Top Shelf Aquatics

My Ocean Box - Nano Reef Build (updated 7/25/15)

skyzpop

Just added my first two corals! They were FREEBIES from a buddy of mine. :haha:

Candy Cane and Pink Zoa (been told it could be a Pink Paly)

photo1-4.jpg

photo4.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, your build is looking great so far! Just wanted to drop a quick thank you, after seeing your screen top, I had to make one for myself. Finally went out to Lowe's and got a screen kit, everything cost less than 20$ (and I could probably make 4 more tops if I needed to!). Screen fits wonderfully, I think I'm getting better light penetration and best part is that it's not collecting condensation like the glass top did. It is sooooo much cleaner and convenient to get in and out of the tank. Thanks for the tip!

P.S I also have some trumpet frags, they're awesome corals :)

Hi, your build is looking great so far! Just wanted to drop a quick thank you, after seeing your screen top, I had to make one for myself. Finally went out to Lowe's and got a screen kit, everything cost less than 20$ (and I could probably make 4 more tops if I needed to!). Screen fits wonderfully, I think I'm getting better light penetration and best part is that it's not collecting condensation like the glass top did. It is sooooo much cleaner and convenient to get in and out of the tank. Thanks for the tip!

P.S I also have some trumpet frags, they're awesome corals :)

Glad to hear! The only real drawback I can see with a screen top is you will get more evaporation and dust particles falling into your tank, but a ATO system and weekly water changes take care of this IMO.

Where are you placing your trumpet coral? I currently have mine of a frag rack trying to determine where to put it.

I placed mine around the low-mid area in the tank, beneath one of the lights. It seems to be doing very well. I spot fed it and it just opened and took whatever food I threw its way. It's definitely fun to watch, as its tentacles retract and contract fairly consistently based on the lighting (day vs. actinic) and they ballon when they eat.

• 4 weeks later...

Skyz - saw you post in another thread and found your link to this one. Just wanted to comment and say your scape is absolutely amazing. Probably the most visually appealing I've seen on the site!

Skyz - saw you post in another thread and found your link to this one. Just wanted to comment and say your scape is absolutely amazing. Probably the most visually appealing I've seen on the site!

Thank you very much! :wub:

Nothing much has changed with my tank because we are planning on moving soon but once the move happens and the tank gets settled I will be adding more corals and posting an update, so stay tuned!

Again, thank you for the kind words!

• 2 months later...

I know I haven't updated in a while but for those that are following my wife and I sold our house and finally bought a new one.

I did the tank transfer last night and everything seems to have made the journey/move.

Once the tank settles I plan on finally adding more coral and maybe a cleaner shrimp, etc.

I will update changes that I make soon.

Happy Holidays!

I know I haven't updated in a while but for those that are following my wife and I sold our house and finally bought a new one.

I did the tank transfer last night and everything seems to have made the journey/move.

Once the tank settles I plan on finally adding more coral and maybe a cleaner shrimp, etc.

I will update changes that I make soon.

Happy Holidays!

Post up a FTS with your stand- sounds cool- 5 gal. ATO - perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

how do you like the screen other than the glass top ?

I like the screen top over the glass simply because the screen does not have the gaps in it for your fish to jump out. Also, the screen top seems to keep my tank at a more consistent temperature but you will get more evaporation with the screen top which wont matter if you have an ATO system. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I like the screen top over the glass simply because the screen does not have the gaps in it for your fish to jump out. Also, the screen top seems to keep my tank at a more consistent temperature but you will get more evaporation with the screen top which wont matter if you have an ATO system. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yeah i am running a Hydor ATO so it doesn't matter to me about it evap

• 1 month later...

nice ! time to grow some corals

There are some in there, just need to get a better camera so you can see them plus I can only afford small frags... :mellow:

• 2 months later...

Nice! Looks good and clean- what's are your frag rack?

I have a Candy Cane that is not doing too well since I updated my lights (still trying to find the correct percentages). I also have a couple of Zoas, one being a Sunny D (one head) some yellow unknown at the moment (5 heads) and some green unknown at the moment ones (5 heads).

Thanks for looking at my post!

Archived