  • Uranium 235 Mushroom
  • Multiple Blue and Orange Ricordia Mushrooms
  • Torch Coral (Recently split the four heads into two pairs of two heads)
  • Multiple Zoanthids

Inverts:

• Feather Duster
  • Rose Bubble-Tipped Anemone
  • Maxi Mini Anemone
  • Rock Flower Anemones x 2
  • Multiple Snails and Hermits
  • Neon Green Carpet Anemone (S. Gigantea - Arriving Saturday)
  • Acid Rain Bubble-Tipped Anemone (Also arriving on Satuday)

AABB14A9-7EEB-4F84-BE81-BB05AF196F7D_zps

FTS 07/25/14

B022BE3A-80AD-4D12-B272-6C17CE00EB85_zps

Tank and Sump

31E5E515-682C-4BBF-8D08-54954AE7416C_zps

Left Side of Tank

B53C0F48-31E2-4A20-B4DD-0BCE886B9871_zps

Right Side of Tank

263C9FDF-1F10-4B87-AE8C-1DCC37281CAA_zps

Further away FTS

05F7B523-721C-4D38-8F01-5967FE7DA279_zps

14 Gallon BioCube being replaced

Sorry about the quality of the photos. I tried to touch up the iPhone shots but this is the result. Planning to either upgrade or borrow a friends camera for future shots.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few shots from tonight. I've been playing around with an app that allows me to actively adjust the exposure on my iPhone's camera and they seem to be coming out better, along with adjusting the color spectrum of my lights.

F0BA46E5-AEFA-4054-9797-6FCF2116FF9B_zps

Full Tank Shot - July 29, 2014

C36205C8-9129-46D6-89D0-5B5649784AB7_zps

Left Side

89A6C5AE-E3E0-4788-85D5-581294D2F723_zps

Right Side

I'm considering adding a Dwarf Golden Angelfish. Anyone ever had any experience with them?

The tissue necrosis I was experiencing with two of my SPS, the Seasons Greetings Montipora and Green Acro has not gotten any worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better either. I originally decided it was the recent addition of UV spectrum, set too high that was likely causing it but I am beginning to think the intensity of the lighting altogether was a bit much. The corals went from being exposed to an AI Vega to being exposed to an AI Hydra 52 and Vega in tandem. Today I set all spectrums at or near 50% plus or minus 5. I'm gonna leave it like this for the whole day, possibly two and see if it has any effect.

Placing order for a few things this evening. I'm putting in an order for a BlueFish Controller as well, along with everything pictured.

This leaves a few things left to be purchased including:

• Reef Octopus Diablo DC 3500 Return Pump
  • AI Vega to Hydra 52 upgrade kit
  • ZEOvit reactor and ZEOvit products
  • 5th Kore Doser Pump

2C363170-B14E-4E34-B9E1-3A5F0BC155CA_zps

I'm considering adding a Dwarf Golden Angelfish. Anyone ever had any experience with them?

The tissue necrosis I was experiencing with two of my SPS, the Seasons Greetings Montipora and Green Acro has not gotten any worse, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better either. I originally decided it was the recent addition of UV spectrum, set too high that was likely causing it but I am beginning to think the intensity of the lighting altogether was a bit much. The corals went from being exposed to an AI Vega to being exposed to an AI Hydra 52 and Vega in tandem. Today I set all spectrums at or near 50% plus or minus 5. I'm gonna leave it like this for the whole day, possibly two and see if it has any effect.

Centropyge aurantia is often considered a difficult species to keep, they're incredibly cryptic, divers rarely see them in the wild as well. Many are also caught with less sustainable methods so get a healthy specimen from a reputable dealer.

The Bluefish controller is a pretty neat piece of equipment. Very glad I bought it.

I'm looking forward to getting it but I won't be using it as an LED controller because sadly, AI chose not to offer compatibility with the BlueFish. I will, however, be using it as an aquarium controller and looking forward to the expansions being made available. Are you aware of any support for powerheads yet?

Centropyge aurantia is often considered a difficult species to keep, they're incredibly cryptic, divers rarely see them in the wild as well. Many are also caught with less sustainable methods so get a healthy specimen from a reputable dealer.

I appreciate the information. I had a WYSIWYG Dward Golden I was really contemplating at Unique Corals. I spoke with the guys there and they said it was captured without the use of cyanide and had been in the store for several weeks before being made available but damned if someone didn't jump in the day before I planned to pull the trigger. I'm talking with a guy at Live Rock n Reef who says they'll be getting six in sometime next week but I'm just not quite sure about it. I get an odd vibe from their website and some of their reviews online.

I'm guessing LA = Live Aquaria but DD? I've signed up for the Live Aquaria notification email.

Live Aquaria Divers Den

How do you like the quality of the cad 45?

The quality of the tank is good. I wouldn't call it extraordinary but for the price, it does the trick. Some of the plumbing was ill fitted but with some tinkering I was able to get it to work. The biggest complaints I have are regarding the complete lack of instructions for both the plumbing and the construction of the stand and the cheapness of the stand itself. Completely constructed of particle board and hard to put together without instructions. Needless to say I'm in the planning phase of a new stand. Overall, the complete set up, tank, sump, skimmer, return pump, plumbing and stand at $1,000 was well worth it, including the shortcomings.

Live Aquaria Divers Den

Ahhh... Yeah I already set myself up for notifications. I think I'll hold off for LA. They have the best guarantee of proper collection and acclimatization.
KP_Reef_Tank

Are you aware of any support for powerheads yet?

No, not yet. Other functionalities were said to be at least a year out, on the sponsor forum.

If you are looking for a controllable powerhead- check out the jebao rw series.

Got some new corals and fish today.

