Top Shelf Aquatics

Black stuff on Zoa

FishFrog

I have been searching around this site and others trying to figure out what is wrong with my zoa polyps. They have been slow to open, or not opening at all lately.

Now I noticed some black stuff on the side of one polyp. I tried to remove it, but it looks like it is coming out of the stalk of the polyp itself. This polyp detached a few days ago, that is why it is glued like that.

I went through the pest id section but I can't figure this out. It can't be pooping out of its stem, so what is it? Would really appreciate any help or ideas.

Parameters are normal. Tank has been up since November. Zoas added about two weeks ago.

14763374894_a2a6107237_b.jpgzoasick2 by hessie.br88, on Flickr

14579086879_ca8eaa9acd_b.jpgzoa sick by hessie.br88, on Flickr

14742719686_878f986b43_b.jpgcolony by hessie.br88, on Flickr

I think something sliced it open and the black stuff is coming from inside. No idea whether hermits or a porcelain crab would do that though...

Two more polyps are affected now. Should I remove them altogether or is there some kind of treatment we can try?

The rest of the colony is looking better.

Spoke to the guy who sold us the zoa's and sadly his whole shipment has melted too. He says it is zoa pox, and has tried to dip them in all sorts of solutions. The frustrating thing is, we can't get our hands on Furan-2 here in the Netherlands. I really don't know what to do to try and save the last few polyps.

MirandaCaine

I just finished a battle with zoa pox myself... First it can and will spread to other healthy zoa colonies in your tank so quarintine them if you can. I used a 1gallon fish bowl with an air stone for flow... I couldn't find furan 2 either so I used a product by Jungle called fungus clear fizz tabs (sold at our local wal mart here) for fungal infections. Try looking for any fish med (fresh or salt) that has furazolidone, and or nitrofurazone, it worked like a charm... I've also heard or people using tetracycline (which is for bacterial infections) with some results. Not sure what is readily available in the Netherlands but try looking at the active ingredients of other fish meds and maybe you can find something with the right stuff... And let me add that I wasn't sure that they were going to make it because the frag still had the "pox" on it (after three 20 min. Dips) and I had taken it out of the bowl and was about to toss them out and the icky stuff just wiped off, 2 days later and they were all open and happy! I've also heard of people fragging the heck out of the colony and removing all the infected polyps. Sorry for the long winded response but I do hope it helps! Good luck!

I just finished a battle with zoa pox myself... First it can and will spread to other healthy zoa colonies in your tank so quarintine them if you can. I used a 1gallon fish bowl with an air stone for flow... I couldn't find furan 2 either so I used a product by Jungle called fungus clear fizz tabs (sold at our local wal mart here) for fungal infections. Try looking for any fish med (fresh or salt) that has furazolidone, and or nitrofurazone, it worked like a charm... I've also heard or people using tetracycline (which is for bacterial infections) with some results. Not sure what is readily available in the Netherlands but try looking at the active ingredients of other fish meds and maybe you can find something with the right stuff... And let me add that I wasn't sure that they were going to make it because the frag still had the "pox" on it (after three 20 min. Dips) and I had taken it out of the bowl and was about to toss them out and the icky stuff just wiped off, 2 days later and they were all open and happy! I've also heard of people fragging the heck out of the colony and removing all the infected polyps. Sorry for the long winded response but I do hope it helps! Good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

That is a really good idea, I'm going to try and find something like that.

Luckily we don't have any other zoas so it can't spread.

The whole frag looks like crap though, some of them are just black little stumps by now. :(

I am glad you managed to save yours though!

~ Hester

Archived