ReefCleaners.org

Glass-Holes Nano over flow with teeth on 40 gallon cube?

rkum19

Hello guys,

I have Glass-Holes Nano overflow box with teeth I plan on using it with a 1" PVC setup rated at 300 GPH flow rate with a return on 1/2" PVC rated at 275 GPH flow rate. Sump will be about 17 gallons. My question is will this overflow and return be enough a 40 gallon cube?

So long as your return pump doesn't crank out more than 275 gph with headloss (you can get a pump with greater nameplate GPH rating), you'll be fine. This will give you 5X flow, which folks say is enough.

275gph on a 40?

Personally, the 700 overflow with a 1000gph pump is inadequate on my 40 gallon bare bottom frag tank. I have a Jebao in there running full blast, and an intermittent MJ1200 that I turn on to blow shit around and out the overflow.

I dont know how these "5x folks" are keeping their tanks clean without a lot of manual intervention.

Or are they just fine with all the poop collecting in the sand, and all the nooks a crannies, and just staying there? Im basting my rocks several times a day, it never ends.

I designed an overflow comparable to the GH 700 with suction holes at the bottom of the tank, that ill be testing. Its not an overflow, more of underflow.

275gph on a 40?

Personally, the 700 overflow with a 1000gph pump is inadequate on my 40 gallon bare bottom frag tank. I have a Jebao in there running full blast, and an intermittent MJ1200 that I turn on to blow shit around and out the overflow.

I dont know how these "5x folks" are keeping their tanks clean without a lot of manual intervention.

Or are they just fine with all the poop collecting in the sand, and all the nooks a crannies, and just staying there? Im basting my rocks several times a day, it never ends.

I designed an overflow comparable to the GH 700 with suction holes at the bottom of the tank, that ill be testing. Its not an overflow, more of underflow.

I am one of the "5× folks". My 40 will have a flow rate through the overflow very similar to the OP. I'm a firm believer in "slow through the sump, spin cycle in the display". I've also got a pair of vortechs to move water in the display. I'm not relying on on my return for flow in that manner. I see your point though...without the vortechs I wouldn't have nearly enough flow.

I am one of the "5× folks". My 40 will have a flow rate through the overflow very similar to the OP. I'm a firm believer in "slow through the sump, spin cycle in the display". I've also got a pair of vortechs to move water in the display. I'm not relying on on my return for flow in that manner. I see your point though...without the vortechs I wouldn't have nearly enough flow.

I have a pair of mp10's that will be used for circulation. Also think about going bare bottom but I have a lot for Nassarious snails that need hiding.

I have a pair of mp10's that will be used for circulation. Also think about going bare bottom but I have a lot for Nassarious snails that need hiding.

It will work just fine :). I would either reconsider going BB, or reconsider the snails.

Im fine with slow through sump. Easy enough to build one thats slow for slow sections, with an overall high gph.

A skimmer doesnt increase or decrease performance with sump flow rate(fast or slow). A fuge should be slow, mine is too slow actually. It may increase overall gas transmission though.

But sock flow through? The more water that flows through it, the better its performance. Or whatever mechanical filtration you may choose, it improves with high gph.

Reactor performance neither increases or decreases performance from flow rates.

If the OP upgrades from nano to the GH 700 with a faster pump, he can effectively get an extra MP10s worth of flow for about $100(savings of $135-185). On a locline thats directable (mp10s are not of course).

If the OP upgrades from nano to the GH 700 with a faster pump, he can effectively get an extra MP10s worth of flow for about $100(savings of $135-185). On a locline thats directable (mp10s are not of course).

The entire point of MP10s is they're not the simple flow you get from a pump or a powerhead. If you just want simple flow, MP10s are never going to be a cheap solution.

I cant point my MP10 except straight out from the glass.

I put eductors on the end of my returns, and can point them in any direction I like. I can point it right at the MP10 if I like a create a vortex from hell, or a wake over the side of the glass.

Anyway, my point is I want as much water going through the socks as feasible. Because the more flow through the sock equals less poop in my tank.

Increased tank flow and decreased sump flow(mechanical filtration part) just means the poop blows around in the tank more, sure. But it will eventually settle somewhere.

Ps, if anywhere, in this thread, it looks to you that I stated or implied that high flow in a tank sucks or that mp10s suck....that didnt come from me.

Pss, a high gph return pump puts additional flow in a tank, in ADDITION, as in extra, flow with one less plug in at the power bar and one less pump inside the tank. Example for clarity, a person was thinking of putting 3 MP10s in the tank, and only puts 2, the high flow return pump moves a lot of water instead of the 3rd MP10 That would take up an addition plug in on the controller powerbar.

Pss, I thought the idea I was expressing was fairly intuitive and straight forward. I had no idea the concept was hard.

Psssss

Its hard to kill inverts with a fast overflow, not impossible at all. I've pulled dead snails and dead hermits out of my filter sock (live ones, and a live tiny little white brittlestar too).

But my MP10 chewed up one of my sally lightfoot crabs pretty good today. Its taken out a fromia starfish as well.

In tank flow is not without hazards.

So what are some of the actual objections to a high(10-20X turnover) GPH overflow, with a slow(1-2X turnover) GPH refugium chamber/section, and high GPH return?

Its hard to kill inverts with a fast overflow, not impossible at all. I've pulled dead snails and dead hermits out of my filter sock (live ones, and a live tiny little white brittlestar too).

But my MP10 chewed up one of my sally lightfoot crabs pretty good today. Its taken out a fromia starfish as well.

In tank flow is not without hazards.

So what are some of the actual objections to a high(10-20X turnover) GPH overflow, with a slow(1-2X turnover) GPH refugium chamber/section, and high GPH return?

My only pitfall to what you suggest would be energy consumption. It costs a lot more to run a return pump for flow than it costs to run a powerhead also heat and excess noise from using a larger pump although those could be removed by using a nice quiet external although the energy in most cases isn't as efficient still.

I think its pretty much a case of tradeoffs with personal preference being the deciding factor, in my case the mame decided return flow for me but honestly its quiet not running a mag 7 under tank vs a mag3... quiet is important to me heh I am considering an eheim because I really hate noisy pumps and its a bit more energy efficient aswell.

Ok, I thought if an objection.

If you were using an auto feeder with pellets.

The pellets would float right over the overflow.

Archived