New Fish:

African Lyretail Anthias (Male): 1

African Lyretail Anthias (Female): 3

Also heard the owner of the LFS referring to these as Yellow Breasted Lyretail Anthias. The male was considerably more expensive than the females (44:29). NOT sure if this is typical?

New Inverts:

Maxima Clam (Gold): 1 Small (2 inches)

Deresa Clam (Brown and White): 1 Small (2 inches)

New SPS:

Acropora tort (Oregon): 1 inch frag

New LPS:

Toxic Green Hammer Coral: 1 head frag

Acan Lord: 3 frags multiple heads (1 Rainbow)

Nitrates were running high tonight so I did a 20 gallon water change and everything seems to be in order. I placed my order for an VorTech MP40w and a few other items through BRS, looking to arrive around Wednesday. I'm looking forward to combining that with the MP10w I've already got set up. Planning to place the MP40 on the bottom right corner to help kick up the detritus collecting in the back of the tank while the MP10 will be placed in the top right hand corner for added surface disturbance and circulation over the corals and live rock, with the flow ending at the opposite end of the tank and pushing down across the bottom.

All the new critters seem to have settled in minus one anthias who passed on to the big reef in the sky. I blame the LFS for this because they put all five anthias in one bag. They were running out of oxygen and breathing hard within 45 minutes. I put them in a bucket with a Powerhead and drip line for an hour and it seemed to revive them but apparently not all. The male is far more reclusive than the females which seems odd but hopefully he'll get a bit spin kier with time.

Added a few things this week; EcoTech MP40w, green-Blue Birdsnest, Strawberry Shortcake Acropora, new frag of Oregon Blue Tort Acropora, a black and white Deresa Clam, Gold Maxima and 3 Acan frags.

FTS 08/08/2014

3BB40134-C04C-4CA9-9D66-76A24F7F1939_zps

Left Side

DA198E23-16FA-4B8B-AD58-C525260413C4_zps

Note: I ended up returning the juvenile Powder Blue, realizing he would get far too large for the tank even though it has an unusual footprint. Decided to try a Hawaiian Yellow Tang and a couple of Lyretail Anthias.

Left Side - 2

C0CD5238-3EBD-4A73-92A3-ABD5C4CC0576_zps

Right Side - Blue-Green Birdsnest, Golden Maxima

2533A374-5C59-4D22-8281-DAF89BF3B164_zps

Middle - Deresa Clam, Zoas, partial Acans shot

0A8C439A-D9D5-4639-9A77-A1F9B34601AF_zps

Went to the President's signing of the new VA Reform Bill at Fort Belvoir as part of my job. Had a great time meeting fellow veterans, as well as a few of the integral Senators and Congressman such as Senator Sanders.

007A5AFC-C0E7-4343-A345-D7825B488E05_zps

183C20C8-2369-4033-AC3B-14938ED179C7_zps

Did a 25% water change and used this new nifty little guy to vacuum up detritus and loose sand without taking out additional water. I highly recommend this for anyone with a bare bottom.

32EB9423-E814-4531-9CE3-CFAFA8475A81_zps

Did a water test as well:

PH: 8.0-8.1

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: < 5.0ppm

All the fish and corals are looking good and coloring up. Hoping to have a friend come over and borrow their DLSR camera for a round of quality photos.

Decided to do some pretty severe changes to the lighting intensity. I've had some coloration issues with a few acros as well as some softies like mushrooms, zoas, etc. I believe the intensity of the lighting is a bit much for it to be hanging 12" over the tank, so I'm dropping the intensity by between 20 and 30%. I've been playing around with the intensities manually and this seems to be the best setting for good strong light and good coloration.

I also dropped the Deep Red spectrum by about 25% because I am having a problem fighting off nuisance algae and cyano. Not sure if cutting back on the red spectrum will help with the cyano but I am aware that algae seems partial to the red spectrum of light.

Lighting Schedule:

Cool White:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 55%

12:00 PM - 7:00 PM 55%

Violet:

Deep Red:

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM Ramp up to 50%

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 50%

Green:

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 55%

Blue:

Very Deep Blue:

Royal Blue:

UV:

11:00 AM - 7:00 PM 55%

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions for the lighting schedule and intensity. There's a good chance, if this intensity works, that I will be offsetting the scheduling by an hour or two, as my schedule leaves very little time in the evening to enjoy the tank at full intensity. We'll see how things go.

So I've come to the realization that I have a serious dinoflagellate problem. Every day I come home to my rocks and corals covered in a thick brown good with bubbles under the mat. I blow the rocks off religiously with a turnkey baster to no avail, they simply return within a couple of hours. Some of my corals are quite stressed and hardly opening. Water parameters are normal as of today so I'm going to attempt to raise the ph up to 8.4, cut the light cycle and intensity for 2-3 days, and raise the magnesium levels up in an attempt to stifle their growth. Should that fail to do the trick, I'm considering dosing the tank with 1ml of h2o2 per 10 gallons, so approximately 7 ml of h2o2. Hopefully, since that is a drastic step that will have ramifications on the entire tank, that will not be necessary. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Fought Dino's and cyano FOREVER!!! Finally I decided to try biopellets and started dosing ZEOBAK and their coral snow. Took about a month and Dino/cyano was gone. Love that stuff. Now I use all kinds of zeo products.

Fought Dino's and cyano FOREVER!!! Finally I decided to try biopellets and started dosing ZEOBAK and their coral snow. Took about a month and Dino/cyano was gone. Love that stuff. Now I use all kinds of zeo products.

I'm planning to go full ZEO and buy try korallin reactor from BRS in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I did a bit of searching and found that a few people on the forum used Algae Fix Marinr and had some success against Dinos. I also raised the ph to 8.3. The ph was very low (as a result of the dinos I assume) so hopefully this one two punch will knock 'em out.

Archived